Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

… and unto fenny compton to change ends, as i said in a previous post the line is blocked so i managed some pics from the opposite side of the line

running round

Great photos as ever :)

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim but why run around when there are locos at both ends of the train?  

• RMweb Gold

As a continuation to the water eaton pics, where there were no tracks on thursday morning here is my train from tonight sat on some!!

9F585938-EC8C-45BE-AC23-E67800FDA500.jpg

next in was a tamper and then finally a rail delivery train, really busy up there tonight!

Not long after this pic the tamper went off and did its stuff on the line to the left (the new line)

8ABE849E-9708-4F6A-922D-F4D8687F3D8A.jpg

And the new station building at the parkway

D124CFDC-5A33-4574-80D4-72DD12031193.jpg

Once the track was tamped where required i drew forward and stone was dropped from my train

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Interesting couple of days, been back on the bicester job but lack of vans, trains south of leamington spa and hotels meant i've spent the night in frome!

Back on the job tonight from bicester to hinksey bringing out the train we worked in last night (top and tail 70 with 15 falcons), go the camera but not had a chance to get any pics so hopefully get a couple tonight

Then just for a change on friday ive got a log train from chirk to hereford

• Like 1

No, not me. Was out there the Saturday night of the bank slip at Harbury but there where no train movements. It is manned on three turns though with a vacancy there and the Banbury relief signalmen tied up covering vacancies at Banbury most of the time the two residents have been working almost continuous 12 hour turns for a while though the box is normally closed over part of the weekend. Hardly say it is busy there but it is surprising how many phone calls and miscellaneous faffing around there is out there. Out at Claydon tomorrow for a gentle perambulation down to Bicester as pilotman on the Bicester MOD trip. Next week I believe they are going to make an announcement about the future of the camp at Bicester.

• RMweb Premium

Next week I believe they are going to make an announcement about the future of the camp at Bicester.

Didn't the Chancellor say it was going to all be turned into one of the next generation of "Garden cities" a few years ago (presumably because the Government owns it planning permission will be easier to get plus the treasury gets a nice windfall from developers).

• RMweb Gold

The amount of building around bicester is unbelievable at the moment, even in the few years ive passed through there its grown 10 fold

Anyway, had a night in frome, now i know you shouldnt have regional stereotypes but this is genuinly the first poster i saw after i parked my car up in the town centre

D7FE1367-CAE5-4855-8377-B94CE59584FF.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The amount of building around bicester is unbelievable at the moment, even in the few years ive passed through there its grown 10 fold

Anyway, had a night in frome, now i know you shouldnt have regional stereotypes but this is genuinly the first poster i saw after i parked my car up in the town centre

Help!! Saw them when Adge was still alive. Must have been 1971.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

D7FE1367-CAE5-4855-8377-B94CE59584FF.jpg

Is this a picture of the SWAG group members.??

Which is Cap'n Kernow.????

Morning Jim,

I like the poster and I'm amazed they are still going so long after the death of their original leader. Met Adze Cutler and the boys when I lived in Cornwall in the seventies - great and really funny bunch of chaps, but it did occur to me at the time that they didn't do much for the stereotypical image of a West Countryman!

Jim, yours really is a most interesting and entertaining thread - not only an 'inside' look at today's railways, but lots of other interest such as the expanding nature of Bicester where I spent quite a bit of time in the eighties with connections to the Reynard racing car company that was based there then. Exceptional curry house in the corner of the square in those days!

Beats me how you don't collapse from exhaustion sometimes with the pattern of your working hours, and the amount of time you spend going from one job to the next. Suppose it's never boring though?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jim,

I like the poster and I'm amazed they are still going so long after the death of their original leader. Met Adze Cutler and the boys when I lived in Cornwall in the seventies - great and really funny bunch of chaps, but it did occur to me at the time that they didn't do much for the stereotypical image of a West Countryman!

Jim, yours really is a most interesting and entertaining thread - not only an 'inside' look at today's railways, but lots of other interest such as the expanding nature of Bicester where I spent quite a bit of time in the eighties with connections to the Reynard racing car company that was based there then. Exceptional curry house in the corner of the square in those days!

Beats me how you don't collapse from exhaustion sometimes with the pattern of your working hours, and the amount of time you spend going from one job to the next. Suppose it's never boring though?

Kind regards,

Jock.

ANd to think that Jim left Chiltern for Colas to spend more time at home with the family!!!

• RMweb Gold

jock, i did have to have some time off with exhaustion last year, just got on top of me, dont let it happen any more!

it is a good varied job and i'm lucky where i get to go but i think as more and more trainee drivers come on line i will get less work out of my area and although i will miss the variety its what im ultimatly aiming for, more time at home but while the work is there and i can do it i will do so, i'll be gutted when the east/west link is finished as its my favorite job, hopefully i will still be about and available to be involved in the next stage of bicester to bletchley

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Definatly friday the 13th!!

Got to chirk to work the empty logs as far as hereford only to find a problem with the loco that manifested itself once i took power under load so i ended up failing it

Then to top it off the headlight blew en route to shrewsbury so i had to attach my lamp to the front of the loco and run round the triangle when i arrived into shrewsbury so the working light end was facing the right way, in all the time i've signed shrewsbury this morning was the first time ive even been round the 'loop' line behind severn bridge 'box!

Instead i took the loco to washwood heath and hoped to collect a replacement loco, as it happened it wasnt ready when i got there and would be some time so i had to leave bringing it back for someone else

Just a couple of pics, put inside at oxley to let a couple of passenger trains by

D125DCA5-7214-4DC1-AF3C-536C758D4FB1.jpg

8E727FF5-F7EA-4687-81DD-CCD5416F4285.jpg

43EF60C4-32AD-417C-9543-859FF6D5A599.jpg

• Like 15