Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2023 at 15:01, big jim said:

Back to it yesterday, landor st to crewe first, got to the station a bit earlier than planned and glad I did! 

as I drove to the station I noticed the LSL scotrail push pull set on the bridge toward Chester. Had a look in the maps and saw it was signalled out toward Chester on its test run, got to the station and grabbed a coffee and noticed the set in platform 12, apparently it had an issue on its test run and had to return to the depot 

DBSO 

IMG_9281.HEIC

IMG_9282.HEIC

IMG_9283.HEIC

A couple of minutes later the black TFW 67 came in, looking much better now it a a bit mucky!

IMG_9284.HEIC

Mk4 set with DVT 

IMG_9286.HEIC

Then a pair of 90s came in including one that was painted to match the MK4s when a grand central service to Blackpool was planned which never started due to covid etc 

IMG_9287.HEIC

IMG_9288.HEIC

And a pair of C2C 720s to complete the mad 5 minutes!

IMG_9289.HEIC

IMG_9290.HEIC

47712 departing for the depot 

FullSizeRender_4hYxAHgwfP3rzvqq7m9fXT.jp

after that it was off to bescot (was originally supposed to be landor st) for the first train to crewe

FullSizeRender_iVr6BExCEhmWeKeFXerFsn.jp

IMG_9295.HEIC

Into basford hall

IMG_9299.HEIC

we then went back to landor st to work another train to stockport like last night but I couldn’t be bothered with pics!

tomorrow is a rail drop at princes Risborough running out of bescot, I’ve got to go all the way to west ruislip to change ends though! 

@St Enodoc remember these??

Baz

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, big jim said:

Long job last night bescot to princes Risborough for a rail drop 

Hi Jim

I guess there must be a logical reason for having to go all the way from P. Risborough to South Ruislip in order to reverse / crossover, but couldn't this be done at either H. Wycombe or Gerrards Cross or any other crossover point?

By the way, thanks for the constant flow of information / pics.

• RMweb Gold

It’s all to so with the timings, I did actually looked into it as it’s a regular occurrence and I like to see if things can be made more efficient both time and cost wise given the tight timings on this job the move even happened the same years ago when I was with colas

Heading from bescot nothing follows us from aynho jn to Risborough but there are still trains running out of london to Aylesbury at that time of night both passenger and empty stock as well as one from Bicester to Aylesbury rhat we wait for at Bicester chord jn, so we have to go south to give them time to get onto the single line across to Aylesbury as if we stood in the platform we would block the route and if we changed ends at either wycombe or Gerrards we would do the same there too 

there isn’t much of a window to do work on the branch, the last passenger over it east bound is about 01:15 and the first one back west bound is about 05:15 so just a 4 hour gap to work 

when we leave the possession the first passenger train is pretty much running behind us so again if we sat in the platform that can’t get into risborough and even then if we did change ends and head north there are a couple of ECS trains that do Aylesbury to Bicester or banbury that we would block or delay if we left there out of sync 

I did have it a few years back where I noticed RTT showed us entering the single line before the last passenger service so I rang the box to let them know beforehand be be sure they regulated us correctly! 

it probably won’t be running tonight as we managed to drop all the required rail last night, as I say the possession timings are tight so they planned it to run over two nights incase if any delays taking the possession or unloading but we dropped the lot with about 20 mins to spare so I’m now having a day off tonight/tomorrow as it’s been a long week already!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, big jim said:

It’s all to so with the timings, I did actually looked into it as it’s a regular occurrence and I like to see if things can be made more efficient both time and cost wise given the tight timings on this job the move even happened the same years ago when I was with colas

Heading from bescot nothing follows us from aynho jn to Risborough but there are still trains running out of london to Aylesbury at that time of night both passenger and empty stock as well as one from Bicester to Aylesbury rhat we wait for at Bicester chord jn, so we have to go south to give them time to get onto the single line across to Aylesbury as if we stood in the platform we would block the route and if we changed ends at either wycombe or Gerrards we would do the same there too 

there isn’t much of a window to do work on the branch, the last passenger over it east bound is about 01:15 and the first one back west bound is about 05:15 so just a 4 hour gap to work 

when we leave the possession the first passenger train is pretty much running behind us so again if we sat in the platform that can’t get into risborough and even then if we did change ends and head north there are a couple of ECS trains that do Aylesbury to Bicester or banbury that we would block or delay if we left there out of sync 

I did have it a few years back where I noticed RTT showed us entering the single line before the last passenger service so I rang the box to let them know beforehand be be sure they regulated us correctly! 

it probably won’t be running tonight as we managed to drop all the required rail last night, as I say the possession timings are tight so they planned it to run over two nights incase if any delays taking the possession or unloading but we dropped the lot with about 20 mins to spare so I’m now having a day off tonight/tomorrow as it’s been a long week already!

Thanks Jim.

I can now see why there is a need for such a seemingly long diversion. At first look it seems very wasteful but slotting in with all of the passenger ECS movements and with such a short time available on the branch, it all becomes clear.

Still, it made for a long day for you - I'm sure that the day off today / tomorrow is welcome!

On 30/01/2023 at 20:02, big jim said:

This afternoon me and my dad went too london for a tour on a routemaster with Sir Peter hendy at the wheel and Tim Dunn giving a commentary on various landmarks we passed along the way 

set off from crewe, 197 in the bay 

IMG_9147.HEIC

97 waiting to head south

IMG_9148.HEIC

Not a good pic but 37688 shunting a black five and sir Nigel gresley

FullSizeRender_aPSWzKuoRB5harckA8E9Fx.jp

Pride Pendolino 

IMG_9150.HEIC

We then caught the Elizabeth line from Tottenham Court Road to paddington 

IMG_9152.HEIC

FullSizeRender_8VXXJtPY6kA1zgffRjk8mZ.jp

IMG_9154.HEIC

Paddington 

IMG_9155.HEIC

IMG_9157.HEIC

And on to the bus. Sir Peter was telling us this is his friends bus and is the first production routemaster 

IMG_9159.HEIC

IMG_9160.HEIC

Tim Dunn issuing tickets from Sir Peters own vintage ticket machine 

IMG_9162.HEIC

Front seats downstairs 

IMG_9166.HEIC

Ticket trouble! 
IMG_9171.HEIC

Book of Mormon theatre

IMG_9173.HEIC

London eye

IMG_9177.HEIC

Sir Peter Hendy who had given his bus and driving services free of charge for the evening as the money raised from ticket sales was all going to charity 

IMG_9180.HEIC

A brief stop on embankment 

IMG_9181.HEIC

FullSizeRender_wwY4j1JqqWCKp4WPTRyyn2.jp

St Paul’s 

IMG_9187.HEIC

Tower Bridge 

IMG_9193.HEIC

That was about it for pics, we finished at King’s Cross but had to hot it foot it to euston for our train home, should be back for 10 hopefully!  

Great to see RM5 still active. I remember going up the Mile End Road in it back in the 80's (Probably route 25). The earliest one I ever saw !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2023 at 23:04, brittannia said:

I usually manage  to video it at Hyde North about 15-40, Last week the earlier  empty Train one going to Cement Works Manchester , every empty wagon was very professionally Graffitied the train was very impressive bit strange every wagon was painted 

Probably done by the FOC to discourage the rattlecan brigade. 😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, big jim said:

Unless it’s a rail drop on the Romney Hythe and dymchurch railway it’s not happening, not taking anything work related with me! 

You could rebuild the Rye and Camber but it might take longer than your well deserved holiday!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

any suggestions of places to visit while down there, bearing  in mind its pretty much out of season, non railway suggestions appreciated, dungeness is definitely on the list hoping the ligthhouse is open, we may go on the train from Rye somewhere but not sure where yet, hastings maybe

looking at most of the local attractions (RHDR, port lympne, rye museum etc) they will be shut the week were there as its 1/2 term the week before in kent, shades of the royle family ‘pearl of preststyn’ holiday 

Edited by big jim
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Kent & East Sussex Railway is nice, and you can combine with Bodium Castle - but looks like it closed that week as well.

Battle is a nice village, looks like the abbey is open - that’s always a nice walk around the battlefield. The smugglers caves in Hastings were good as well but haven’t been since before covid. 

if you’re in Rye, Marinios fish bar is worth a visit 

• RMweb Gold

Most things are closed the week we’re there, we have activities to do at the holiday park like swimming, those dishes look interesting, might go and find them, might take a trip to Brighton on the train one day

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, big jim said:

Most things are closed the week we’re there, we have activities to do at the holiday park like swimming, those dishes look interesting, might go and find them, might take a trip to Brighton on the train one day

Get a ride on a 313, they are supposedly gone in May.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Get a ride on a 313, they are supposedly gone in May.

don’t think I’ll have much choice down there do I or are they already being replaced?

noticed the train from rye goes through to Eastbourne, thought the marsh line was just a diesel shuttle as far as Hastings, didn’t realise it went through, the last time I did the marsh link (apart from driving a 69 along it during training) it was a Hastings DEMU! (1987 iirc)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, big jim said:

don’t think I’ll have much choice down there do I or are they already being replaced?

noticed the train from rye goes through to Eastbourne, thought the marsh line was just a diesel shuttle as far as Hastings, didn’t realise it went through, the last time I did the marsh link (apart from driving a 69 along it during training) it was a Hastings DEMU! (1987 iirc)

yes the rundown has started.. 313203/9/16 stored Hove yard, 313215 at Selhurst.

Its very imminent, a move from Hove to Arlington was canceled on Friday, so assume those three are gone next week.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R04086/2023-02-10/detailed

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K05071/2023-02-10/detailed

Ive heard Sundays are all 377/3’s now already, as their replacement is simply shortening existing services, I’d imagine it could happen sooner without much difficulty.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking at other things to do further afield, might even go into london on the Wednesday for my birthday, from rye is only an hour via HS2 and if we go late in the it’s only £40 return for the 3 of us with the family railcard

• Like 3