Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Great set of pics Jim, I was on North Stafford Jn footbridge, ta for the tones and wave!

629BBFED-2C91-428D-8950-FCE9068BC4B4.jpeg.76c6926a153a62c9d07d4cecc2cc6d8b.jpeg
6EC0A744-B7B7-46D0-823A-4B48D7F93586.jpeg.b0dba1c9e483dca80164087dfda57d3f.jpeg

2 hours ago, big jim said:

interesting to note that on the trip back from Derby I saw a DB livery 60 in chaddesden, DCR in summerhill loop, Drax livery at Burton, and a Puma livery and DB in Kingsbury!

I saw the DCR too and a very claggy silver 60066, and thought same as you, how wonderful we’ve got 3 different FOCs running multiple 'tugs', when in circa-2009 EWS were running as few as 4 I believe…

D43B8A44-48FB-4C43-BE63-C66D2A00F2AC.jpeg.ac40cf607cfebae7992eaaf2faec847f.jpeg

25 minutes ago, big jim said:

it’s a weed killer train, looking at the labels that module this end contains the chemicals, the centre is the operating area and the end is an office/messroom 

I don’t know if there is more of it looking at the extra brackets over the buffers, will have to wait and see 

There are 3 full wagons' worth, it made its inaugural journey this summer to Tonbridge then did a few test runs and came back to Derby. Here it is on its first trip (Flickr link):

Whether they’re the same 3 wagons I’m not sure, I’d be able to say if I knew the 'original' 3 numbers (to compare to pics from today). Odd that now only the middle modules remain if so!

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Cracking pics jack, how long does my arm look in the waving pic though! 

the wagons are 95378, 79 and 80 

This morning it was originally marshalled with the module wagon to the rear but it had a couple of overhanging pipe brackets that looking at your previous pictures of the train were to do with the extra tanks on the other wagon, they looked like they may have fouled the loco end once we ran round so we reformed it with the loaded wagon in the middle before we left the rtc just to be sure 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Do you have a false hand on the end of a stick for such occurrences?

• Funny 6

the wagons are 95378, 79 and 80 

This morning it was originally marshalled with the module wagon to the rear but it had a couple of overhanging pipe brackets that looking at your previous pictures of the train were to do with the extra tanks on the other wagon, they looked like they may have fouled the loco end once we ran round so we reformed it with the loaded wagon in the middle before we left the rtc just to be sure 

I agree with Mick about your arm!

Interesting you had to re-marshal…would that mean it is out of gauge or is it 'allowed' at the drawhook ends as long as the rest is within gauge? Surely it would require runner vehicles in that case though…I dunno, pure speculation on my part!

The wagons appear to be the same set…found this Flickr pic from Tonbridge when they last escaped the RTC…

95380 KFA Tonbridge, 17/07/21

Jack.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The module I moved today must sit in the middle normally and the brackets look to have room between the ends and the tanks on the adjacent wagon, I think once it’s formed properly it’s pretty much a permanent fixed formation going by all the pipes and gubbins that are between the wagons, certainly splitting it would involve a lot more than disconnecting the brake pipe and coupling to get them apart! 

effectively the outer wagons today were acting as barriers/runners (certainly at one end anyway) 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack374 said:

I agree with Mick about your arm!

Interesting you had to re-marshal…would that mean it is out of gauge or is it 'allowed' at the drawhook ends as long as the rest is within gauge? Surely it would require runner vehicles in that case though…I dunno, pure speculation on my part!

The wagons appear to be the same set…found this Flickr pic from Tonbridge when they last escaped the RTC…

95380 KFA Tonbridge, 17/07/21

Jack.

Two tanks sitting on a kfa wagon… something for Revolution trains…?

The other wagon, does that make it the first container carrying people since the unions blocked guards in their container pod in the mid-1960’s ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i was wondering what the ride would be like too, compared to the 60s id like to think that the technology available today would result in a smooth ride be it some sort of shock absorbing floor or decent seating etc 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The other wagon, does that make it the first container carrying people since the unions blocked guards in their container pod in the mid-1960’s ?

There have been containers modified as Propelling Wagons. One such was used on the East Usk branch in Newport.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, big jim said:

Some from today, a wagon move from derby to bescot, should have been toton but the only spare loco was a class 60 in Bescot, shame!

I then took it down to chaddesden to churn round where 66794 was sat, first time I’ve seen it painted

Into the station to change ends and head back to the train 

Is/was the Outside Siding run around not available or not big enough? TIA.

Couple of articles on the new Smart Weed System Train here and here .

• Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not quite a wagon, but some of the weedkilling pods used on mpv sets have a cabin for an operator to sit in.

12 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

There have been containers modified as Propelling Wagons. One such was used on the East Usk branch in Newport.

2422. 66100 on 6H23 10.20 East Usk Branch Birdport - Llanwern Exchange Sidings passing Eat Usk Junction at 10.12 on 28th December 2017

(Flickr link)

Think it was modified to replace a shark (probably the last one on DBs books).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Was that you on the 196 this morning departing New St via the Derby tunnel on your way back to Tyseley.

I was sitting in the dip on the Down Coventry waiting time to arrive into New St. 

That's some acceleration on thos 196's.

Cheers 

Colin 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

196 in new st

I know taste is subjective and all that, but I really don't understand how some people like the appearance of say a 150 and then think these look awful!

I wish Northern had got theirs with this front end too, looks better than the 195/331 end IMO (although I do quite like that too).

I hope somebody does a model of the CAF units TBH.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They are a smart looking unit but the livery is a bit too fussy in my opinion, they look much better in the plain TFW white and red, still need yellow ends though!

The black and orange without the fiddly lattice bits would be a lot tidier.

John

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

the ‘high street’ in longbridge is part of the new build development of the area and is one of the most soul less places I’ve ever had to stay, the public open space is a mass of concrete and roughly planted trees and green areas that just doesn’t make sense, there is no sense of history there other than some of the street names have old Austin/rover names, there is some sort of ‘timeline’ laid out in plaques on one of the walkways but a lot of them are missing! 

They say people don’t learn from history - sounds just like the town planning mistakes of the early 60s with walkways and concrete.

Paul.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I’ll get some pictures later, it’s just got no soul, I like places with charity shops, independent places etc, this is just Greggs (not complaining about that), Poundland, kfc, specsavers, pure gym, Sainsburys, and a coupe of chain pubs all built round a car park, apparently it’s now the ‘financial district’ of Birmingham 

when I went for a run last night I went out toward lickey and there were some lovely places on the edge of the town both houses and pubs/restaurants 

it must be bad I’m actually looking forward to riding to redditch later for a look round there! 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1