4mm Harsco Rail Grinder Twin Set

Pete Harvey

Andy's given his blessing for me to post this pic that he took of the grinder on Pete Harvey's "Peter's Street"

attachicon.gifGrinder_s.jpg

Frankly I think he's having us all on and he's photoshopped a picture of the real EU1 onto Pete's layout ;)

Seriously though, having seen the model today when it was handed over to our Sales Director I am truly impressed and Pete has surpassed all expectations in this project :)

All I can say is awesome !

The results of this will hopefully give rise to a few more on trackplant items

I think it's time to look at upskilling myself in the art of soldering and working with etched brass !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With all those yellow cabs around (and more to spray yellow), I think you'll be needing one of these next to paint them in! Looking good by the way, and as they've found use across the country i'll be having one for my newfound Scottish layout.

post-7515-0-64399200-1378324602.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Look what I have :)

post-6717-0-76861400-1383744414_thumb.jpg

First off 3D print drive bogie I am test assembling for Pete, it will have a shaft drive from the motor with a rubber belt to get the drive to the axles. The black bit is a pivot that clicks unto the top mounting. This screws to the body of the grinder.

Need to order the wheels, gears, bearings, pullys and drive belt, oh and put a kit together to test it ......

• Like 4

Loosely connected and just for info - a member of staff was electrocuted whilst working on UK2 at Stafford this AM. Thankfully not a fatality but injuries are life-changing. Fingers crossed for recovery.

The Incident is subject to investigation so requesting no comments on this thread please

The kit it's self is proven eight models have been made with no major issues as Ian says the driven version of the model has to be proven now, the drive works in theory and it uses items that have been used in several other models with good results, so there should not be any major issues Ian and I will keep you posted on this our progress.

It took me 18 months to design the basic kit and I for one feel it was worth the time well spent, I hope that the others who have seen the models completed so far will agree?

I think the very old saying "Don't spoil the boat for a hapeth of tar" fits the bill in this instant.

Pete

Been checking in on this thread every so often, great to see the progress being made on the drive system.

Will the bogie(s) and associated drive components be avaliable in EM and P4? Assuming the drive system is based around parts from Hollywood Foundry, my understanding was that the wheel sets were only avaliable in OO (for this type of drive) , and come ready assembled with the pulley mounted on the axle.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Wheels will be totally up to the builder. For the prototype driven version I have just bought 4 pairs of these, the pickup springs will be removed for the driven bogie wheelsets. DC kits also sell plain 12mm wheels in all of the popular 4mm gauges http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/blk_beetle_motors_wheels/new_nickle_silver_high_quality_wheels_sets_on_hardened_non_magnetic_brass_axles_pack_of_2_.php

hope that helps

The Drive Bogie has been designed by myself with a great deal of help from Nigel Lawton the initial plan was to use Hollywood Foundry for the drive system but the system did not prove flexible enough to give what I wanted and worked out very expensive to purchase on it's own.

There will be a shopping list sent out with the instructions for the drive system and it's up to the customer to purchase the individual parts weather they be modelling in 00, EM or P4.

The production Kit of the model will be the earlier Network Rail version as in post #52 above there are several small differences between this and the commission model I built for Harsco namely being the type of lights used and the position of the Horns, steps. (all of the horns will be in cast brass in the production kit)

Pete

post-6665-0-26715600-1384255444_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-09492300-1384255679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete Harvey
  • Like 6

Thanks for the info.

I had forgotten that Nigel Lawton also does belt drives. Good to hear that the bogies have sufficient clearance to fit P4 wheels (with the pin-points removed?) Is the drive system designed with a particular motor in mind - will there ba an etched or 3d printed mounting frame/cradle? 

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK, time for an update:

I've been beavering away first assembling the drive bogie and then starting to build the first off of the "production" etches that build the Network Rail version (UK1 to 5) of the Grinder.

I can confirm that the bogie worked first time although it does need a lot of running in to get smooth. It's the gear mesh I think, but once bedded in it's now running well.

So here's the bogie parts from Shapeways

post-6717-0-25495800-1386798207_thumb.jpg

and here's the complete bogie before fitting to the chassis

post-6717-0-14798800-1386798214_thumb.jpg

chassis

post-6717-0-20689100-1386798313_thumb.jpg

with front bogie (shapeways again)

post-6717-0-83043200-1386798221_thumb.jpg

here's a top view of the assembly with the drive bogie in place

post-6717-0-85717700-1386798229_thumb.jpg

I modified the motor mounting to take a Mashima 1024, should be big enough for such a small train, it powers my Alexander class 15 with 10 wagons fine .....

post-6717-0-67706800-1386798236_thumb.jpg

Then I started the body, first the frame goes together

post-6717-0-40481000-1386798243_thumb.jpg

then the cladding starts with the roof

post-6717-0-38076300-1386798199_thumb.jpg

Here's a vid of the chassis running - this was before a good running in session, so is still a bit rough

That's all for now, cladding for the sides next then some detailing before I tackle the cab!

It's all gone together very well, but you will need a good set of tweezers as some parts are VERY small and fiddly, I missed out the strengthening ribs on the lifting eyes and couldn't retro fit them as they were soooo tiny.

• Like 7