Mr Wiles (WombatofLudham) is down to stay again with us so here are a couple of shots from our operating time on the layout. First up the jocko and brake van work a trip to the Chemical works

21078361853_025b269f28_b.jpgJocko and Brake van by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

86434 works a van train to Pendeford along the Up and Down goods line.

21512504639_e7602613ed_b.jpgAC Van train by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

21512503269_7476fc1436_b.jpg86/4 on the vans by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst Mr Wiles was visiting I had some stock alterations to the fleet, I disposed of 47594 and replaced it with 37251 which was in the FGWB Tinsley Class 37 Speedlink pool in 1988.

21976697251_59bbd74676_b.jpg37251 Tinsley FGWB pool by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

Another addition to the fleet is an early Christmas gift from WombatofLudham

21778826520_09400f78f2_b.jpgClass 150 DMU by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

One of his former "Kings Oak" DMU's which has been cascaded by the updated Bachmann model.

Payday is fast approaching so I'll be purchasing some more ballast to try and finish off this ,long standing job, another item on my list is some more PSR boards to place at key locations.

Simon

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Catch up time, the layout is still here as am I   :senile:  .With the use of scouring pads I've been adding some bushes to add some colour and interest to the scenics.

23598253821_bbcc89028b_b.jpgBrush with the bushes by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

23813472385_126212cdcb_b.jpgSAM_3525 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

I've also purchased two more Heljan Cargowaggons off sub39h of this parish

23185347504_0abf7fc0a9_b.jpgSAM_3523 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

23705053842_7cc0f37f80_b.jpgSAM_3524 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

Meanwhile I've been weathering some more rolling stock for use on the layout

23787382226_e50c715937_b.jpgSAM_3535 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Simon

• Like 12

Hello,

Glad to see you back, layout and stock are looking great.

Dave.

Agree with Thames611, Nice to see you back.

nice additions, I like 47003.

Wishing you and yours a great Christmas and a Happy New Year Simon.

Jinty ;)

Thank you Gents, the usual reasons of other matters coming first and leaving little time for messing about with trains in a model sense.

Happy Christmas to you both and all that read my thread.

Simon

• Like 2

I've been working on the corner of the layout over by the window next to the fiddle yard. I've always thought I could improve it (area concerned is to the left in the pic below)

14689970619_202f262deb_k.jpgfiddle yard alterations by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

here it is in it's hopefully improved state, I do intend adding some more ballast and foliage.

23590544580_6cf8ed7e99_k.jpgCorner area by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

Thanks 

Simon

• Like 9

Over Christmas I found time to do a few little jobs around the layout as well as working on my long standing Class 81 project.

Looking at the blue sky board behind Pendeford wharf I decided that adding two wing walls would lift this rather blank space, the results can be seen below

24016781846_6355b2658c_b.jpgscenic walls by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

23416106663_ed36553486_b.jpgscenic walls1 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

The Class 81 has been on the go for nearly two years now, the body is a Trix one kindly given to me by WombatofLudham and the chassis is from a Bachmann Class 85, this was started when I was intent on modelling the 70's. Now I've moved to the late 80's I'll need to get myself a later variant 85 as a donor, the choke arrangement changed as well as the three air tanks on the roof.

23414658634_f5021633a8_b.jpgAL1 81017 by Simon Barnes, on Flickr.

I've got an etched BR arrow and leaping salmon transfers on there way from Fox, once they have been added I'll be weathering the loco up to match my neglected 85.

Simon

Edited by bescotbeast
  • Like 8

Was the 85 chassis a reasonable fit? I've got a Trix 81 body currently on a modified Hornby Class 86 which has been well detailed to early 1960s condition so if the 85 chassis is a good fit I might change it so I can sound-chip it.

If it doesn't hammer down with snow before the end of January I will have to try and get down to see the new works. I'll probably have finished off my current jar of curry paste by then...

Was the 85 chassis a reasonable fit? I've got a Trix 81 body currently on a modified Hornby Class 86 which has been well detailed to early 1960s condition so if the 85 chassis is a good fit I might change it so I can sound-chip it.

If it doesn't hammer down with snow before the end of January I will have to try and get down to see the new works. I'll probably have finished off my current jar of curry paste by then...

Evening Mark, the chassis and body both required some work (i'e shaving the insides of the bodyshell and removing some plastic on the chassis ends) to allow them to fit each other. I'm glad you like the new works by the way, I'll have to get some more ballast next pay day and try to finish this outstanding job.

Regards

Simon

P.S I did try and ring you earlier by the way.

Hi Simon,

Hope you had a good Christmas. The layout is coming on well and I love the class 81.

Can you tell me who does the pallets of bricks please, I could use some as a wagon load.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hello Peter, as ever it was short and sweet and I'm back at work once again. Scenic progress is slow as I'm always wondering what to do with certain areas and where to obtain the little bits I see on others layouts.

The stack of bricks is from Harburn Hamlet item no FL160.

Have yourself a great New Year Peter.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just had three days off (sadly I'm now back at work) and I had some time to try and create some up to date videos of my layout trying to look like a slice of the real world. Two links can be found below and I hope you enjoy them.

Simon

Edited by bescotbeast
  • Like 9