Hi Simon

Its a great experience doing an exercise with the fire brigade. I did two when I was a manager with Chiltern. One with Oxford Fire Service at Fenny Compton and another in Small Haeth sidings with West Midlands. The first was a reconstructed collision between two passenger trains and the second was a collision with a road vehicle carrying dangerous goods. 

Very Educational to say the least watching them in action.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Great looking layout.

Do you know roughly how many and of what type of wagons you have?

How many freight trains can you run at the same time?

I'd say I have about 50 wagons, I've never counted them to be honest. I can safely run 2 trains on the main whilst just about managing to keep an eye on a shunt in the yard.

Thanks for taking a look at my thread.

Simon

• Like 2

When Mark arrived on Friday, he had a consignment of stock trays built for me by Barnes Snr. These fit into my pine draws with two trays per draw. I now at long last have somewhere safe to store my wagons rather than rolling about in old cardboard fruit boxes.

29854967450_883cdc87fe_b.jpgstock trays by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

Something else i'm undertaking is a refurbishment program of my growing collection of Hornby MGR wagons. They have the old Hornby coupler cut off and a Parkside NEM coupler pocket glued on, a Bachmann cranked NEM coupper is then fitted along with some new wheels (again from Bahmann). The pivoting axles are glued, then they are primed with Halfords grey primer, the under-frame is Halfords Satin black, the hopper is Vauxhall Star Silver 2, the hopper frame is Vauxhall Flame red and then the details are picked out with Humbrol enamel's, White, Trainer Yellow and a Red (I forget which one), Transfers are then added from Fox.

29854968540_6b2b7a7790_b.jpgrefurbished HAA wagon by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Great video.

Love the opening and the 80s music

Yes agreed the opening sequence was great, and I liked the 31 on the VGA's.

Nice Peak too, I'd of thought something a bit more upmarket than a couple of parcels vans though!!!

Very nice though all the same

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Great video.

Love the opening and the 80s music

Thanks, that is the look that WombatofLudham and myself wanted to go for.

Great video liking the 56 on mgrs haas looking a bit too clean for my tastes

David

Agreed David, they seriously need weathering, one approach I'm looking into is weathering powders

Yes agreed the opening sequence was great, and I liked the 31 on the VGA's.

Nice Peak too, I'd of thought something a bit more upmarket than a couple of parcels vans though!!!

Very nice though all the same

Jinty ;)

Thanks for stopping by Jinty old fruit, it's 1988 so the Peaks were utilised on very lowly jobs as the class was being run down,the last survivors were withdrawn in August 88. I am looking at expanding the Parcels train, it's just finding stock at the right price  :onthequiet:

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

I`m a bit late in finding this,but you`ve got a cracking set up there Simon.

I`m still reading through the post`s,but i do like your back story and the way you`ve fitted the layout into the West Mid`s.....

Excellent,

Brian.

Edited by Tove

I`m a bit late in finding this,but you`ve got a cracking set up there Simon.

I`m still reading through the post`s,but i do your back story and the way you`ve fitted the layout into the West Mid`s.....

Excellent,

Brian.

Thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment

Looks fantastic!

Can I ask which wheels you used to replace the old ones on the MGR wagons?

I have a collection of old Hornby MGRs (they must be old, the code is only 3 digits!) that derail on a whim, and after some much appreciated advice at the Peterborough show got a Back to Back gauge which showed the original moulded wheels were nowhere near where they should be. So, methinks a wheel upgrade would be a good idea!

Thanks,

Martyn

Looks fantastic!

Can I ask which wheels you used to replace the old ones on the MGR wagons?

I have a collection of old Hornby MGRs (they must be old, the code is only 3 digits!) that derail on a whim, and after some much appreciated advice at the Peterborough show got a Back to Back gauge which showed the original moulded wheels were nowhere near where they should be. So, methinks a wheel upgrade would be a good idea!

Thanks,

Martyn

Martyn thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment, the wheels are these http://www.hattons.co.uk/6985/Bachmann_Branchline_36_017_14_1mm_Metal_disc_brake_wagon_wheels_on_10_metal_axles_Pack_of_20/StockDetail.aspx and along with glueing the pivoting axles have improved the running no end (if you watched the video then you'll have seen them in action)

Regards

Simon