Help! All the best station names are taken...

Pete 75C

Having recently dabbled in N gauge and got it out of my system (I suffer from pork sausage finger syndrome), I now have the time and space to get my Broad Street homage off the drawing board and onto the plywood.

The track plan for this project has appeared elsewhere on RMWeb so I won't repeat it here. Basically, we're looking at a London-based  minories-type terminus firmly set in the mid 70s, similar to Ripper Street, and with a nod to Pallet Lane - two of my all time favourites.

The dilemma I have is that being a South Londoner, I have to have 3rd rail and a 2EPB and a 4SUB - that kind of rules out the North London Line unless I include a huge dollop of modeller's license...

Like Ian Futers (a better and more prolific modeller than I ever will be), I like to make the station name boards very early on in the build. I need a name. I don't want a prototype location and I don't want to copy anything already modelled (Ripper Street springs to mind - love the name, but someone's already been there and done that).

In desperation, I'm getting close to picking something at random from Google Maps! I'm partial to the West London line through Kenny and grew up near Wandsworth. Wandsworth Road would be good, but it exists as a station in real life.

If anyone has any ideas for a name that would suit a grimy suburban London terminus, I can use all the help I can get!

Pete.

• RMweb Gold

How central/far out is your grimy station to be? A few thoughts for something towards central london

Wandsworth Park -mplies a clean place which it will not be

Battersea Road

Kennington Park - Station built to serve the Oval cricket ground originally

Further out

Tooting Common

Durnsford Road

Garratt Lane (A grave yard just off the A3)

Hope this helps

South Croydon, East Croydon and West Croydon exist "in real life", so why not fill the missing gap and do North Croydon? 

You have Bromley North and Bromley south (one through, one terminus) as well so you could always look on Google Maps and see if any names jump out as appealing?

My - that was quick. Your brain cells are all firing quicker than mine today. Thanks so far. As to location, I guess I should have a "what might have been" scenario in mind. I'm tempted to go for a spur off of the West London line offering maybe an excuse for the odd inter-regional parcels train and light engine movement, although I'm drawn to Ian's suggestion of Walworth Road and anything that has Wandsworth or Battersea in it.

Thanks so far - I really have been struggling with this for weeks! Pete.

South Croydon, East Croydon and West Croydon exist "in real life", so why not fill the missing gap and do North Croydon? 

You have Bromley North and Bromley south (one through, one terminus) as well so you could always look on Google Maps and see if any names jump out as appealing?

Cromptonnut - I had considered Croydon North but before I die I'd always planned to model West Croydon as it was in the 70s with A Box on the gantry and B box nestled under the bridge, also the crossover to the Wimbledon line with the semaphore starter halfway down platform 4 under the canopy. I'm keeping Croydon for when I'm old(er) and grey(er).

Why not move your chosen location further north on the ex L&SW main line. Call it Pimlico and have it served from a spur from Vauxhall. Say it was the L&SWRs attempt to get into the city more. Have it served by a plethora of rush hour trains from all over the SW Division..... oh and if you set it in the 70's, reverse the Vauxhall milk tanks there instead of Waterloo.....

If you want to set it on the WLE and have it south of the river, you only have a small portion of Battersea to locate it

Just a thought

Disgusting of Market Harborough

You probably have some pun opportunities if you give it some thought.

"Fort Neef", a Scottish terminal I might well do one day, is of course Thornton Heath in the local vernacular, as is the sleepy country halt of Strett Mill (Streatham Hill).

• RMweb Premium

If you like the idea of Battersea - you could have a terminus (Battersea Bridge) on the south side of the Thames running down to Clapham Junction. 

Lol @ cromptonnut. I like Fort Neef and Strett Mill.

Someone suggested to me a while back Lots Road, after the LU power station on the river bank. It's in the right area, and the possibilities to imagine some coal traffic having to reverse to gain access to the power station is appealing, although totally unlikely in the 70s.

Thanks again to all - you've given me food for thought and that's all I can ask for. Much appreciated.

Beast's Cromwell Rd (SW7) has given me an idea - not as a name, but as in the surrounding area. The idea about rivers / river names fits in as well. I have a "what if" in my head at the moment to justify SR 3rd rail on the "wrong" side of the river. The possibility is there for a little freight traffic and an overground underground bay platform (if you get what I mean, similar to Kensington Olympia). Thanks again to all.

Trisonic - that's my problem - open a London A-Z at any page and there's a dozen names that would work - I just haven't found one I like yet!

Pete.

Choose  local  river  or  stream  name.  (Including  those  long  covered  up)

Add  suffix  from  Bridge,  Ford,  Pond,  Mouth,  Rise,  Marsh,  Common,  Field,  Road    to  suit  avoiding  any  real  matches.

This  should  give  a  plausible  local  name  for  any  location.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

You probably have some pun opportunities if you give it some thought.

"Fort Neef", a Scottish terminal I might well do one day, is of course Thornton Heath in the local vernacular, as is the sleepy country halt of Strett Mill (Streatham Hill).

And me mustn't forget Fourpence Each, Tipsy Jill and Screaming Alice! (Thornton Heath, Gipsy Hill and Crystal Palace)

How about Hobbs End, but be very very careful with the excavations- there have been rumours and nobody seems to know anything about the Central Line extension that was being built there during the 1950s until all work and references to it suddenly stopped !!

How about Hobbs End, but be very very careful with the excavations- there have been rumours and nobody seems to know anything about the Central Line extension that was being built there during the 1950s until all work and references to it suddenly stopped !!

Agreed - there's something strange going on there...

post-17811-0-30247300-1368253073.jpg

Archived