...and now for something completely different

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. Next on the bench is going to be a real challenge as I am entering Coachman territory and I'll have to watch my Mr Blobby soldering skills as well as 'detail differences' :rtfm: . However I'm sure Coach will let me know what to beware of if he has extricated himself from the 'revolving' shed and his back has recovered :acute: 

Yer 'tis (well sides anyway)

post-2326-0-45895400-1368344910_thumb.jpg

This is to be done to an 'Intermediate' level (Comet soldering service) but leaving off the gangways (Masokits later?), to EM with Ultrascale wheels and appropriate sprung buffers (MJT?): otherwise standard Comet kit as supplied (and very nice too).

Comet sides; I've scribed the required 'door' lines (easily forgotten) and fettled the etch tabs which has to be done very carefully as these are 'delicate' babies.

I'll be taking a brandy before tackling the turn-under(s)

I've checked my  Jenkinson and these are handsome coaches, just on the transition between period i and ii. 

So what is it then you LMS guys and gals?

Quack

Don't have a clue what it is myself Mallard, but it looks wooden and early part of last century to me.

Regardless, you were very supportive of my Pullman builds a few years ago, so I'm going to watch progress here and whilst probably won't be able to advise, I'll be happy to offer words of encouragement, (is that spelt right - looks wrong to me).

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

No idea what it it (apart from being quietly confident that it is not a coal wagon) but I will be watching this with much interest, as I al trying to summon up the courage to start some coachbuilding myself...

Keep 'em coming.

George

Is it one of these?

post-9192-0-50987600-1368353105_thumb.jpg

Rest open third. I think these were permanently paired with their Rest cars, mine will live with a D1811. Phil I have yet to see something other than sublime grace your build logs.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Ah ha. You LMS guys are on the ball today. It must be the Wigan influence......................... :danced:

Yup, 'tis going to be a D1738 version of the beautiful LMS 1930 - 32 built, Standard Period ii Gangwayed stock. This makes it a 60', 56 seat vestibule 3rd (1930) used as a dining car, in an excursion train that will eventually grace (once completed by the 'in house'* C & W Dep't) a certain layout in the vicinity of Abingdon.

Fortunately I don't have to paint this. It is possible that a certain other webber might be doing this once it has been smartened up by the above* lads? I think it will be full, panelled livery? I don't have to do the innards either - phew! (Too many tables....)

Mike - your pic certainly helps me see where I'm going; thank you. Beautiful coach mate. I think the livery suits it too.

George - I wouldn't start with one of these, but I will recommend the Comet LMS  Kitchen car or 50' Full Brake; both very nice kits for 'new entrants' (although the Kitchen Car has an interesting array of roof fittings :D ). Go on, have a bash!

Sean - it's metal, honest (and the 'real thing' was metal too as far as I know).

Quack

Ah ha. You LMS guys are on the ball today.

LMS guy.........LMS GUY !!!

Now where is the 'How Dare You' button on this new fangled rainbow voting bar thingy?

BR(W) Guy  :beee:

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Andy. 

Anyhow, anyone having built Comet kits will know that a few coach types have what I would term 'rather thin' sides, in that they feel as if they might bend 'fatally' under the blundering fingers such as mine :ireful: .They are, of course, absolutely fine; it is just me being feeble.  

So, as I have done with some of these LMS (sorry Andy) coach sides before, I have soldered a strip of scrap brass conveniently left over from a Comet underframe!

post-2326-0-32009200-1368373256_thumb.jpg

One has to be a little careful to avoid distortion along the length. The close up lens distorts here; the sides are 'true' I can assure you.

I have already formed a turn-under on each side and added the hinges. The hinges do hinder the soldering of ends to sides just a tad but that isn't really a problem. 

Quack.

• RMweb Premium

Here is the carcass, reinforced with a suitable 'spacer'. I quite like the etched panelled ends and they should look really good once the new owner has fitted those lovely Midland style gangways. I fit the end steps after joining the sides and ends

For one horrible moment I felt a cold shiver down my back as I thought '.......oh, the droplights....', thinking I had raced ahead (as usual, but Coach wouldn't call it 'racing'), however they are etched in on these sides, which is OK but makes representing a partially open drop a real faff. I'm not giving this coach any open drops then.......... :scratchhead:

post-2326-0-18446000-1368378033_thumb.jpg

I've run out of motivation now so I'll get on with the under-frame tomorrow.

Quack

• RMweb Gold

No idea what it it (apart from being quietly confident that it is not a coal wagon) but I will be watching this with much interest, as I al trying to summon up the courage to start some coachbuilding myself...

Keep 'em coming.

George

I've started with a Comet Mk I, largely because there's lots of photos available to see where everything goes.

• RMweb Premium

I've started with a Comet Mk I, largely because there's lots of photos available to see where everything goes.

Oh you will have fun doing that and they look really smart. Let me know what you do to get the undergubbins attached; you'll understand later..... :sarcastichand:

P

• RMweb Gold

Oh you will have fun doing that and they look really smart. Let me know what you do to get the undergubbins attached; you'll understand later..... :sarcastichand:

P

Undergubbins already attached, mainly with low melt solder.

I've stalled on fitting the internals, only because I find it boring and I haven't a layout on which to run any stock.

• RMweb Premium

As many of you know I have a 'butterfly' (not duck) work style, however I have made some progress today.

Four 'end door' sole-bar step-boards on this coach; neat 'overlappers' as I call them!

I illustrate one that shows the 'Comet' method of attachment i.e. 4.5mm wire placed through a hole drilled in the sole-bar with a handy strip of scrap etch, measured, shaped and soldered to the wires and used as the step. I cut a slot in the bufferbeam for the 'overlap'.

post-2326-0-69984200-1368628618_thumb.jpg

The other pic shows the undergubbins; whitemetal castings that are low melt soldered to the under-floor.

post-2326-0-84902200-1368628661_thumb.jpg

As I am awaiting the EM wheels and LMs sprung buffers from the new owner I am not progressing with the bogies.

I'll be sorting the roof sometime soon instead.

P

I have only just come across your thead Mallard. It may be of interest that this particular body came with several diagram numbers depending on the type of interior. The model is looking good

Beware though, the Comet sides havn't got droplights etched in, in fact it is impossible on these low-waisted panelled coaches. Sorry to add some cheer but you will have to find droplights.

• RMweb Premium

I have only just come across your thead Mallard. It may be of interest that this particular body came with several diagram numbers depending on the type of interior. The model is looking good

Beware though, the Comet sides havn't got droplights etched in, in fact it is impossible on these low-waisted panelled coaches. Sorry to add some cheer but you will have to find droplights.

Hi Coach Thanks. Do you mean the main window droplights? I saw that the diagram I am doing* appears to have two droplight main windows in the drawing in Jenkinson. The end door 'voids' appear to have a drop or am I seeing things? (See first pic in post 19 to see what I mean). The main windows are all identical though as you intimate. I really can't see me sorting out any main window drops on this one.

I'm doing *D1738 the 60' 56 seat version (assume 14 tables) and according to Jenkinson was externally identical to some others. I'm not responsible for anything other than the body, frame, bogie, and roof construction and not fine detail either. The C & W Dept will be doing that.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated especially as I'm up to do a D1746 Open Bk 3rd next.

Penguin - I can assure you there is a flavour of 'bodge' with that 'crisp underframe'

Phil @ 36E

You are mstaking the door panel behind the raised beafding for a droplight. The doors still need droplights soldering on them. All LMS passenger doors were from the high waist period even in Stanier's days and so low-waisted raised panelling leaves the window orifice high and dry.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, thanks Coach That explains that. I'll see what I can find in my 'spares box! They were/(are?) not included in this particular kit.*

I've noticed that the D1746 Bk 3rd has loads of drops, including what I would term 'main' window spaces; oh joy.

P

*EDIT: I am happy to point out that I am an idiot and the drops were there all the time as Geoff says - look at the first photograph - doh. That will teach me to be more observant and look at what I'm doing more carefully.

Archived