3MM Ready to Run?

The Dorset Wanderer

Wasn't a 47 and pair of mark 1 carriages proposed a few years back but didn't get off the ground through lack of interest?

I think with niche areas now being successfully produced maybe the project might get off the ground now.  But if Hornby were to get involved then they would need to produce a full trainset, ie track, controller, loco and a couple of wagons or carriages ... and that would make it quite a difficult proposition.

Also, to what track gauge do you cater for as standard?  If starting from a fresh it would make sense to go as fine as possible from the start, but what about all the TT fans?

I don't mean to sound negative, and quite like the idea of 3mm, but have far to many other modelling and non-modelling commitments!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Just voted and hope that Hornby can be enthused to act.  really lookforward to a black five or a scaled down class 50,60 and some Mk2 coaches, bogie tankers or parcels stock would go down well- just looking at current OO models worth a shot at the reduction machine - Brighton Belle would go well as would a 4 VEP!!!  

Puts coat on and leaves stage left !

Robert

Am I missing something? I thought that a substantial part of the charm of the less popular scales (FS 2mm, 3mm, S etc) is that there is no (or very little) ready to run so the scratchbuilder has a clear field. Choosing a scale that has little or no commercial support and then decrying the lack of commercial support just seems perverse. If you want RTR then 4mm (and increasingly 7mm) are the sensible choices, aren't they?

Chaz

I have always thought that 3mm was an ideal scale however I think the chances of it making a successful comeback are low. The other scales are so well established. I cannot see the current model railway market being able to support in a similar way to the other scales.

The abandonment of 3mm/TT by Triang was akin to a model rail version of the Beeching cuts in that in hindsight it could be considered as a mistake by some.

XF

• RMweb Gold

Hi I enjoy modelling in several scales and If Hornby feel it worth asking the question as Steve has passed on it is polite to answer! The poll just gives areas of scope and from other scales and gauges it is the RTR business which aids entry and leads many into the alteration/kit/scratch fields we all gain much enjoyment and some times frustration/heartbreak ! So agree it might seem perverse but if it helps the hobby and scale filling the gap between 4mm which can be too big in many small flats/bedsit and 2mm/N which for many is that bit fiddly then 3mm sits well -small enough for locations and big enough to see and make details then a few Hornby models would be very welcome. Certainly the price will be equal to OO models as it is the labour cost which makes up the major cost - just as Triang found out in the 60s and equally traders will blanche at carrying yet another scale/gauge combo. I would think sales would be via 3mm society and internet but hopefully some major traders will join in the fun. - Now back to my T scale HST now that is small!

Robert           

• RMweb Gold

The debate about rtr continues in parallel with Narrow Gauge modelling now Peco and Heljan have announced 009. There's no reason rtr can't stand alongside 'proper', (just tor the record I think a tad elitist against youngsters getting started!), modelling as some are good at buildings and scenery but either lack the skills or confidence to build chassis.

3mm is a cracking scale much like HOm it combines the best of 2 & 4mm's advantages if you like landscapes or are limited in space. Better running for small locos than 2mm but more room for the model than 4mm. I'd certainly go for it ;)

I made two TT scale figures .They started as N  scale bus driver and crew but got lost in the translation from milliput to figure so ende dup at TT scale. I did wonder about making them into a driver and guard.I like TT and consider a scale in waiting .

The debate about rtr continues in parallel with Narrow Gauge modelling now Peco and Heljan have announced 009. There's no reason rtr can't stand alongside 'proper', (just tor the record I think a tad elitist against youngsters getting started!), modelling as some are good at buildings and scenery but either lack the skills or confidence to build chassis.

I don't like the suggestion that RTR is not "proper" modelling or that people might think that. This fox needs to be shot right now. You are quite right, to hold that view would be elitist. On my 7mm layout I have steam locos that I built from etched brass kits mixing it with Heljan and Bachmann Brassworks RTR diesels, and a couple of big steam engines that were built for me (I just didn't fancy building them myself). They are all weathered and sit quite happily alongside each other.

Our hobby is big enough to include people of all abilities and that's how it should be.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

I think proper modelling has become a a bit of a meaningless phrase as where do you draw the line? Grind your own scenic materials, draw your own rail ;) there's fantastic stuff being produced and I know a professional model builder who is very glad rtr has blossomed for items that were mass produced in reality, like loco classes and wagons, as he can devote that time to the unique stuff and get more variety in than building three Jinties ;)

If people choose to scratchbuild everything great but it should be for the advantages of that particular scale, detail, running or fitting a space not because only scratchbuilders use it.

Top marks to DW for bringing this to a wider audience and its interesting to see Hornby considering other scales especially with the demise of lyddle end buildings for an established scale, one wonders why :/

With a small selection there is the opportunity to build what you need. So often this is now difficult with the plethora of R-T-R in the major scales.

The variety of kits available in 3mm enables one to expand a layout without, if a small selection of locos and stock in R-T-R  were to become available, everything seeming the same which all too often happens with OO- thats the reason why I went to 3mm.

It also breathes new life into cottage industries which can only be a good thing.

Steve

P.S dont forget to vote- click on the link below.

• RMweb Gold

I shall go and try and find this poll.  I started modelling using TT3 back in the 60s, (1960 to be precise) ans when I gave some to my son in 1987 it still worked without any problems.  I left 3mm modelling as I have no skills in chassis building and have now onlyreally begun to move from kits to scratch building, but not chassis, not yet.  I love 3mm but I doubt if there will ever be enough support to tempt me back now.  However, if there had been the range of kits, and maybe new R-T-R twenty years ago I would have stuck with it.

I think proper modelling has become a a bit of a meaningless phrase as where do you draw the line? Grind your own scenic materials, draw your own rail ;) there's fantastic stuff being produced and I know a professional model builder who is very glad rtr has blossomed for items that were mass produced in reality, like loco classes and wagons, as he can devote that time to the unique stuff and get more variety in than building three Jinties ;)

If people choose to scratchbuild everything great but it should be for the advantages of that particular scale, detail, running or fitting a space not because only scratchbuilders use it.

Top marks to DW for bringing this to a wider audience and its interesting to see Hornby considering other scales especially with the demise of lyddle end buildings for an established scale, one wonders why :/

I agree with nearly all of your post Paul. the only point of contention is the "should" in "If people choose to scratchbuild everything great but it should be for the advantages of that particular scale". The reasons that modellers choose their subjects and scales are as various as the models themselves. Logic need play no part, thank goodness.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

I don't believe that 3mm models on 12mm (4ft to scale) track would be the way to go in this day and age.

But Hornby have no real record for investing in track so they are not suddenly going to produce 14.2mm gauge to go below any locomotive.

Commercially, proper TT (1:120) would make better sense.

I don't believe that 3mm models on 12mm (4ft to scale) track would be the way to go in this day and age.

But Hornby have no real record for investing in track so they are not suddenly going to produce 14.2mm gauge to go below any locomotive.

Commercially, proper TT (1:120) would make better sense.

I can't see 1:120 British outline appealing to anyone - not to 3mm modellers, nor to continental TT modellers. There would have to be a whole raft of 1:120 British TT produced for it to make sense.

As has been said, any speculation this early is bound to be a bit wild. But it will be interesting to see how they price whatever they do, if anything.

Am I missing something? I thought that a substantial part of the charm of the less popular scales (FS 2mm, 3mm, S etc) is that there is no (or very little) ready to run so the scratchbuilder has a clear field. Choosing a scale that has little or no commercial support and then decrying the lack of commercial support just seems perverse. If you want RTR then 4mm (and increasingly 7mm) are the sensible choices, aren't they?

Chaz

Scratch builder always have a clear field /clean sheet /skys the limit /greenfield site etc .Thats why its called scratchbuilding .

If this were to go ahead, I feel it should be 3mm/ft.,  to one of the 3mm society standards, simply because they are established standards and in acknowledgement of the brilliant work they have done, past and present, in keeping the scale alive. It will also be an instantly available step for those in future who, having discovered 3mm scale through RTR, wish to develop further.

The main purpose of this entry, however, is to suggest, in parallel to this thread, a look on the Radio Control section of this Forum. Battery powered radio control itself as standard from the outset could be a big selling point for the new range, giving the advantages of reliable operation without the constant need to clean track and wheels, and no layout wiring. 

Steve

Is it possible to post the results of the poll? Your blog is saying there were only 2 votes...

Somehow the vote was compromised- up to over 50 on occasion but votes disappeared so whoever was responsible has wasted a lot of peoples time!

Will try again but using a different method.

Steve

Archived