Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

As it sez in the RCTS book on the Hughes, and Stanier Moguls, some were seen at BGP, but not south of, maybe Duncan (Blandford 1969) can confirm that. The same book lists places where they could be seen, but as John (LMS2968) has proved the Irwell book cannot be trusted, but I saw half the class at Willesden in the early 60's - none were allocated there at the time.

You could pretty well see all LMR 'mainline' locos anywhere in the 50s/early 60s. All the big sheds had services to anywhere in England/Wales and locos could appropriated by control to serve a short term need. No need to change numbers and shed plates, no need at all.

Regards

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You could pretty well see all LMR 'mainline' locos anywhere in the 50s/early 60s. All the big sheds had services to anywhere in England/Wales and locos could appropriated by control to serve a short term need. No need to change numbers and shed plates, no need at all.

Regards

quite

here's 44422 outside Beehive Mill, near Mayfield Ave in Bolton..

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/Bolton;4f;060/i-985jFSV/A

It's allocation history was Bristol / Bath & S&D Territory, the closest it's allocation was to Bolton, was Gloucester from for 4 months until withdrawal between  February 65 and July 65. According to the owning group, it's last Horwich overhaul was summer 1953.. however that pre-dates the late BR Emblem on the tender in this photograph by some years.

so at some point it made a very low speed 450 mile round trip to Lancashire to operate a local trip working before going back south.

Judging by the picture, and lancashires weather, this must have been a summer journey.

In preservation it's been to the ELR at Bury, but this is 100% the down line siding just north of Moses Gate in Bolton, the location pretty much looks the same today, except the extra siding to the Mill behind it which is long gone.

here's it today on google maps.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5637114,-2.4151808,3a,75y,189.12h,69.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8GvCEFhTFDAOAyqb8-LLnQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

or in Google 3D..

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5645426,-2.4155573,55a,35y,160.75h,75.67t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

While anything could turn up anywhere, it wasn't as common as people think, which is why so much space in Railway Magazine, Trains Illustrated, Railway Observer, etc. was devoted to such out of course workings.

A loco, coaching set, footplate crew, etc. would work to a Diagram. For a loco, this diagram might last 24 hours, three says or sometimes longer, and would start and finish at the home depot. The running foreman at that depot would allocate the engine to the diagram, and once complete might allocate the same or a different loco. Routine maintenance - washouts, X days and P&V exams, would be factored in. The diagram might involve a loco standing on a foreign shed for some hours, and if the allocated engine to a particular working wasn't available, it might 'borrow' the foreigner. Usually, but not always, this would bring it back on shed on time to resume its own diagram. Often this local working would be included in the original engine's diagram, the Polmadie and Upperby Stanier Pacifics being an example: too big for Crewe North's turntable, they were sent on a local to Salop (Shrewsbury outside the railway) where they would turn on the triangle so were the right way around on returning to Crewe. They were similarly used on the Cathcart Circle line in Glasgow, for similar reasons.

Occasionally, one would be purloined in times of need for a working which would not allow it to resume its booked diagram. Apart from the problem of scheduled maintenance already mentioned, the borrowing shed then had to find a replacement loco to work the remainder of the original loco's diagram, which in turn took it away from its own diagram, and so on. But it did happen and occasionally a loco would 'disappear' completely from its own shed's ken which, as maintenance days approached, would make strenuous efforts to find it, and it could be a long, long way from home!

But it did happen, as the afore-mentioned periodicals testify. On the other hand, I have sightings of the same loco working the same train day in, day out for weeks at a time.

• Like 1

I picked up my version of 2968 from Hattons yesterday. I am impressed with the model, although it refused to run on Hornby three-rail track. But the fittings! These are very fine, black details to be fitted into fine, black holes in a black engine, and it showed up that my eyesight has deteriorated far more than I had thought. I hope soon to be helping to reassemble parts on the real 2968, and I firmly believe that this will be the easier of the two tasks!

My copy of 42968 arrived from Hattons this morning. It has been run up and down my bit of 00 track and very much a picture of delight it is too.

I must say that the steam pipes issue isn't too noticeable to my eyes but the pony truck wheels are. Never mind I have a set of bevelled rim wheels in stock somewhere so they'll get changed whenever.

Comet do an etch for Stanier loco and tender steps http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcatpic.php/3/821 , are these appropriate for the mogul?

Regards

They do appear to be. These engines, and the 8Fs, had the steps backing which was vertical at the front and round at the rear; all other Stanier classes used a backing that was vertical front and rear, but splayed out towards the bottom step. I'm not aware of any differences in the sizes of these. I assume they're all the same, but won't swear to it.

Received mine yesterday, I really like it a lot. But can I add my voice to the comments around the detailing bag of bits? Refitting the minute screws back into the tender floor were hard enough, but some of the other bits were just too fiddly for me. Also, having fitted the tender brake rigging, this and the wires attached to the drawbar make it an absolute nightmare to relocate the drawbar into the peg on the tender. As my locos come and go from the layout I can see this really getting on my nerves.

I thought it was just me. Someone must think we Brits are deftly adding the details from the bag of accessories with slender touch-sensitive fingers!  

It might at times seem like that.

As a modeller of German prototypes I once bought a Piko BR95 and found that the supposedly RTR model had more detail parts to add than I have seen in a typical kit.

It did demand rather more skill than a typical Airfix kit to complete.

Bernard

Sorry if this has been answered already.

Do the axles run in a channel of the cast chassis or do they have brass bearings?

Thanks

Mike

Brass bearings, 3mm axles, and AGW are working on the driving wheel.

Edited by pete55

• 1 month later...

Rails of Sheffield is now offering them at £119·50. This is a relatively new model which generated a lot of interest and impatience. It is also pretty decent but it is now being discounted. In a morbid frame of mind, I wonder if the long-predicted decline of the hobby is accelerating. In other words, are we dying off? :scared:

• RMweb Gold

Rails of Sheffield is now offering them at £119·50. This is a relatively new model which generated a lot of interest and impatience. It is also pretty decent but it is now being discounted. In a morbid frame of mind, I wonder if the long-predicted decline of the hobby is accelerating. In other words, are we dying off? :scared:

I think the answer is a good deal less morbid than that ( And I should talk :senile:  )  I think us punters are a bit cannier with our money than of yore and simply will not pay the asking price first time round.

• RMweb Gold

Ive been surprised theres not been as many posts of these on peoples layouts, compared to others like the new Class 71 which has several videos already.

Ive found these to be very nice models, maybe its a harder one to understand as it's less distinctive than a Crab, but whilst they seemed to live down the lesser glamorous south end of the LMS, I've found pictures of them in use around Bolton and on the Bradley Fold-Bury-Heywood line on double headers so they are at home in the north west too.

Heres a short video of my pair on a coal train (complete with a derailment !)

spot the alteration I made to mine :-)

weighs in a 384g
i found mine had a draw bar pull of 60g @0.3amps @12v

Plus a couple of pictures.

post-20773-0-15552900-1495619297_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-42270600-1495619319_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-85785400-1495619331_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-86798100-1495619340_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-91953400-1495619348_thumb.jpg

Edited by adb968008

Or Rails thinking they were on to a winner, and got a bit too greedy, and ordered far more than they could shift ! :sungum:  The two I've got are excellent, but I wont be getting rid of my 3 kit built versions - I must like the class.

• Like 1

I've found pictures of them in use around Bolton and on the Bradley Fold-Bury-Heywood line on double headers so they are at home in the north west too.

Up to about 1963 most (if not all) of the class were shopped at Horwich Works for which Bolton Shed was the main servicing depot, and were seen on running-in turns from there.

I think the answer is a good deal less morbid than that ( And I should talk :senile: ) I think us punters are a bit cannier with our money than of yore and simply will not pay the asking price first time round.

Spot on post, like everything in life, the majority of folk will only pay what they think an item is actually worth. This is clearly evidenced by the glut of black liveried mixed traffic locos on the market. Shops are literally awash with new releases such as the B12, S15 and 5MT Mogul. Items like the M/N are even available on eBay at moderate prices, even though some variants are difficult to source at some dealerships. Yes, you may miss out, but more likely you will grab a bargain some months down the line if you are prepared to take a chance and wait. Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Or Rails thinking they were on to a winner, and got a bit too greedy, and ordered far more than they could shift ! :sungum: The two I've got are excellent, but I wont be getting rid of my 3 kit built versions - I must like the class.

Rails seemed to have developed an interesting business model by way of moving stock...that being to offer weathered versions for an extra £20 as in the case of this particular loco.From what I see from online images a reasonable result ,the only snag being that in the case of the Mogul,the detail pack remains in its plastic bag....and there are lots of accessories to add in this case.

Edit : Rails is a hard headed thriving business..Not greedy just growing successfully and prepared to spend capital to grow whatever one might think of them.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 2