Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

In order to get information regards some of the detailing items I purchased and wish to use correctly, I started a thread 

Knightwing Models http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84732-knightwing-models-1st-b45-electric-point-heater-cabinets-plus-lineside-telephones/&do=findComment&comment=1419461

This thankfully has attracted several informed answers and some great reference photos.

Thus I can now use these

med_gallery_17883_3149_359294.jpg

with more confidence.

The resulting answer has also helped to decide how to use these

med_gallery_17883_3149_94405.jpgrmweb1614knightwing1

Edited by Jaz

In order to get information regards some of the detailing items I purchased and wish to use correctly, I started a thread 

Knightwing Models http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_images/master/icon_users.png

This thankfully has attracted several informed answers and some great reference photos.

Thus I can now use these

med_gallery_17883_3149_359294.jpg

with more confidence.

The resulting answer has also helped to decide how to use these

med_gallery_17883_3149_94405.jpgrmweb1614knightwing1

Brilliant Jaz

I can only think of one thing and it is a song...

What shall we do with the drunken sailor, what shall we do with the drunken sailor..... obviously navy rum!

There is always one!  Sorry     :jester:

courtesy of Lydd Rail

The castings are points heating transformers looking like 5kva size. These were painted different shades of grey before galvanised steel and then stainless steel types came in. There are different makes and therefore shapes for these transformers, larger points could have 2 or more transformers and or large size rated at 10kva. They are placed in the cess near the point in question and the heating strips are wired from the transformer to the rails, usually minimum of 4 strips per point.

The transformers (usually up tp 12) are controlled from a control cabinet which again varies from painted greys to glavanised and now stainless steel. Differents types and sizes too.

Clamp locks on certain points (usually yellow) can have cartridge heaters stopping them from freezing instead of strips.

I know the above from my day job with Network Rail.

Pic below several control cabinets and transformers.

post-1373-0-09177800-1398183177_thumb.jp

Below another transformer with a distribution cabinet behind.

post-1373-0-81435000-1398183207_thumb.jp

Let me know if you need more info.

Colouring of the cabinets (which I am informed are actually Signally and Telephony cabinets)

You can see I am attempting to copy the mottled effect (possibly the result of using an aerosol or airbrush)

med_gallery_17883_3149_540125.jpgrmweb1616knightwing3

• Like 5

Happy Easter! Just back from holiday and catching up on rmweb. Liking those cabinets. I think the mottling effect may be caused by the galvinising process and you have captured it well.

Just noticed this  product from Preiser and some one had mentioned the steps at your seaside. 

https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-18219

I looked at the same product not so long ago, thank you for pointing it out :sungum: , but It was pointed out that a 00 figure would likely look awful on it. (it is a HO product) 

But I have not discounted it completely, used towards the back with HO figures it could add some perspective. I certainly thought it was good value for the price, there is a reasonable amount of product in the pack. Althoguh I think it would need to be handled more carefully near the front of a layout...I had thought it might be ok for when we do Blackpool. 

Apparently great minds think alike  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

courtesy of Glorious NSE

42129_ExeterSD_210407-L.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84732-knightwing-models-1st-b45-electric-point-heater-cabinets-plus-lineside-telephones/&do=findComment&comment=1420203

It was pointed out on the Knghtwing models thread that these are often placed in the 10ft or the cess. The 'fencing' and concrete edging poking out from the ballast would be well worth modelling.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

...And when the myth has been destroyed and it's safe to think again

To think of pride without the fear of being branded without name

I will never feel sorrow, i will never feel hate

For surely my love, not misuse and abuse,

it's not a fashion, you can't change it

don't cross my love , with views of hate and forsake what those thousands died for

They stood together, against the face of oppression,

And in all that is good, there is always some bad

Even the rose has it's thorns.

But to profane a lands name, for the craze in a few

Then it is not truth your after.

Angelic Upstarts

either will do, I like flowers and books  :sungum:

S7T cabinets on the layout

med_gallery_17883_2760_39357.jpgrmweb1635kalborodetail1

the new one is on the left, a plastic one is on the right

unpainted

med_gallery_17883_2760_46727.jpgrmweb1636kalborofetail2

painted

med_gallery_17883_2760_559911.jpgrmweb1638kalborodetail4

• Like 4

And the fronts, with the hinges and lock blacked, and perhaps a bit too much emphasis on the edge of the door panels.

med_gallery_17883_3149_42455.jpgrmweb1617knigthwing4

med_gallery_17883_3149_367333.jpgrmweb1618knightwing5

Hi Jaz

You certainly know how to box clever!    :jester:

Brilliant and now the railings.

Well done     :yes:

PJ

Hi Jaz

Must say you've done a particularly good job on those cabinets. For a bit of variety the Wills kits of the line side cabinets are quite nice too and go together easily. There's two different packs one of which includes a cabinet on stilts like the one in Lydd Rails photo.

Sorry the link to the chapel didn't work. Can't understand it as it works when I click on it. It's not my photo so can't legally add it directly to the post. If you go on google images and type in "Polnish chapel" there's several pictures of it. Been trying to do some research to try and find some dimensions but to no avail unfortunately.

Happy St George's day by the way.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't say you've over emphasised the cabinet edges.  They may look prominent on their own, but once on the layout with so much else going on and when looking on at a distance, you'll need the contrast.  The prototype cabinets in your photos have quite a good degree of contrast around the edges. Brilliant job, there Jaz.

Polly

The foam board sounds like a good medium to work with. I've done large industrial buildings out of plasticard but when it comes to doing multiple window apertures I never seem to be able to get them square and the same size. The foam board looks a lot easier to cut.

Sorry to be thick, but what is foam board usually used for and where would you buy it from.

Thanks in advance

Marcus

P.S

Here's a couple of links for those Wills relay cabinets.

http://www.ehattons.com/40391/Wills_Kits_SS85_Relay_boxes_Set_1_/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.ehattons.com/40393/Wills_Kits_SS88_Relay_boxes_Set_2_/StockDetail.aspx

The foam board sounds like a good medium to work with. I've done large industrial buildings out of plasticard but when it comes to doing multiple window apertures I never seem to be able to get them square and the same size. The foam board looks a lot easier to cut.

Sorry to be thick, but what is foam board usually used for and where would you buy it from.

Thanks in advance

Marcus

P.S

Here's a couple of links for those Wills relay cabinets.

http://www.ehattons.com/40391/Wills_Kits_SS85_Relay_boxes_Set_1_/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.ehattons.com/40393/Wills_Kits_SS88_Relay_boxes_Set_2_/StockDetail.aspx

Hi we do not use foamboard, we use PIR, polyiso.... It is used for insulation under brand names like cellotex or kingspan.

It is chemically very different to foamboard which is either extruded or expanded polystyrene. Polystyrene is flammable, poor with solvents and can give of toxic fumes, so we do not use it often.

For large areas PIR is much better though a bit more expensive. it is also much easier to profile.

Hi we do not use foamboard, we use PIR, polyiso.... It is used for insulation under brand names like cellotex or kingspan.

It is chemically very different to foamboard which is either extruded or expanded polystyrene. Polystyrene is flammable, poor with solvents and can give of toxic fumes, so we do not use it often.

For large areas PIR is much better though a bit more expensive. it is also much easier to profile.

Hi Kal

I think we are at crossed wires. We're talking about the foam board (Foamex) that Freebs uses for his buildings. I'm going to have a go at building Polnish chapel situated near the line to Mallaig. Jaz suggested this approach and Freebs has kindly supplied me with some details of where to get it.

Cheers

Marcus