Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

So...

Got myself a copy of 2014 railway simulator. Not sure how realistic it is and do not understand a lot of it, but it is interesting being let out on the mainline with no training .

Took a 166 in nse for a run from st pancras to Chatham, well that was the plan. Was getting bored at the 80 mph limit, so was using the helecopter view and showing jaz, ..."..............

Who put that blooming 395 there.... Ooops!

Yeah he was 'like'....

Come see this!!!! :senile:

This is cool!!!!! :sungum:

So I get up and walk over.... :drag:

and he's 'like' look look it's base(d) on real stuff.......

oh yeah.....real drivers.....not paying attention to signals...... :butcher: ...... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by Jaz

Pete Harvey apparently has a new e-mail address......

phd_designs@sky.com

this is his shop site

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk

and this links you directly to 4mm mail baskets and litter bins...£9.74 and a potential postage of £4.00

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_28_66&product_id=127

But if you believe this seems costly.....look again....

each hole is a separate item......you get a LOT for your money.

med_gallery_17883_3113_333376.jpgrmweb2782brasetching31

And they may be fiddly, BUT you get some fine detailed products s well.

• Like 3

Kal has problems with his hands so only has feeling in the thumbs and the first two fingers. Which can make modelling a serious pain. But he is slogging through all the bits in this ONE etching.

B.R.U.T.E. trolleys,

great for the platforms often in blue, but great for postal too...in red, and there is sure to be other colours......

med_gallery_17883_3113_364635.jpgrmweb2783brassetchin32

A number of litter bins...all from just one etching

med_gallery_17883_3113_201572.jpgrmweb2784brassetching33

but be warned they are fiddly.....that said....all are intact nothing broken....

med_gallery_17883_3113_88580.jpgrmweb2786brassetching35

The scary bit is sometimes Kal applies more solder than he needs to get a good join, then he heats the solder quickly and slams the model forward fast to literally throw the excess solder off, often smack the table with his hand. I jump every time if I am in the vicinity. But it does make for nice clean lines.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Hi Kal,

I've looked a few times at Railway Sim, but always resisted the urge. What do you think now that you've had a go on it? Worth going for, or just something else to use up time that I could be using to build my 3D sim?

Hi

I bought it on the Steam Website / application,   http://store.steampowered.com  while it was on sale so it only cost me £3.99. For someone like me it gives a good glimse at what an Engine driver sees and also the scenery is authentic so it provides some tips.

I like it, BUT  all the add ons for new trains and scenery could get very expensive if you get bored of the ones provided.

Edited by Kal

The thread sub title...may say 'Brassed off....when she said come and see my etchings'........they are of course Pete Harvey's :sungum:

med_gallery_17883_3113_345832.jpgrmweb2785brassetching34

from this

to this

med_gallery_17883_3113_88580.jpgrmweb2786brassetching35

aligning can be tricky

med_gallery_17883_3113_188351.jpgrmweb2787brassetching37

med_gallery_17883_3113_292285.jpgrmweb2786brassetching36

just needs some paint and popping on Kalboro.....so blue.....

• Like 6

Hi

I bought it on the Steam Website / application,   http://store.steampowered.com  while it was on sale so it only cost me £3.99. For someone like me it gives a good glimse at what an Engine driver sees and also the scenery is authentic so it provides some tips.

I like it, BUT  all the add ons for new trains and scenery could get very expensive if you get bored of the ones provided.

Wow, a real bargain you got there. I think that the normal price for the add-ons is very high for what you get, however I have found that there is usually a massive Steam sale of add-ons around Christmas time. That is when I have purchased most of mine at very reasonable prices. Another issue with add-ons is compatibility. Some trains need certain routes before you can run them. This is not always explicitly stated. 

Wow, a real bargain you got there. I think that the normal price for the add-ons is very high for what you get, however I have found that there is usually a massive Steam sale of add-ons around Christmas time. That is when I have purchased most of mine at very reasonable prices. Another issue with add-ons is compatibility. Some trains need certain routes before you can run them. This is not always explicitly stated. 

that can cause an ouch.!!!!! We have bought a whole host of games on steam recently....I have to admit seem (ok a lot) of my down time is because he bought Colonization.....and an old Baulders gate favourite. I have not even tested the other games!!!!!!

The good news is my finger is fully recovered, so I can finish the pesky Pylon kit.

And the house clean will slow down enormously once my mother in law arrives.....and I may then be hiding  out in the model room permanently.... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I'll make sure I have my camera with me ...... :angel:

Re the Brutes, you could use them if you have a town scene, they're often used to for bulk deliveries to shops, normally painted silver in that instance.

I can't find an example, are they still referred to as BRUTEs in that instance?

Is strangling your son legal? Actually he's way bigger than me, taller, muscled etc.....shoot him????? :triniti:

anyway is it legal........IF he comes up to where you are modelling....

having cut out and laid bits in the order they came of the sprue

and touches one and breaks it in half!!!!!! :butcher:

and worse when you try to glue it together the small bits zings off into the unknown.....Have searched an 8foot radius....searched the modelling area....the bit had glue both ends

...have searched the floor, any surace I can think of INCLUDING my clothes and my hair (once fell off a horse and lost my glasses (don't ride with contacts) and spent five minutes looking for said glasses until I thought what is that swinging on y hair net?....glasses DOH!) BUT all to no avail....bit is missing...gone east....in another realm.....Aaaaarghh!!!

.......And son is like how much ....heres the money for a replacement......HOW does that help me NOW????????????  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:

Oh dear   :(

Ref cages used for shop delivery - when I worked at Woolies in the 90s we used to call them Roll Cages

Lee

http://www.ajproducts.co.uk/trolleys-trucks/cage-trolleys-pallet-containers/3-sided-roll-cage-l825xw720xh1715mm/3980747-32546.wf

Roll cages are almost always rectangular in plan, whereas BRUTEs have the ends in what could be described as a 'part of a threepenny bit' shape. I think roll-cages are also a bit smaller in length and width. BRUTEs were mainly blue (Rail Express Parcels and PO use) or red (PO use); I think there may have been some yellow ones, used either for urgent spares or, with a plastic drum or tank inside, for topping up HST coolant.

• RMweb Gold

Baulders Gate, "The inventory is full"     Arrrrgggghhhhhh!  (or was it, "I am not your beast of burden"?)

Why are adventurers who go down dungeons Scottish?  Don't answer that one.  :nono:

My youngest used to play it incessantly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear   :(

Ref cages used for shop delivery - when I worked at Woolies in the 90s we used to call them Roll Cages

Lee

http://www.ajproducts.co.uk/trolleys-trucks/cage-trolleys-pallet-containers/3-sided-roll-cage-l825xw720xh1715mm/3980747-32546.wf

To me, a roll-cage means this...

post-17302-0-35980800-1408546031.jpg

When I used to stack shelves at Fine-Fare I'm sure we had a specific name - like Brute but not - but I can't for the life of me think what it was, now.

(In my defence it was thirty-mumble years ago and I've had to learn lots more esoteric terminology in the meantime...)

Al.

modelling

med_gallery_17883_3113_197935.jpgrmweb2780brassetching29

not modelling

med_gallery_17883_3113_50877.jpgrmweb2781brasetching30

Since the superglue incident I am now using this

med_gallery_17883_3113_37121.jpgrmweb2787brassetching36

although there is not much in it...so a new source will be needed.....NOT superglue... :no: ......................... :O .................... :butcher:

• Like 1

prior to son :triniti:  causing melt down......bit still missing :O .....will have to bodge a piece (apologies to Bodge)  :butcher:

I had been reading the instructions carefully

med_gallery_17883_3113_312422.jpg

paying careful attention to the all pieces in correct direction

med_gallery_17883_3113_62766.jpg

when I did the crane last year I put one in the wrong way....and had a melt down...which is when Kal initially pointed out to me the usefulness of nail varnish remover (needs acetone to work) :O

med_gallery_17883_3113_357509.jpgcorrect

med_gallery_17883_3113_542270.jpgincorrect

• Like 4

Also align these pieces should be easy, but the little devils are dead slippery, and you need to check and recheck they stay aligned....

med_gallery_17883_3113_233053.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3113_331885.jpg

Get the bottom of the pylon into those black feet, was a serious pain, three went well the fourth one had the combination of all the errors of the other three to take on in order to get the fit on. I went for all four feet pushed on (yes yes they do spring off) and placed flat on table before gluing. So I knew the devil was stable. And the next bits had more chance of alignment.

• Like 4

MDV 

21.5t

B310501

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmdv/h348aad75#h348aad75

MDV

21.5t

B311568K

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmdv/h348aad75#h25b63f2e

So far I know that over the weekend

Kal and  Jaz (me) are going

Jcredfer  is going

JCL is coming over fro the Canadian Rockies and going

Westerhamstation has been asking whose going so I am supposing he is gearing up for it.

dt has not yet said he us going but he knows he has an open house to stay ay ours on offer and grab a lift

Freebs is on the cusp of committing.

Runs as Required is going, he is an old friend originally from our old forum. I once won a competition he ran And he helped me with my scratch build Ye Olde White Horse.....which admittedly is stalled although I now have better materials to revamp and finish it......another one for the list. He can apparently negotiate which day he goes.

I think we need to check our days, set a time, and an extra window for unforeseen events, to meet at a certain part of the show, JCL is offering to wearing a distinctive T shirt, I will carry my pink iPad. It will be great fun to meet those RMwebber we have met before and those we are yet to meet.

Feel free to throw your hat in the circle if you are going and want to meet. :sungum:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1