Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

The decorating looks fab Jaz as do the wagons. Sounds like you have more luck with drain rods than us. We have a drain with 30 feet of rods that I lost in it. The PH Designs  stuff also looks really good but also looks exceptionally difficult. Keep up the good work. 

Full brakes are shorter than normal Mk1's (unless you've got the Lima or early Hornby Mk1 full brakes that are incorrect in being as long as a normal Mk1) IIRC, the prototype lengths are 57' and 61'6"

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick, So.... Half brake second opens would be ok? And would nse or regional railways have b4 s, i have some of those.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick, So.... Half brake second opens would be ok? And would nse or regional railways have b4 s, i have some of those.

A BSO should be fine. A B4 bogie is easy to recognise. It has a chammel section running along the top with coil springs either side of the axlebox.

A quick bogie guide

The less common B5 and B5(S) are visually similar, but nobody produces a RTR version. The RTR versions (so far) all represent the earlier friction damper version, but pretty certain that all those in main line service have all been modified to hydraulic dampers. The pic in the link above has friction dampers - it's the round bit to the right of the red spring. Hydraulic dampers look like normal tubular shock absorbers. Second pic down on this link

Confession time - all my model B4's haven't been modified and still represent the early FD type

Cheers,

Mick

FYI

We have tickets for RMlive at Coventry....I think our pre booked tickets can be used EITHER Saturday on Sunday. We are only going one day, no specific day yet.

Anyone else gong on a specific day? Would be nice to me and say high to RMfriends....

edit= and give some fair notice how to avoid us..... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Is, ?......... This the Busman's  Holiday, referred to in the  sub title....?

MDV 

21.5t

B310501

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmdv/h348aad75#h348aad75

MDV

21.5t

B311568K

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmdv/h348aad75#h25b63f2e

FYI

We have tickets for RMlive at Coventry....I think our pre booked tickets can be used EITHER Saturday on Sunday. We are only going one day, no specific day yet.

Anyone else gong on a specific day? Would be nice to me and say high to RMfriends....

edit= and give some fair notice how to avoid us..... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

So far I know that over the weekend

Kal and  Jaz (me) are going

Jcredfer  is going

JCL is coming over fro the Canadian Rockies and going

Westerhamstation has been asking whose going so I am supposing he is gearing up for it.

dt has not yet said he us going but he knows he has an open house to stay ay ours on offer and grab a lift

I think we need to check our days, set a time, and an extra window for unforeseen events, to meet at a certain part of the show, JCL is offering to wearing a distinctive T shirt, I will carry my pink iPad. It will be great fun to meet those RMwebber we have met before and those we are yet to meet.

Feel free to throw your hat in the circle if you are going and want to meet. :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Feel free to throw your hat in the circle if you are going and want to meet. :sungum:

I'll be going, though haven't yet worked out which day I can make... but it will be either Saturday or Sunday ;)

Would love to meet up with anyone else!

No problem  ...

I havn't got a hat...........

Just bring the balloon and everyone will know it is you  ....   by the sticky-up hair style, as you hold the balloon over your head   .......    :jester:

Oh   ........   what if  ................   well, you might not have much     ................   :scratchhead:   .............    oh right   ............     still, you could always stick some scenic long grass and make that stand on end   .........     :O

Mmmm  .......   might have people  ...   well  ...   staring   .........   not such a good idea    .........

Probably easier to make a hat  ....    maybe one of those Pirate ones, out of a newspaper page   .....    that would be good, as no other visitor will have thought of that  ...   so it is bound to be you   ......     :sungum:  :sungum:

No problem  ...

Just bring the balloon and everyone will know it is you  ....   by the sticky-up hair style, as you hold the balloon over your head   .......    :jester:

Oh   ........   what if  ................   well, you might not have much     ................   :scratchhead:   .............    oh right   ............     still, you could always stick some scenic long grass and make that stand on end   .........     :O

Mmmm  .......   might have people  ...   well  ...   staring   .........   not such a good idea    .........

Probably easier to make a hat  ....    maybe one of those Pirate ones, out of a newspaper page   .....    that would be good, as no other visitor will have thought of that  ...   so it is bound to be you   ......     :sungum:  :sungum:

I did consider my sun hat, which is actually a pink straw cowboy hat...one of those silly stag night affairs..but I know full well if I dared wear such a thing in public Kal would not be seen dead in the vicinity.....possibly not even in the same county..... :angel: .....I do have a great witches outfit.......and the neck to wear it......pointed hat as well......but Kal would probably take me down the psychiatrists and get me sectioned........ :O ........ :nono:

• Like 1

OK ...just learned a valuable lesson.......

when making plastic models....best not use superglue.....

best pay attention and not start chatting....

otherwise your fingers can end up glued to the model......

causing severe stress.....requiring lots of nail varnish rover.......

and the pad of my left forefinger still has a nasty line on it.....

having managed to get it off.....

whilst my son sniggered.....he does not know what nail varnish...doesnot understand the concept of clear nail varnish....but does now understand that nail varnish remover is a good thing to have in th cupboard. DOH!!!!!!

I've gone through that panicky stage of realising your fingers are stuck. I used a craft knife to slice them apart, bit messy but did the trick, Had no idea that nail varnish remover could be used. Off to check we have some in stock...

Thanks for the tip Jaz, hope your pad makes a full recovery! 

• Like 1

I've gone through that panicky stage of realising your fingers are stuck. I used a craft knife to slice them apart, bit messy but did the trick, Had no idea that nail varnish remover could be used. Off to check we have some in stock...

Have managed to pick it all off......am no longer using super glue!!!!!!

Used to use lots of the stuff for model aeroplanes    .................    there is a remover from Zap a Gap, which works well   ......    it softens the glue and eventually it can be wiped off   .....     :drag:

However, I also found that one of it's properties made it easier to enable removal  .....    it relies, for strength, on soaking into the material it is glueing   .....     on the fingers it is a fairly weak substance and somewhat brittle   .....      a small piece of fine Sandpaper, an Emery Board, or that abrasive mesh [used by Plumbers] will simply rub it off - easier than messing with liquids and tissues   .....     a little care might even keep most of your finger-prints     .............  

.........................      unless of course you wish to combine removal with your other night job!!.    ...............        :nono:

Where is the "Sharp intake of Breath" Icon when you need it  .....   ......................

realising your fingers are stuck. I used a craft knife to slice them apart,

..............     followed by the "Cold Shudder up the Back" one too  .......

MDV 

21.5t

B310501

MDV

21.5t

B311568K

Jcredfer  is going

Westerhamstation has been asking whose going so I am supposing he is gearing up for it.

dt has not yet said he us going but he knows he has an open house to stay ay ours on offer and grab a lift

I think we need to check our days, set a time, and an extra window for unforeseen events, to meet at a certain part of the show, JCL is offering to wearing a distinctive T shirt, I will carry my pink iPad. It will be great fun to meet those RMwebber we have met before and those we are yet to meet.

Ooh - there's a lot of people going that I'd like to see.

Knowing my luck, I'd go on the Sunday to find everyone had been on the Saturday

My hat is in the air, but I don't know if it's going to land in the circle...

• Like 2

MDV 

21.5t

B310501

MDV

21.5t

B311568K

Jcredfer  is going

Sorry, will not be attending,either day..................................

a piece of cotton wool or tissue and a LOT of mail varnish remover soaking the area, and the patience to let it get to the glue and your fingers......pulling NOT a good idea........Ouuuuuuch!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

If you are going with the Acetate/Nail varnish method - I suppose it should go without saying   ..............    having a ciggy to ease the shock whilst cleaning, is simply not a good idea until the job is done and the area ventilated    .......     [A warning to those who wish to avoid the Clumsy Club !!  ....   and a load of time arguing with the Insurance company about your intentions  ......     :O  ]

So...

Got myself a copy of 2014 railway simulator. Not sure how realistic it is and do not understand a lot of it, but it is interesting being let out on the mainline with no training .

Took a 166 in nse for a run from st pancras to Chatham, well that was the plan. Was getting bored at the 80 mph limit, so was using the helecopter view and showing jaz, ..."..............

Who put that blooming 395 there.... Ooops!

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kal,

I've looked a few times at Railway Sim, but always resisted the urge. What do you think now that you've had a go on it? Worth going for, or just something else to use up time that I could be using to build my 3D sim?

• Like 2

Hi Kal. I also have Train Simulator 2014 and have also purchased several expansion packs for it. I think it is a very good game but it did take a while to master the controls and the braking distances. 

a piece of cotton wool or tissue and a LOT of mail varnish remover soaking the area, and the patience to let it get to the glue and your fingers......pulling NOT a good idea........Ouuuuuuch!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jaz,

Using the superglue remover is a good idea. Make sure that the nail varnish remover is acetone free as acetone is a bit of a 'naughty' chemical that likes to hang around in your system and do unpleasant things for your liver. I understand that the first port of call in A&E is for some hot water and a bit of a soak to try and loosen things up. It works quite well. The important thing to do is not panic and pull your fingers away as it can take layers of skin with it.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Jaz,

Using the superglue remover is a good idea. Make sure that the nail varnish remover is acetone free as acetone is a bit of a 'naughty' chemical that likes to hang around in your system and do unpleasant things for your liver. I understand that the first port of call in A&E is for some hot water and a bit of a soak to try and loosen things up. It works quite well. The important thing to do is not panic and pull your fingers away as it can take layers of skin with it.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

EEEEK.......shall need acetone free nail vanish asap......to remove my nail and toe varnish varnish!!!!! My liver is probably shot!!!!!!

And I thought I was being good to my poor liver...not being a regular drinker :O