Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Have replaced the missing lintel piece.....bottom right if you missed it.

And had a horrible thought  :O .......should have painted the lintels and sills BEFORE glueing them into position.....sighs.......small micro brush.........

Lovely pics of Peterborough along with your usual thoughtful commentary.

The only criticism of your exhibition pictures Jaz is that you always seem able to focus on the beautiful detail bits I miss when I'm actually there. So I may as well just stay sitting tight at home and wait for you to post

:jester: .

dhig

• Like 1

Have replaced the missing lintel piece.....bottom right if you missed it.

And had a horrible thought  :O .......should have painted the lintels and sills BEFORE glueing them into position.....sighs.......small micro brush.........

It may increase,............your skill level, .... by making another whole frontage of the Police House.... :O ................ok.... :no: ............... :drag:

Let's see,what the micro brush has done...............then..............

Lovely pics of Peterborough along with your usual thoughtful commentary.

The only criticism of your exhibition pictures Jaz is that you always seem able to focus on the beautiful detail bits I miss when I'm actually there. So I may as well just stay sitting tight at home and wait for you to post

:jester: .

dhig

I only photograph it if I think it is good reference...that I wish I could emulate in some aspect or whole. Barring the name boards in order to know what belongs to who. My gallery is so full, that adding other peoples work has to be on a worthwhile basis. Luckily there is a lot of worthwhile work.

I have more pictures of the show, but am busy playing with the police house, and starting a new section upstairs in AV (details will follow once the initial layout of buildings finally gels) and I have to go to the hospital and the doctor with my dad today.....busy busy busy.....Oh and we are still insulating the old loft ready to get into there as well......All the waste material from sizing the PIR we could have set it aside and had a winter  wonderland lol. Several bags of 'dust' have been binned. Its a bit fine ...and breathing it in is horrible....masks often have to be used...and glasses to a void eye wash. We do a little often...because it is horrible. But doing it ourselves saves a lot of money. ....squeak squeak.... :jester:

• Like 2

I only photograph it if I think it is good reference...that I wish I could emulate in some aspect or whole. Barring the name boards in order to know what belongs to who. My gallery is so full, that adding other peoples work has to be on a worthwhile basis. Luckily there is a lot of worthwhile work.

I have more pictures of the show, but am busy playing with the police house, and starting a new section upstairs in AV (details will follow once the initial layout of buildings finally gels) and I have to go to the hospital and the doctor with my dad today.....busy busy busy.....Oh and we are still insulating the old loft ready to get into there as well......All the waste material from sizing the PIR we could have set it aside and had a winter  wonderland lol. Several bags of 'dust' have been binned. Its a bit fine ...and breathing it in is horrible....masks often have to be used...and glasses to a void eye wash. We do a little often...because it is horrible. But doing it ourselves saves a lot of money. ....squeak squeak.... :jester:

:O ......................................A Re-re-construction ?

this is where we were

med_gallery_17883_3113_327016.jpg

then I started to colour the stone lintels and sills

med_gallery_17883_3113_57205.jpgrmweb3218policehouse50

the brown appears dark, because unlike the walls it has to been weathered yet.

med_gallery_17883_3113_103238.jpg

you might notice the join has had some work on it too

med_gallery_17883_3113_619659.jpg

once the stone colour was bought down to match, i then reweather with citadel aggrax earth shade and nuln oil

and attacked the brick work where the drainpipe will stand and the sills.and an odd brick or two

around the door got the most especially the toplight.

med_gallery_17883_3113_342222.jpg

• Like 7

Royal%20040.jpgfreewebs.com

The reference picture,

notice the stone to the extension is larger than the stone to the man in house.

The black marks on the sills and where the drain pipe goes.

The door is faded.

The white security alarm

The saggy roof....

• Like 3

Royal%20040.jpgfreewebs.com

The reference picture,

notice the stone to the extension is larger than the stone to the man in house.

The black marks on the sills and where the drain pipe goes.

The door is faded.

The white security alarm

The saggy roof....

I've got a saggy BOTTOM does that count?

Brilliant work on the Police House by the way, nice colouring, you have a very good eye for detail.

talking of colour, the doors are too blue and not faded....

so using the same blue and a paler blue i mixed them as i 'faded' the door

and with some white plastic cut into a rectangle and a sure and a file for the angles i made the alarm box

med_gallery_17883_3113_534460.jpgrmweb3222policehouse54

and faded the extension door

med_gallery_17883_3113_789168.jpgrmwebpolicehouse55

only one window on the extension has the smaller panes of glass. The stone work of the two parts is fairly close to the originals.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

You're doing well on the police house.  Interesting to see it develop.

If you brush a dark blue weathering powder into the creases of the door and edges of the door frame, I wonder if you would get the look as in the freewebs photo.  It might be easier than trying to paint what look like shadows or is the door decorated with beading?

To emphasize this outline (which would make your door a little different from most modellers' doors of the type), would white weathering powder or a dilute wash of white paint or ink give the door a mottled pale lived-in look as faded by the sun.  I usually do a test run, first.

Just an idea. I've got several rows of roofs to do and experiments will commence shortly, so any tips would be welcome on Camel Quay once I get started.

Keep up the good work, Jaz.

Polly

• Like 4

If you brush a dark blue weathering powder into the creases of the door and edges of the door frame, I wonder if you would get the look as in the freewebs photo.  It might be easier than trying to paint what look like shadows or is the door decorated with beading?

To emphasize this outline (which would make your door a little different from most modellers' doors of the type), would white weathering powder or a dilute wash of white paint or ink give the door a mottled pale lived-in look as faded by the sun.  I usually do a test run, first.

Just an idea. I've got several rows of roofs to do and experiments will commence shortly, so any tips would be welcome on Camel Quay once I get started.

Polly

The beading effect yu refer to appear to be cable ties onto some cabling, and also white might be a thin wire trellis, perhaps it had something growing over, or is to train the two near by roses.At the top of the page, you can see I did use white weathering powder, I also bought the ready made white weathering wash...but found it rather strong, I can pick out the powder much easier. I used two blue paints. At the top of the page is the single blue...which is much stronger.  I like the idea of the blue, and have a blue liquid wash which might well look good...I'll go check the colours. Thank you for the ideas,, glad we are on the same lines  :sungum:

As for a test run.I tend to go for it, and if not happy repaint it the original colour, and if matching the original colour does not go well....weather it all...a lot :jester:

edit= And thank you for the input, I love it when people put up ideas. All ideas are worth investigating, in this case, we were already partly on the same page, so that is nice to know. Gives me more confidence i am on the right track.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Then I hit anther snag...

I had purchased some Ratio drainpipes and gutters....

med_gallery_17883_3113_424138.jpgrmweb3224policehouse56

thinking i would save myself the trouble of scratchbuilding

BUT 

The drainpipes art long enough!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3113_512958.jpgrmweb3225policehouse57

I did consider putting a bush at the bottom....there are several in the vicinity.....thus hiding where the bottom of the drainpipe goes.....

we'll see.........

There is enough guttering, hopefully, as the extension appears to have a single sloped roof

med_gallery_17883_3113_674404.jpgrmweb3226policehouse58

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The beading effect yu refer to appear to be cable ties onto some cabling, and also white might be a thin wire trellis, perhaps it had something growing over, or is to train the two near by roses.At the top of the page, you can see I did use white weathering powder, I also bought the ready made white weathering wash...but found it rather strong, I can pick out the powder much easier. I used two blue paints. At the top of the page is the single blue...which is much stronger.  I like the idea of the blue, and have a blue liquid wash which might well look good...I'll go check the colours. Thank you for the ideas,, glad we are on the same lines  :sungum:

As for a test run.I tend to go for it, and if not happy repaint it the original colour, and if matching the original colour does not go well....weather it all...a lot :jester:

edit= And thank you for the input, I love it when people put up ideas. All ideas are worth investigating, in this case, we were already partly on the same page, so that is nice to know. Gives me more confidence i am on the right track.

Hello, again.

I hadn't noticed the trellis around the door - thanks for pointing it out, it might come in useful, one day - but I was wondering if there was beading around the the door panels.  If you zoom in on the photo, you'll see what I mean.  Anyway, the darker blue surrounds do make the door rather special.  At least, I think so.  And between these posts, I've been painting faces - several times and still not got what I want! Try again, later.

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Drainpipes.  They get fixed to the wall by brackets.  Put two pipe ends together behind one of these and no-one will be any the wiser! Just cut both sections of pipe to an  appropriate length.  The pipe outside our front door has brackets top and bottom, and two others spaced evenly(ish?) between them. I don't know these things - I've just looked.  Haha.

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Drainpipes.  They get fixed to the wall by brackets.  Put two pipe ends together behind one of these and no-one will be any the wiser! Just cut both sections of pipe to an  appropriate length.  The pipe outside our front door has brackets top and bottom, and two others spaced evenly(ish?) between them. I don't know these things - I've just looked.  Haha.

Polly

Yep, agree with Polly, also drainpipes do come in sections anyway, so you could use a piece of microstrip (say 10thou x 20thou) wrapped round the joint.

• Like 1

This was taken before Southern42 / Pollys advice.......I have now followed her advice and very pleased those photos will come later.....

Then the last issue with the frontage. I had the roof from the craftsman pack, there won't be enough, but i bought spare

.......but looking at the original which sags somewhat....I think I am going to have to do the cut plasticard strips. So that'll be a new experience for me.

Which means building the roof in plasticard then popping the tiles on.....I will be a while as I am going to flit around looking at other peoples threads for how to best go about it, with my skills and tools....

so acg_mr, Freebs, Westerhamstation, Anything you can do I can do better Downes, and the scratch built thread and possibly its contributors.....

med_gallery_17883_3113_449525.jpgrmweb3227policehouse59

• Like 7

Polly

I had another thought about the door...I wonder if it is to get Xmas lights up and over?

• Like 2

Polly

Polly I liked this idea so much, I decided to play with straight away. Rather than powders I like weather liquids, however they have a habit of sitting on the model and pouting, i.e. not going anywhere.....

there is a relative easy way to solve this.

get a clean paint brush dip in WATER, wet the area, use a cotton bud to remove the excess, the dip the liquid into the remain water and centrifugal force carries along.

And if you make a mistake, the cotton bud can quickly wipe it up, allow the area to dry, and start again......

med_gallery_17883_3113_392337.jpgrmweb3228policehouse60

slighty harder here, but still going ok,

and once dry you can repeat if you want it darker,

if you attempt to put too much in on one go, tho it can go sideways(wrong)....literally...stop running along a line and just spread willy nilly across the surface.....

med_gallery_17883_3113_604111.jpgrmweb3229policehouse61

med_gallery_17883_3113_592259.jpgrmweb3230policehouse62

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've made the mistake of buying the Wills downpipe and guttering accessories myself in the past and much as you have, found them pretty useless unless you are modelling a bungalow. The downpipe brackets are quite useful I suppose, but the downpipes themselves are a bit on the short side, the gutters look like they would be a pain to affix to anything (especially if you want them to stay affixed) and I couldn't think of a use for the bargeboards.

Best way to go is to use plastic rod for downpipes and half-round for guttering (I quarter it; gives a better edge to glue to the building)

• Like 2

I've made the mistake of buying the Wills downpipe and guttering accessories myself in the past and much as you have, found them pretty useless unless you are modelling a bungalow. The downpipe brackets are quite useful I suppose, but the downpipes themselves are a bit on the short side, the gutters look like they would be a pain to affix to anything (especially if you want them to stay affixed) and I couldn't think of a use for the bargeboards.

Best way to go is to use plastic rod for downpipes and half-round for guttering (I quarter it; gives a better edge to glue to the building)

Bargeboards!!!!! I was wondering what on earth they were........THe packet said guttering and downpipes,,,,,nothing said bargeboards.....and being new to this detail lark....I was stumped LOL.

Thank you for the hints......how on earth do you quarter the half round with it being so small?

Hi Jaz

Have a look outside your bungalow. the barge board, think your house has them, is the board the gutter brackets are attached to. Not all houses have them though. Mine hasn't it just has corbelled brick work with gutter brackets that are built into the brick work itself.

Marcus.

I did consider using the round and heating it like act_mr did to get the swan neck shape out to the guttering, but then i would need more than one and need the same shape.....I know any two are not close.....But I would need three in total, A small one will do the annex, and I am leaning towards act_mr's idea of cutting and hiding the join....only time will tell if i can get it to look ok.....

Am eyeing up the roof......and know I have to address the chimneys soon, I bought some puts in the past, so hopefully can find and use them....

As for the missing small pack of Evergreen....the pack in question has a good hiding spot!!!!!

I have to make more of the walls, as I only cut the front, so I need a short side for the annexe, a full side for the other side, and make the back too. At least I know how I plan to do it , but it won't be quick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bargeboards!!!!! I was wondering what on earth they were........THe packet said guttering and downpipes,,,,,nothing said bargeboards.....and being new to this detail lark....I was stumped LOL.

Thank you for the hints......how on earth do you quarter the half round with it being so small?

Get a larger size of half round :D

Seriously though, with care. Care, a sharp scalpel and two rulers. Butt the half-round up against one ruler and hold the other one tightly on top, before lightly scoring along the length, over and over again. You can pack it out with bits of microstrip if it sits too close to the wall (e.g. the slates overhang it).

As for individual plastikard slates, it's a recipe for warping in my opinion, and more hassle than it is worth. Use 150gsm card, which will stick to Plastikard with Mek (or Roket card glue - I've tried it and it works). 150gsm card also has the advantage that you can print off a grid / strips, and they have very little relief to them which is a good thing unless you want to depict a roof that has been tiled with stone (e.g. not slate)

• RMweb Premium

Those doors have come up better than I'd expected.  Great stuff.

I've done a few doors in my time and they could all do with improving....

The drainpipe saga gets better and better, too.

Time for dinner, now - just a reheat job, tonight.  :yes:

Polly

• Like 1