Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I also wander sometimes if the instructions to copy buildings from Louth, got lost in translation as several buildings in County Louth....have very Skaledale flavouring

Roche Castle for instance

castleroche24.JPGstonecircle.braveheart.com

or if some building are so generic it's easy to 'recognise' them.

Regardless. IF you google maps Louth, Eastgate and 'wander' around the map you'll find plenty of Skaledale references.

Edited by Jaz

And do you know what is scary. Skaledale has been going basically since 2003/2014 so ten years. And a number of these buildings are already sold and changed. So this little bit of time will be gone. And might even be hard to research some of this items soon. As with changed names etc very hard to track down.

Part way through catching up with this thread,

I feel like I've just moved to a new area and walked into a local pub that happens to have a model railway in one half of it!

LOL that's us......as mad a bag of squirrels.......

Welcome. Hope you like it.....I suppose you have read part way.....so its either good, addictive like that blue cheese you can't work out if you really like it or not.....or just  horrified speechless ness..... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:...edit= and you only turn to the next page thinking.....OMG it can't get any worse!!!!!!!!! :O  :O  :O

Edited by Jaz

on first look this one was one of the smaller layouts, but the bridge is well worth a close up

med_gallery_17883_3195_293506.jpgrmweb2883show88

or two!!!

med_gallery_17883_3195_190436.jpgrmweb2884show89

just look at the detail here

med_gallery_17883_3195_374258.jpgrmweb2885show90

The gentleman here was really nice, I explained my camera can't cope with moving train so he kindly stopped it for me to get the snaps.

I just love the colouring of the water.

I copied these to Will J blog but can't work out how to link to them.;(

so I linked to his profile

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/user/1601-will-j/

Haha, I was stood next to you when you took the photo!

Haha, I was stood next to you when you took the photo!

what a shame i never knew, would have loved to say hello, and we had a big meet of people we know when we were there that do too.

Edited by Jaz

Well people as you can see there is a bundle of Louth references....I know there is more I am just having trouble locating the devils. I will put them up as I find them. As the whole idea is to try and get the really squished in feeling that Louth revels in.......

I have tried 'grabbing' a satellite picture....reduced it....but can't get it to upload.......

all i can say is louth is really small roads, small lanes, little back passages, and dead ends......

when i can sort the picture i'll add it.

• Like 1

I prefer the phrase, as mad as a box of frogs :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  

perhaps but putting frogs in a box....does not result in a scrap....could you imagine putting some squirrels in a bag together???? carnage.!!!!!!! And you would have to be pretty brave to open it up again LOL.

whereas some frogs eat each other....you could open the box and find just one.....and you'd be left thinking.....how did they escape.....and the look of the frogs face would be smug.....unless left thee a long time then it would be rather desiccated.......hehe

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

perhaps but putting frogs in a box....does not result in a scrap....could you imagine putting some squirrels in a bag together???? carnage.!!!!!!! And you would have to be pretty brave to open it up again LOL.

whereas some frogs eat each other....you could open the box and find just one.....and you'd be left thinking.....how did they escape.....and the look of the frogs face would be smug.....unless left thee a long time then it would be rather desiccated.......hehe

...................     you might be able to sell Desiccated Frog to the French Foreign Legion :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: , as Snacks or Lightweight re- constituteable  meals   .........     :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 1

Louth satellite image

attachicon.gifLouth.jpg

i tried jpg and reducing

some great photo research going here Jaz but wondering were the third extension is being built to incorporate the new mini Louth      :paint:     :D

LOL I'm hoping to fit most of it in a 4x4 or two, only representing East Gate and elements of that small area.

• Like 2

i tried jpg and reducing

LOL I'm hoping to fit most of it in a 4x4 or two, only representing East Gate and elements of that small area.

land or range rover - gonna need kal to build one hell of a helix up to loft level  :O

im sure he can do that in a week/ end  :mail:

• Like 1

Gosh this thread spins away so fast! Another 100,000 posts may be up and running by the time I've put typing around my thoughts!

I read this interesting bit about Louth and towns last night (Halloween) and remembered about the ghosts of the earlier place that still whisper to you as you pass by the drive-in Burger King.

I think you have to invent a back story about the place you are modelling. Drawing a sequence of 'old maps' from earliest origins down to present  'Pay Day Lenders' is a really enjoyable hour spent.

I've only been to Louth once as the week-end guest of a mad husband and wife pair of RAF officers on a station closeby  - the Flight Lieutenant kept buzzing us in his Gnat? trainer as we drove in and out of town on a busy Saturday.

I remember it as a market town - roads converging on a core market place, later replaced by a covered mart. Other places are perhaps a castle, a ford/bridging point (or both) and where earlier buildings and activities have been and gone.

I think a lot of modelling ignores this backstory and the buildings appear haphazard.

dhig

Gosh this thread spins away so fast! Another 100,000 posts may be up and running by the time I've put typing around my thoughts!

I read this interesting bit about Louth and towns last night (Halloween) and remembered about the ghosts of the earlier place that still whisper to you as you pass by the drive-in Burger King.

I think you have to invent a back story about the place you are modelling. Drawing a sequence of 'old maps' from earliest origins down to present  'Pay Day Lenders' is a really enjoyable hour spent.

I've only been to Louth once as the week-end guest of a mad husband and wife pair of RAF officers on a station closeby  - the Flight Lieutenant kept buzzing us in his Gnat? trainer as we drove in and out of town on a busy Saturday.

I remember it as a market town - roads converging on a core market place, later replaced by a covered mart. Other places are perhaps a castle, a ford/bridging point (or both) and where earlier buildings and activities have been and gone.

I think a lot of modelling ignores this backstory and the buildings appear haphazard.

dhig

Hey dh,                     I had not realized,you had met Julian before,     you never mentioned it.      :drag:

I think that's why I love the filming aspect because you can add, 'life' to the story. I have several characters who are awaiting a spot on the layout.

Cars we have inc

the young ones

the professionals

a yellow AA version of Only Fools and Horses......I plan the batman and robin scene down the high street....AND have a batman car...not quite the correct scale...but who cares...not me.....judicious photography.....will be applied

its seeing characters that look ok....

Although the latex can fatten up a Batman....and Sasquatch cuts his models up to make them fit.....cuts heads or legs.....so perhaps i should do the same.

In fact I could add a Halloween party in the cobbled pub area.......Rats.....I could have done that one easy.....And perhaps a father  Xmas on a chimney later.........I'll have a look at the airfix people they tend to be very action orientated despite being soldiers I am sure I can sort that. I added a cape to the Hogwarts quartet.....so can't se any issues.

I can [p[ them onto Heartbeat for the moment.

BUT the idea is to suit them to either present day or a time period. Each area is to have TWO eras

Goathland / Heartbeat present day, 1960s

Sheffield Park 1970s

The area I am doing now was designated 1980s and I am using older buildings, the fireengine house can be replaced, although the burger place will be very date oriented....but I can just avoid taking pictures there.

The 1990s is probably at the other end, and may incorporate the bigger better airport area (planes have been collected as have helicopters) 

Kalboro main station is the naughty 2000 noughties.

Everything slowly catches up with my wacky brain....LOL.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

I think that's why I love the filming aspect because you can add, 'life' to the story. I have several characters who are awaiting a spot on the layout.

Cars we have inc

the young ones

the professionals

a yellow AA version of Only Fools and Horses......I plan the batman and robin scene down the high street....AND have a batman car...not quite the correct scale...but who cares...not me.....judicious photography.....will be applied

its seeing characters that look ok....

Although the latex can fatten up a Batman....and Sasquatch cuts his models up to make them fit.....cuts heads or legs.....so perhaps i should do the same.

In fact I could add a Halloween party in the cobbled pub area.......Rats.....I could have done that one easy.....And perhaps a father  Xmas on a chimney later.........I'll have a look at the airfix people they tend to be very action orientated despite being soldiers I am sure I can sort that. I added a cape to the Hogwarts quartet.....so can't se any issues.

I can [p[ them onto Heartbeat for the moment.

BUT the idea is to suit them to either present day or a time period. Each area is to have TWO eras

Goathland / Heartbeat present day, 1960s

Sheffield Park 1970s

The area I am doing now was designated 1980s and I am using older buildings, the fireengine house can be replaced, although the burger place will be very date oriented....but I can just avoid taking pictures there.

The 1990s is probably at the other end, and may incorporate the bigger better airport area (planes have been collected as have helicopters) 

Kalboro main station is the naughty 2000 noughties.

Everything slowly catches up with my wacky brain....LOL.

if you did want an 80`s burger place then it would have been Wimpy before mc`d   came to over run us lol. some were just Wimpy but others were Wimpy Bar but all looked the same to me ha

• Like 2

My mum used to take me to Wimpy, I had doughnut and cream......mmmmm

she liked the meal with the hotdog cut to make a circle......irst introduction it cardboard chips....

oh and  occasionally an ice cream sundae.........

• Like 2