Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Regards Louth and my shopping area, these building are spread out over almost a dozen roads, fitting them all in and in relationship to each other would take up a LOT of room, so I am going to try and squeeze them as close as possible, and use similar buildings to reflect the colour of this area

So I will concentrate on those areas where I can fit several elements in....

med_gallery_17883_3449_511121.jpg

skaledale does these two, and they are right next to each other bonus.....

Forbes was on PortLynn, and wil move

med_gallery_17883_2796_155686.jpgrmweb1043portlynn7

• Like 8

I've just struck it lucky. The Skaledale Robinsons is not very similar to the present original,It is the green shop on the left, look for the apple sign, so 'walking' up and down googlemaps I finally found it....and coincidentally it is right opposite Forbes.

1. Found it.

2. It is on Eastgate

3. It is right opposite Forbes, 

which means it can be placed on the layout as such. It won't look good enough to match the picture but it is the correct ksledale building for it.

med_gallery_17883_3449_365126.jpggooglemaps.

and square on

med_gallery_17883_3449_296608.jpggooglemaps

h_robertsons_greengrocers.jpgnewrailwaymodeller!!!!!

Skaledale flattened the bay window and just did one not two.And a new paint job and a different sign. Perhaps this is an older version.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

Jaz/Kal,

This video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13QPwjqIwj0 shows a typical helicopter take-off from Aberdeen. I know every flight I've been on does it like this and almost the same in reverse for landing. Offshore approach for landing depends on wind direction and takes into account any obsticles for 15nm.

Sadly next flight in one is 0715hrs tomorrow, In the usual Bristows S92 G-CHYI helicopter.

Roy

• Like 1

Nice Video Mr B   ................

Jaz/Kal,

This video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13QPwjqIwj0 shows a typical helicopter take-off from Aberdeen. I know every flight I've been on does it like this and almost the same in reverse for landing. Offshore approach for landing depends on wind direction and takes into account any obstacles for 15nm.

Sadly next flight in one is 0715hrs tomorrow, In the usual Bristows S92 G-CHYI helicopter.

Roy

.....................    that "run along the runway and climb" must help the pilots, with the repetitive nature of the flights over the sea.   ...      not sure it does quite so much for the Passenger's stomachs  .....      :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Nice Video Mr B   ................

.....................    that "run along the runway and climb" must help the pilots, with the repetitive nature of the flights over the sea.   ...      not sure it does quite so much for the Passenger's stomachs  .....      :scratchhead:

jcredfer,

Not one of mine but the chap has other videos which have landings too. I had to watch the video myself as i'm normally sleeping by take off as it's 4am start for me and a 8.30pm finish at the other end, a long day glad its only 10-11 times a year.

Roy

jcredfer,

Not one of mine but the chap has other videos which have landings too. I had to watch the video myself as i'm normally sleeping by take off as it's 4am start for me and a 8.30pm finish at the other end, a long day glad its only 10-11 times a year.

Roy

Hope you have a good trip :sungum: ........      

Jaz/Kal,

This video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13QPwjqIwj0 shows a typical helicopter take-off from Aberdeen. I know every flight I've been on does it like this and almost the same in reverse for landing. Offshore approach for landing depends on wind direction and takes into account any obsticles for 15nm.

Roy

Excellent video, and it gives the scenic items on the ground.....not just focused on the helicopter. Thank you. Does the numbers, apply to planes and helicopters?

eg 34-16 (red) E4 (green) ???

I think I will attempt to put this kind of stuff in, then let the knowledgeable people correct me where it is on the layout. :angel:

• Like 3

Oh and as for Louth, I am just checking the road positioning, with those building i can put in relationship to each other.

FYI.....Hornby's Aswell house unfortunately is way too LARGE to be put near the coloured food shops which is where it is in reality. So I don't think I can use it for the shopping area. But I can get one or other of the road splits with a small market area. 

I am just checking if I can get the old Louth station - which is now living accommodation....into the scene. Before cutting the PIR and leaving no room for manoeuvre.

Sadly it is in the middle of a new estate, no tracks, and google did not go down the road in front of it. It might be preserved, but it is a sad sight. I won't be adding it in its present day guise.

I tried to google the old police house.....AAAArrrGGGHHHHH!!!!! I go the likes of right move with old police houses dotted all around the place. I did finally track one down, but I cannot make a match to any Hornby buildings ...however loose.

So the road will be a very Louth  loose :jester: connection. Those buildings I can identify will be placed in position/relationship as near as possible. Skaledale foodshops are coloured similar to those in Aswell Street as mentioned. But often as with Faulkners electrical Hornby have disregarded a lot of the architectural detail above the shop front. Often just putting a flat roof!!!!! 

Okay I think I have found the easy matches. There is plenty of space for generic buildings....so others can be swopped in if I realise they match.So I am off to go play with the PIR.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

The 34-16 refers to the runway direction ........   ie.  40o in one direction and 160o if you approach from the other end.  [They work to the nearest 100

The red board is where the plane waits to be told when it can move onto the runway for take-off - called a holding point.

It is also where the final setting up and checks of the plane takes place    .............................................    it has been known for pilots to do the setting up whilst taxying to the holding point, as it is quicker, but they shouldn't pass that point until the checks etc are complete AND the tower say they can move onto the runway.

Excellent video, and it gives the scenic items on the ground.....not just focused on the helicopter. Thank you. Does the numbers, apply to planes and helicopters?

eg 34-16 (red) E4 (green) ???

I think I will attempt to put this kind of stuff in, then let the knowledgeable people correct me where it is on the layout. :angel:

Edit - more clarity about the markings

Edited by jcredfer

OKay a quick sidestep, as I finish off some stuff cluttering up my desk....kals desk.....and any other space I have grabbed..... :angel:

Another of the Unitmodels I bought

med_gallery_17883_3149_108575.jpgrmweb3310pidgeonloft1

Not very expensive, although those who build WCs or Sheds...could easily make a do it yourself one of these...it caught my eye ...wasn't expensive.....so grabbed it

first lick of paint popped the brush occasionally in water so it did NOT properly adhere....on purpose ....promise.... :butcher:

med_gallery_17883_3149_109156.jpgrmweb3311pidegeonloft2

thin layers of grey and 'wood'

med_gallery_17883_3149_474241.jpgrmweb3312pidgeonloft3

then some superglue :butcher: and some weathering...

I did try looking for picture of pidgeon lofts covered in guano....but there ae no pictures....probably all scared of the RSPCA

med_gallery_17883_3149_89434.jpgrmwe3313pidegeonlift4

will try and get some pictures tomorrow on the layout during the day if the light is ok.

Kal has also been doing some work.

med_gallery_17883_3125_443804.jpgrmweb3314decoders1

fitting some decoders...of which this is one....

med_gallery_17883_3125_393119.jpgrmweb3315decoder2

med_gallery_17883_3125_381963.jpgrmweb3316decoders3

med_gallery_17883_3125_348478.jpgrmweb3317decoders4

any questions.....speak to Kal...I just took the pictures :angel:

• Like 4

I also had a go at the policehouse,

I was here

med_gallery_17883_3149_263423.jpg

I had marked up another two wills sheets, then went to put them together....and found i had one 'upside-down', they did not fit properly....ho hum

med_gallery_17883_3149_78851.jpgrmweb3319polivehouse2

luckily there was a solution

I can't stand it up of course, so will need to cut it on one end at least much soon

med_gallery_17883_3149_155725.jpgrmweb3320policehouse3

and started the colouring.......

and had mad panic, I have used the palest colour for some time and the paint is thickening, and it needs thinning, so i added some white spirit....to a Tamiya paint....

BIGGA MISTAKE.....the paint went funny.....quickly tipped out the excess looked at the bottle.....which mentioned Iso propa....blah blah..   run upstairs added some IPA and mixed and thankfully recovered, nice thin paint....

med_gallery_17883_3149_473021.jpgrmweb3321poliehouse4

so managed to sidestep bad luck 2.......

knowing disasters tend to go in 3s.....am now wary of what else lies ahead..... :superstition:  :superstition:  :superstition:

• Like 4

I also had a go at the policehouse,

I was here

med_gallery_17883_3149_263423.jpg

I had marked up another two wills sheets, then went to put them together....and found i had one 'upside-down', they did not fit properly....ho hum

med_gallery_17883_3149_78851.jpgrmweb3319polivehouse2

luckily there was a solution

I can't stand it up of course, so will need to cut it on one end at least much soon

med_gallery_17883_3149_155725.jpgrmweb3320policehouse3

and started the colouring.......

and had mad panic, I have used the palest colour for some time and the paint is thickening, and it needs thinning, so i added some white spirit....to a Tamiya paint....

BIGGA MISTAKE.....the paint went funny.....quickly tipped out the excess looked at the bottle.....which mentioned Iso propa....blah blah..   run upstairs added some IPA and mixed and thankfully recovered, nice thin paint....

med_gallery_17883_3149_473021.jpgrmweb3321poliehouse4

so managed to sidestep bad luck 2.......

knowing disasters tend to go in 3s.....am now wary of what else lies ahead..... :superstition:  :superstition:  :superstition:

.........................    good job most of us here can't count then   .......      :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Also been doing major tidy up of the boxes of railway items, and found one i had missed.....so quickly added it....

med_gallery_17883_3440_141985.jpgrmweb3322newlayout1

med_gallery_17883_3440_123023.jpgrmweb3323newlyout2

and it is big enough to hold it's own with the larger Hornby building out this year :sungum:

• Like 7

I keep getting a strange rbweb front page, am i for some reason uploading the old area? It is talking about upcoming events in 2008? Is it just me? Are other people experiencing this? Is rmweb having problems and uploading this whilst they deal with a technical problem????

confused.......

Deeply disappointed RaR got in first about the buildings. I was going to ask if a Nissan hut was somewhere to store Japanese cars. Even military people get it wrong, and there's another thread in that...

As for Wimpy Bars they were a treat when I was a nipper. My elderly aunts/grandmother would enter as there was cutlery! The biggest treat of all was to have a knickerbockerglory.

one of Julian's posts reminded me. During the Foot & Mouth disaster in the '90s (?) we were not allowed to use the usual hides on farm land for training so used to go to airfields as they had a lot of dead space. I had to get a special driving licence to go on them.

• Like 6

Jazz, have you heard from Neil (Anotheran) lately or have I missed a holiday or work commitment post?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Now you mention it....he has been quiet.....I'll go see.....

he has not posted since the 27th october.....could be a 2 week holiday.....

but people are not checking out his thread very well.....might have got bored of only him posting on other peoples...and them not reciprocating.....it is horrible to be ignored......

a quick link to doxey end http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87008-doxey-end-something-moving/page-6&do=findComment&comment=1624284

and to Newcastle emlyn http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86196-newcastle-emlyn/page-5&do=findComment&comment=1586059

maybe some posts might flush him out..... :sungum:

Edited by Jaz