Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

This is looking at the outside of the other corner of the Market Square  ....  

15044887064_ecffca01fc_c.jpg

Salisbury Silver St by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Lots more of the Tudor building easier to see here too   .....    There are lots of outside Restaurant tables are down the street the other side of the Flowers.

Lovely reference I'll check this one out for some ideas.If your passing again when the market is on a picture from the front would be lovely.

I think it must vary quite a bit depending where you go   …….   :scratchhead:

Salisbury has tried to maintain it’s older buildings and puts the modern shops inside.  It is pretty easy too see what age they were built in.  There are, of course, some modern exceptions in gaps that were formed with zero choice offered to the population about 69 – 74 years ago.  Most places here are this sort of age and a number a couple of centuries later..............  

15641897526_2c49f8f60d_c.jpg

Salisbury Blue Boar Row by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The Centre of Salisbury still has it’s Market in the Square twice every week.  This Sat view shows the Market Square, with the Market people's Stands/Stalls. and at the Southern edge lots of tables can just be made out.  The next street Southwards has another row of outdoor tables too, on the other side of the run-through Restaurants.  There is a fashion here whereby people do use the outdoor tables and they have cover from the rain in the form of umbrellas and Gazebos, which can be made out on the South edge of the square.

15478983269_3f7b611171_c.jpg

Salisbury Centre by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

There are several other locations, in other Salisbury streets and Squares, with outdoor tables around, like the High St here  ……  where more can just be made out surrounded by red wind breaks further along   …  The buildings are pretty much all old here too ...  many of the older ones are further along and can just be made out, by their wooden beams, 

15480058920_33771b9cc8_c.jpg

Salisbury High St North by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

This is the other end of High St, looking the other way  …

15480059010_2549d4f076_c.jpg

Salisbury High St N end by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Lastly looking to the Southern end of High St, showing the shops and Restaurants In really old buildings and one of the smaller Cathederal Towers on the skyline  …

15480058890_f472698ca8_c.jpg

Salisbury High St Looking South by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It seems that people here really value the older ways, but how long they can hold out for I am not sure  ….    But it is very pleasant while they do…..    :sungum:  :sungum:

I like the pale green colour on the last picture. I having a resign building in progress....but am considering doing scaffolding for a shop front as well. I have a couple of duplicates which would be good for this idea.

Lovely reference I'll check this one out for some ideas.If your passing again when the market is on a picture from the front would be lovely.

I will be busy with MDs birthday Friday and Sat, but am aiming to get a new camera next week    ..............      what a lovely opportunity to try it out  .....      :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

The colour is lovely  ....   it is the Nat Trust shop  .........................     but   ..................

I like the pale green colour on the last picture. I having a resign building in progress....but am considering doing scaffolding for a shop front as well. I have a couple of duplicates which would be good for this idea.

.....................................      How will you   ............................................................................   model the creaking floor  .....    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:   ....    :jester:

• Like 1

Hello Jaz

Must say the town is starting to look impressive with all those buildings. By the time you've worked your usually magic with the PIR I'm sure it will look stunning. Don't envy you doing all those paving slabs though.

One thing, I never knew Salisbury had such a lovely original town centre. Got off at the station loads of times on Charters etc but never ventured into the town. Must correct that next time I go.

Marcus

• Like 2

The colour is lovely  ....   it is the Nat Trust shop  .........................     but   ..................

.....................................      How will you   ............................................................................   model the creaking floor  .....    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:   ....    :jester:

Sound chipped buildings...........Whatever next!! LOL.

• Like 2

Have you also noticed how the second third or even fourth floors are so out of sync on the windows. The models I thought were poor because the windows often don't match in height, but actually that is how it is in real life. Those between the first and second floor often being quite different.

Reference pictures NOT of Louth

1948694_1b437911.jpggeogrph.org.co

Walkers_Book_Shop,_High_Street,_Stamfordgeolocation.ws

2013+1026+015+(LDLUX4)+Stamford.JPGlucymelfordblogspot.com

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

There are numerous ready to plonk shops that are representations of the real thing....

Hornby Skaledae had a real liking for shops in Louth.

And though some are more like the real thing than others. They continue to improve their product.

And earliest version...this may even be a new shop from and the other from a dated photograph....

9770.jpgeuronic.co.uk

R8749_2.jpgthe model

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

nice piece of work, langley models do do animals inc elephants....i have considered a zoo.....too

Me'nage're' ..please.                                      (The average monthly value of a housewife's domestic labor is assessed at ?)

Robinson of Louth doe not appear to be a matched building!!!

21079761.jpg192.com

51fcb9Q70LL._SX300_.jpgbut if you look at the right hand door and consider it replaced by a window, and ignore the upstairs windows H Robinson is not a bad match.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

two for one picture

21079769.jpg192.com now a Clarks show shop

SK_Tearoom__Mensware__H_Robson__Butchers

and to the left

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fgroups%2F445263%40N25%2Fpool%2F98217182%40N00%2F&ei=4ExTVMH1Ocjg7Qa_04A4&psig=AFQjCNFNkolFTOYAmW6JtWpY1-MkZuJXGw&ust=1414831685525587

and the shop to the left.....

the pub was the Woolpack.Woolman

7431457114_85a9ff1246_z.jpgflikr.com

SK_Estate_Agents__Jewlers__Bank.JPGthe left one

6062599347_f684d3841e_z.jpgflickr

Edited by Jaz

Sometimes it isn’t the inhabitants that decide what exists  …..   Here is a little village, with only a few inhabitants  …

15648221796_3a4982168b_c.jpg
Castle Coombe 3 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Picture, below, with one Pub behind and another in sight on the left of the picture  ……   you don’t get many places with 2 Pubs and only a couple of dozen houses   ……  

A place familiar to Kal & Jaz   .....   if they can remember after visiting the hostelries :jester:   ............    the one on the left of the picture used to have the best Home-made hot Pork Pies EVER!  ....    :danced:

15670030821_a80f72d25b_c.jpg
Castle Coombe 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Visitors  …   that’s the reason why   ……......    all because of a film called Dr Doolittle  ...   :O

Came out of the house one day   …..

15670028591_9bc25aff48_c.jpg
Old Courthouse 1 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

………    turned left out of the black door there and walked down the street     …..   there were 2 nice old American ladies just in front
“Gee Winifred, these places look just so beautiful.  Why don’t we have any places like this back home?”
…..    Couldn’t resist, I’m afraid    …….
“That, Madam, would be because Americans simply haven't been around for long enough.”  ……..    :jester:  :jester:

• Like 5

Loth withe the highly piggly shop heights

979-4.jpgexploringlincolnshire.co.uk

A familiar monument

980-4.jpgexplorelincolnsire.co.uk

2141803_4fb860fc.jpggeograph.org.co.uk

3118JPYN6QL.jpgwhich is much more generic than with that distinctive lamppost

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

Have you also noticed how the second third or even fourth floors are so out of sync on the windows. The models I thought were poor because the windows often don't match in height, but actually that is how it is in real life. Those between the first and second floor often being quite different.

1948694_1b437911.jpggeogrph.org.co

Walkers_Book_Shop,_High_Street,_Stamfordgeolocation.ws

2013+1026+015+(LDLUX4)+Stamford.JPGlucymelfordblogspot.com

I have a Pub, a Restaurant and a farmhouse, amongst a few buildings here.  They sit together as background to a couple of Locos.  They look like they are all 3 different scales - totally different - but they are all the same scale, same manufacturer, but represent different eras  ....   so were built to cater for different weather, and different people sizes    ..........

KNowing that doesn't stop it looking a bit odd though   .......    :scratchhead: