Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Well now  .... posting from my [extended] holiday location, somewhere in Nazi-land South of Brazil      .................................

Thank you for al the names....had I got my thinking cap on, i should have googled for names of REF camp helicopter.....DOH........

...............    you might look down, with the aid of Google upon the "Fair fields" of Nancekuke  ....   previously RAF Portreath   ..............................     perhaps a suitable connection with Port Issac, just a few miles up the coast   .......    :sungum:

a quick glance at its history would give you and a certain Kal fella the excuse for a riot of imagination   .......      ...............      and you think your computer Wars are wicked   ....    :girldevil:  

Have to sign off now, lest the Hounds are fitted   .........   with RDF  .........    :secret:

Note RDF = Redders Direction Finding   ..........         :O 

And I would still like to use the old airport, nissan huts etc, side by side with some modern stuff.

Before the thread gets deep into chicken runs, can I please just flag up the correct spelling and origins of Major Nissen's WWI/WW2 1916 hut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissen_hut

Nissan are UK's biggest carmaker - they Mackem in :sungum: derland

dhig

• Like 2

I believe the .................    

Before the thread gets deep into chicken runs, can I please just flag up the correct spelling and origins of Major Nissen's WWI/WW2 1916 hut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissen_hut

Nissan are UK's biggest carmaker - they Mackem in :sungum: derland

dhig

...... 'ens far outrun the 'ans   ..........     :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Someone mentioned Porthreath, which is good as I was struggling to remember the name.  It was a fighter base in WW2 and still is almost as it was then, if you know what to look for, although covered in grass.  There are also web sites of how it was so you could look at google maps and those and work it all out.  (Yeah, I am interested in how it is/was but not that interested.)

• Like 1

Aahem   ...........     well   ........

I can't complain too much about Civvies trying to park their Airliners on Northolt      ..........................................

.............................     RAF Dishforth was about 7-8[?] miles to the North of Linton-on-Ouse and was used for Married Quaters for student pilots.    .....................    at the time it was not an active airfield, although was available for activating if required in emergency   ................

One fine and clear day [remember those descriptions of the weather.]    ...................   the radio crackled into life [hissed briefly actually - but crackled sounds better...]

"Linton, this is C55 - Join. - Over."
"C55, this is Linton. - Join, clear."

"Roger Linton, request Run-and-break."

"C55, you are clear Run-and break."
There is now a pause in conversation as C55 applies full throttle and accelerates as fast as possible to enter the Airfield airspace, in the knowledge that there are no other aircraft in the circuit [= clear].  

He flies, flat out and low along the right hand side of the runway - until near half-way, then pulls up rapidly and rolls, even more rapidly, until the wings are very near vertical - power off - level at 1.000ft - pull back hard on the stick to very near 6g ...   pop out the air-brakes and watch the world spin round until the Downwind leg is reached  ..  level out rapidly and pop in the air-brakes when circuit speed is reached   .........  set circuit power   ..........................    all very steely and great fun  ................   not to say, all rather smooth  ..    :sungum:  :sungum:

"Linton, C55 - Downwind to land."

"C55 - roger."

Slight pause in conversation while he tidies up the plane and pops the undercarriage down, - [the landing is so much smoother that way] - a bit of Flap to keep safe, flying slowly  -  level with the end of the runway, ease back on the throttle lower the nose gently and start to curve round for that immaculate touch-down   ................   so smooth  ...........      :sungum:  

"C55 - Finals, three greens."

...................................        "short hiss"       ....................   "C55, round again."

"C55 Roger."

Curses whichever idiot has got into position to delay his landing and looks for the other clot - without success.  .............  cleans up plane and climbs back up to circuit height keeping lookout for other plane he hasn't spotted yet  .....  

........   gets to downwind and sets plane up for landing again and still no sight of the twit who got in his way    ..............

"Linton, C55, downwind to land."

"C55, roger, ...   can you confirm you are Downwind leg."  ...

Looks down at the airfield   .................   yep there are the Hangars and apron below, spot-on Downwind leg  ...  ........

"Linton, C55 confirm Downwind."

...............................   reaches end of Downwind leg  ....  power down, lower the nose and bank gently for the final turn  ...

"C55, Finals, three greens."

.................................       "C55 this is Linton, are you the aircraft to the North - circling Dishforth ?"

..........................  .........................    ...............................................                             ...........................................

..........................................   "Linton, this is C55  .......    join?"    ..................................................    remember those fine and clear conditions  .........     :jester:

PS. I my defense - looking down on Linton and Dishforth is quite similar    ........................    particularly if you have just been cleared for a Run-and-break into a clear Circuit  .......    :jester:  :jester:  

.............    Eeerrr, what I also missed was that the Pans in front of those hangars were empty, instead of containing 20 - 30 planes   .....    :nono:

Edit - 20 = 30

........    it is all very well for those who chose to rate this "funny"    ...................................................        however    ..........................................

It is unlikely that they have acknowledged - entering the Mess Bar      ......................      to be greeted by that dedicated group of Orifices Officers  ....   from the Control Tower     ..........    .......    all of whom are quite well aware of the afternoon's   ..  excursion?  ...........................      there is only one answer   ........   brass it out, walk to your group of amateurs student pilots  ...  in a very clear voice      ..............       "Fess-up!"     ....      :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 2

Jaz,

Someone mentioned Porthreath, which is good as I was struggling to remember the name.  It was a fighter base in WW2 and still is almost as it was then, if you know what to look for, although covered in grass.  There are also web sites of how it was so you could look at google maps and those and work it all out.  (Yeah, I am interested in how it is/was but not that interested.)

......................     are you suggesting that you don't like the possibility of the "late night knock on the Door"  .......................       :O  :O  :O    ......................................     :jester:  ..   :O  :O

• RMweb Gold

......................     are you suggesting that you don't like the possibility of the "late night knock on the Door"  .......................       :O  :O  :O    ......................................     :jester:  ..   :O  :O

Jaz,

No not really.  It is no longer an RAF base so I am not sure it is the same as spending ages looking at Northolt.  It is just a case of lots of things to do and so little time to do them in.  :yes:

It is not tomorrow, well it was if today was 2nd November 1939, so it would have to be a film set so you may not have the space for it.

• Like 3

what wire is on the chicken coop? 

could you paint some salt water on and let it weather itself? :P

It is a small repair kit (I say kit only the metal mesh is in it) from Halfords, but I can't remember what....there is a picture in the thread......but going looking thru THREE HUNDRED plus pages is .......  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

• RMweb Gold

It is a small repair kit (I say kit only the metal mesh is in it) from Halfords, but I can't remember what....there is a picture in the thread......but going looking thru THREE HUNDRED plus pages is .......  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Jaz, et al,

Is it not a repair kit for filling holes which you put some kind of putty/filler on?  I half remember it from last time, unless of course I have just imagined it.

I love this but can't place it

20090821StAthan208-1.jpg

airfieldinformationexhange.org

ooops clarification...it is St Athans but where???...for clarification I can't spot it on the birds eye view.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

I just Googled this picture   ...  and it turns out to be an old Army Camp called "Cultybraggan" - a few miles North of Stirling in Scotland.

These are Wormingford I believe

Nissen_Huts,_Cultybraggan_Camp.jpg

what made me think of it was the modern Green Bin outside one of the huts   ...   

Wormingford camp is gone and rebuilt over - even the runway is ploughed and the gliding Club use the grass next to a stripe of the old runway

Old Wartime picture here  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Wormingford#mediaviewer/File:Wormingford-10may1946.png 

Edit ladn = land

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

I just Googled this picture   ...  and it turns out to be an old Army Camp called "Cultybraggan" - a few miles North of Stirling in Scotladn.

what made me think of it was the modern Green Bin outside one of the huts   ...   

Wormingford camp is gone and rebuilt over - even the runway is ploughed and the gliding Club use the grass next to a stripe of the old runway

Old Wartime picture here  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Wormingford#mediaviewer/File:Wormingford-10may1946.png 

I hadn't noticed the bin....well spotted.....and a good excuse for me having the same... :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

These are Wormingford I believe

Wormingford-10may1946.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Wormingford-10may1946.png

Julian....what are the receptive little circles?

And how do I recognise  helicopter pad from this view, as I have looked at several airports but so far only found planes.All the pictures of helicopters tend to focus on the helicopter and nothing on the pad they land on. I remember the one I got for PortLynn Cove took me ages to find. I must be missing a pertinent word when i google.If I do helicopter or helicopter pad I just get the squares or circles and the relevant numbers for the size of the helicopter. Does the word 'hangar' not get used for helicopters?

got one, but modern, did they just share the plane hangars?

hangar_large.jpg

these have no mention of sizes, wing width etc, how can you tell as you land if these are big enough for say a chinook???

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

The circles are  Dispersal Pans  .....   where aircraft were parked  ....    ideally there would only be one per Pan, but practical numbers would more often mean 2/3 on a Pan.

The idea was to spread them out so you had to hit each one separately if you wanted to attack them.

If you put them in a nice straight line an attacker can simply line up at one end and spray the lot one after another - and if they are lined up, they tend to be quite close together, so a fire in one will probably get the next one to it  ...   and so on down the line  ...    :O  :O    

If you put them on Dispersals there is less possibility of fire spreading.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Wormingford-10may1946.png

Julian....what are the receptive little circles?

And how do I recognise  helicopter pad from this view, as I have looked at several airports but so far only found planes.All the pictures of helicopters tend to focus on the helicopter and nothing on the pad they land on. I remember the one I got for PortLynn Cove took me ages to find. I must be missing a pertinent word when i google.

Heli-pads tend to be small but will generally have a big "H" in their middle.

Having said that .....   RNAS Culdrose seems to have numbers in the middle of theirs   ...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rn+culdrose&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&ei=gFhXVJv_Ma6M7AaavYHIDw&ved=0CAkQ_AU&output=classic&dg=brw 

Northolt ferries Gov VIPs around and the Pan is South of the runway  ...   they still have an "H"   

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rn+culdrose&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&ei=gFhXVJv_Ma6M7AaavYHIDw&ved=0CAkQ_AU&output=classic&dg=brw 

I will see if I can find anything useful on another couple of busy Heli places.

• Like 1

The circles are  Dispersal Pans  .....   where aircraft were parked  ....    ideally there would only be one per Pan, but practical numbers would more often mean 2/3 on a Pan.

The idea was to spread them out so you had to hit each one separately if you wanted to attack them.

If you put them in a nice straight line an attacker can simply line up at one end and spray the lot one after another - and if they are lined up, they tend to be quite close together, so a fire in one will probably get the next one to it  ...   and so on down the line  ...    :O  :O    

If you put them on Dispersals there is less possibility of fire spreading.

Heli-pads tend to be small but will generally have a big "H" in their middle.

Having said that .....   RNAS Culdrose seems to have numbers in the middle of theirs   ...

Northolt ferries Gov VIPs around and the Pan is South of the runway  ...   they still have an "H"   

I will see if I can find anything useful on another couple of busy Heli places.

FYI.....The second link seems to be the same as the first.....

And I am sorry to be dumb....but what am I looking?Oh lol close the tab and you see it.!!!!!!

But just ONE? and no spot for it to move aside once it is 'down'? 

So when you see them with the yellow circle and the numbers.....is that because they are in close proximity? And in a place where ending landing could be hazardous the grass ones...seem to be just vague circles...barely distinguishable to the untrained eye.

AND at Culdrose.....no access to a hanger without crossing he plane strips!!!! :O  :O  :O

Are then then allowed to hop over those? If a plane is coming in that sounds scary....Do you assume they don't have much traffic and traffic control will then advise you can cross the plane strip....or do they just stand out in the middle and go on to somewhere else? Rather than get housed here?

Edited by Jaz

The old RAF Ternhill, Heli Training place still used "H" in their circles, but that closed ages ago.

The Army Heli training place, at Middle Wallop, has lots of Heli Pads and theirs are similar to the RNAS Culdrose ones - ie. twin circles ....  

[NB. That is just down the road from here and we live under one of their routes to a training area they use.]

RAF Odiham [Chinooks] seems to also have twin circles, like RNAS Culdrose - also with numbers. ....  see picture

15514154688_9133195c93_c.jpg
Heli=Pads by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I can probably get an up to date answer - but for the moment it seems Military Heli-pads no longer have "H" in the middle, but Northolt still has - however it also copes with civvy flights, so may retain the "H" for them.  I know someone who will have the answer and will get back to you later.

• Like 1

The old RAF Ternhill, Heli Training place still used "H" in their circles, but that closed ages ago.

The Army Heli training place, at Middle Wallop, has lots of Heli Pads and theirs are similar to the RNAS Culdrose ones - ie. twin circles ....  

[NB. That is just down the road from here and we live under one of their routes to a training area they use.]

RAF Odiham [Chinooks] seems to also have twin circles, like RNAS Culdrose - also with numbers. ....  see picture

15514154688_9133195c93_c.jpg

Heli=Pads by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I can probably get an up to date answer - but for the moment it seems Military Heli-pads no longer have "H" in the middle, but Northolt still has - however it also copes with civvy flights, so may retain the "H" for them.  I know someone who will have the answer and will get back to you later.

I notice the 41 42 43 seem to have  newer circle each and an older more faded....hopefully poor weather would not cause mistakes...especially if as you say these are a training area!!!!!