oooh yes.....I forgot the other area I have done

butchers....ticked.....

patience the jeweller....ticked

nearly new shopsx2.....ticked

busbys hair salonx2....ticked......

2nd estate agents.....need more

and more than one bank too......

no fishing tackle....

no coffee shop.....good call on that one.....

no kebab as i mentioned previously.....

and one we both forgot.......a nail shop!!!!!!.......NO not an iron mongers they are long gone.....fashion false nails.......

Which Metropolis do you think you are living in ?      .........................     unless you mean Bottle-Bank     ..........     :jester:  :jester:

Oh come now    .............

Which Metropolis do you think you are living in ?      .........................     unless you mean Bottle-Bank     ..........     :jester:  :jester:

I can think of several in small towns (< 20,000) Herts, Beds, Bucks, Surrey, Sussex etc with Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, Nat West, Santander

I can think of several in small towns (< 20,000) Herts, Beds, Bucks, Surrey, Sussex etc with Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, Nat West, Santander

..............................................        :swoon:       .............   

In regards to shops -

charity shops come in 3`s or 4`s or one place near me theres 8 in a row  all for different causes..  Then there  is the small independent mobile phone shops selling millions of phone case colors and offering phone unlocking.  

AND don't forget subway or as in Leeds city centre case a Greggs on every other street, I don't take much notice now but last year in town me & mate were having a mooch about. anyway long story short on Vicar lane inside and around the market we counted 11 Greggs you cant walk around Leeds centre without being within a spits throw of one -  

Q - how many sausage rolls can one eat in a day and not die lol

Love your Louth idea for town scene as a very quaint place I use to work 2 mile north of it.

ps: you can keep wow I prefer runescape  :declare:   :blum:   (don't argue or mute wand may have to work lol  on RS anyway  )  ;) 

Edited by yorkie_pudd

I used to love runescape.....hated chopping wood tho, and i didn't like 'killing' in pvp....some of the kids would get really upset, and hated that you could trap them in buildings shut the door let the nap inside kill 'em.....but did love the farming.......and questing of course..........ages since i played the free or paid version....loved the box for your toys outfits too

We had a ten foot Indian Boa, an eighteen inch boa british bred, a hog island boa (which was fairly rare in this days). Kings, corns, parrot, a nasty large reticulated python, parrots (2 given to us by a shop who could not get them to eat...we spoke to our friendly zoo keeper who said cat food (nod NEVER dog food) in a syringe when you get home (we had them less than a week) but he said sound so poorly they may not survive, they didn't poor things, and how he had them when they are technically poisonous? We had one where you had to buy a salamander (not cheap) freeze it (poor thing) rub the salamander on the fish (gold fish usually) as it was bought wild no salamander smell not eating the food. 

Our ten foot boa was called Houdini he was kept in a (fish tank) which had a top and stones on top, he would make an M shape lift the lid of ...squeeze his head out first and get his tail out of the way too, often you would have a THUMP when a stone went. He liked warmth and would sit on the video player, and TWICE he actually went and 'sat' on Kal's lap!!!!!!! Curled up and everything not just slithered over. When he died it was the most upsetting. He had had a previous owner from what age lord knows, but snakes are not cats or dogs they have no friendship prepay with you. you feed them...and they look for ways to escape. We used to let houdini out in the garden. Kal used to walk around with him on his shoulders. Those brave enough to stroke him were surprised that he was warm to the touch (sitting on Kals shoulders usually provided the heat rather than lying in the sun) but they had to be warmed to stroke him head to tail to not catch his scales and cause a wound, and though the scales don't lift prosy heavy petting of his skin was not encouraged. Kal read all the books, knew all the names.

The reticulated snake escaped, we had our loft ladder down, we shared a common loft with 4 other houses, so we had to warn the other three to  keep their lofts shut until we caught him again (took a bout a week) one girl was pregnant.....they never spoke to us a gain......I would say oops.....but we were rather horrified ourselves.....most people not wanting to experience the possibility of a 6 foot nasty tempered snake falling down on them, I think her husband mentioned nailing the loft shut until we advised the xxxx thing was caught. He was put in a proper vivarium after. Houdini continued in his fish tank.....but was locked in our bedroom. We had all the snakes before we had kids, and owned a 3 bed house, We also had anoles, and kept crickets, my best friend said we had a better selection than most pet shops. Plus many snakes have no interests in nice looking cages wit real plants, so most were on newspaper with a large piece of cork to hide under, and a big bowl of water. Many were in pairs....which is a problem in its self as the have a habit of being canabalistic.....and swallowing their 'companion' we had a small bottle of rum nearby as the hate alcohol and will then regurgitate, We had to separate one pair (the King snakes I think) because after 3 attempts it was obvious one really 'fancied' the other and not in a good way. We also bought 2 tree frogs, next day 1 tree frog......never have more than one....When they say survival of the species.....that wasn't quite what I had in mind........

Oh and a word of warning never get a snake that gets big, especially if you have small cats or dogs, a number of people we knew in the snake keeping business had lost dogs the size of chihuahuas!!!!!!!!

AND never let them wrap them selves around your neck or indeed anyones neck, especially children, wrap around is how they clim, cling, but also suffocate before eating. That said, the snake has to be a good size to be of danger. And they get ticks, wild bought ones should often be checked and vaseline popped on. Otherwise they can migrate to the dogs and cats with weird diseases. Not that I ever heard of this happening, BUT there was a potential.

And they are not as scary as they sound.And you can buy frozen pinkies or male baby chick to feed them. So nasty smell mice or rats to look after. Unless they only eat live food....and the RSPCA frown on feeding one live animal to another.

You did remember I said Alice through the looking glass? This thread is seriously surreal at the moment.

I might go photograph a train or two as it has been mentioned we just don't show them off enough.

Been through some of those tribulations, although the only one I ever lost (escaped) was on a bus!! (Don't ask.....) - never did turn up!

Incidentally - as a private keeper you need to be licensed under the dangerous wild animals act to keep venomous snakes, but if you have a pet shop license that covers you, which is probably how the shop had them (shouldn't have given them to you if you didn't have a license though).

In regards to shops -

charity shops come in 3`s or 4`s or one place near me theres 8 in a row  all for different causes..  Then there  is the small independent mobile phone shops selling millions of phone case colors and offering phone unlocking.  

AND don't forget subway or as in Leeds city centre case a Greggs on every other street, I don't take much notice now but last year in town me & mate were having a mooch about. anyway long story short on Vicar lane inside and around the market we counted 11 Greggs you cant walk around Leeds centre without being within a spits throw of one -  

Q - how many sausage rolls can one eat in a day and not die lol

Love your Louth idea for town scene as a very quaint place I use to work 2 mile north of it.

ps: you can keep wow I prefer runescape  :declare:   :blum:   (don't argue or mute wand may have to work lol  on RS anyway  )  ;) 

Bakers.....I have loads of those....just as well from what you say LOL

....phone shops!!!!!......not got one......will need to thing about that one....thank you

sausage rolls are ok......but a good cornish pasty.....i really like minsters pasty.....the swede makes it for me and the pepper, but those 'real' cornish pasty shops. Never too sure about the tin miners ones with savoury one end and sweet the other.....I prefer TWO pasties... :angel: ....warm and juicy.....

Edited by Jaz

Oh, and forgot to add, gave up on the boas and pythons as I got fed up of the need to clean their cages with a shovel - their output is akin to that of a St Bernard or other big dog !!!

yes several layers of newspaper very important. But to be fair they don't eat often and don't pass often either. But more snakes does equal more snake smell.......

Visitors are more comfortable with say cats and dogs. Up against snakes.....once introduced my two dobermans are usually quite popular, not many people refuse to give the a stroke when pestered with a head nudge.... :angel: oh and we did keep ferrets, very friendly, but inquisitive, and if they 'escape' they don't come back. Walking hem on leads is essential. And occasionally if roughly handled they will nip, but they consider humans to be great toys.Oh and a certain person liked spiders big horrible things, supposedly in nON climb cages....tell THAT to the spiders. I spent a couple of hours in the car in the snow awaiting the return of my husband because one cage appeared empty (I used to check it when I came in) and he went in looked, nd said oooh look its managed to climb the nON climb sides......cold and disgusted I smacked the top of the cage so it fell, and he was ...oi oi you can break a leg or its back.....I was freezing!!!!!!!! House spiders NOT a problem, except if near my face....red legged chileans....S H U D D E R S sssssssss,,,,,,,,, :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

• Like 1

Don't forget a bookies. There are loads about now

oooooooh......yes ........and the occasional shop front that has china outside.....and apparently fruit machines inside....never been in one......but i do notice them. A bookies yes they are usually several.

Cor Bachmann and Hornby really need to stop being repetitive on their bakers and food shops and broaden their horizons.

• Like 1

Hi Jaz Kal, Sorry I missed the 200,000 milestone, that really is some hits, I must say that with all the different things you've been up to (ON HERE) its been interesting to follow, from the Graffiti to the Dammed Clowns and also the Rainbow Loco Repaint etc. 

Well done Kids.

I feel there is something missing, from the Parade of, the Dammed Clowns       find it       .Here... :O and scroll down,just a tad.

oooooooh......yes ........and the occasional shop front that has china outside.....and apparently fruit machines inside....never been in one......but i do notice them. A bookies yes they are usually several.

Cor Bachmann and Hornby really need to stop being repetitive on their bakers and food shops and broaden their horizons.

And don't forget one or two empty shops with signs on the windows

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

This may sound obvious or silly.  It depends on what type of town you are depicting.

If it is somewhere like Lough then you will still get a Tea Shop, that sells the local cake you have with butter, cannot remember what it is called.  If it is a bigger town then you will get the coffee shops or they will be in the Department Stores.  In the bigger towns or cities then you will get the shopping Malls and hopefully some nicer shops outside.

All the big shops will be the same though.

• Like 3

The net step is to decide how to sort the areas.

med_gallery_17883_3440_412772.jpgrmweb3264kalboro union station

this bottom left area, is a god one for cobbled area, and a seating area for the pub and the wine bar. And perhaps that rare thing in town a tree.....

the backs of the shops and stores lend them selves to advertising boards to be seen by the passengers i the trains, or people idling away time waiting for their train to arrive...

• Like 2

And when googling i was damaged how shops of 2,3,4 stories are mixed higgledy piggerly and different brick colours....amaxing what was allowed to be built.

I have loads of 2 storey buildings, some might take an add on attic window.....has anyone done solar panels yet? then the satellite dishes and aerials.....moss, etc.....

there will be loads to consider.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

What is interesting is when was the town last redeveloped?  If I remember the towns I have been to in Lincolnshire had not been, so they had modern stores in old buildings, same as in Henley.  If you look at a picture of Romford you will see a 1958 picture of a nice market town and then it was 'improved'.  It is horrible now but some of the old buildings remain next to new ones, although some shopping malls are not as honest as this one:-

post-11508-0-38067000-1414655933.jpg

I think you said earlier about having lower buildings, spaces at the front; I think that is a good idea.  Also the pavement café is quite popular although with our weather I cannot quite understand it.

• Like 3

It is true we do not enjoy good weather, and the patio heaters don't seem to be popular any more so they must no be cost effective. I go past a lot of places with seats out side just not many people sat on them.

• Like 1

I think it must vary quite a bit depending where you go   …….   :scratchhead:

It is true we do not enjoy good weather, and the patio heaters don't seem to be popular any more so they must no be cost effective. I go past a lot of places with seats out side just not many people sat on them.

Salisbury has tried to maintain it’s older buildings and puts the modern shops inside.  It is pretty easy too see what age they were built in.  There are, of course, some modern exceptions in gaps that were formed with zero choice offered to the population about 69 – 74 years ago.  Most places here are this sort of age and a number a couple of centuries later..............  

15641897526_2c49f8f60d_c.jpg
Salisbury Blue Boar Row by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The Centre of Salisbury still has it’s Market in the Square twice every week.  This Sat view shows the Market Square, with the Market people's Stands/Stalls. and at the Southern edge lots of tables can just be made out.  The next street Southwards has another row of outdoor tables too, on the other side of the run-through Restaurants.  There is a fashion here whereby people do use the outdoor tables and they have cover from the rain in the form of umbrellas and Gazebos, which can be made out on the South edge of the square.

15478983269_3f7b611171_c.jpg
Salisbury Centre by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

There are several other locations, in other Salisbury streets and Squares, with outdoor tables around, like the High St here  ……  where more can just be made out surrounded by red wind breaks further along   …  The buildings are pretty much all old here too ...  many of the older ones are further along and can just be made out, by their wooden beams, 

15480058920_33771b9cc8_c.jpg
Salisbury High St North by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

This is the other end of High St, looking the other way  …

15480059010_2549d4f076_c.jpg
Salisbury High St N end by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Lastly looking to the Southern end of High St, showing the shops and Restaurants In really old buildings and one of the smaller Cathederal Towers on the skyline  …

15480058890_f472698ca8_c.jpg
Salisbury High St Looking South by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It seems that people here really value the older ways, but how long they can hold out for I am not sure  ….    But it is very pleasant while they do…..    :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 3