Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

get out all the drawings and match the grid, fill in the buildings and details on the base

med_gallery_17883_2878_212491.jpgrmweb208goathland1

cut PIR, remove foil (without swearing) redo grid and fill in again (both base and PIR ensuring drawings match)

med_gallery_17883_2878_395767.jpgrmweb209goathland2

check recheck take a deep breathe and start cutting (I had to go sort something out left Kal to the brave part)

med_gallery_17883_2878_614524.jpgrmweb210goathland3

close up

med_gallery_17883_2878_189559.jpgrmweb211goathland4

once we finish the cut to this area,I need to model the platform side to match this one already done - which is almost finished

med_gallery_17883_2878_163036.jpgrmweb212goathland5

It was left because I wanted to ensure the colours matched (my excuse anyway)

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Just caught up, what with having togo to work for two days, then Christmas shopping and today Grand parent duty.

I like the photos of work in progress, they are much more helpful than threads that go, 'Look at my wonderful achievement', followed by loads saying 'oh Wonderful!'. 

Having said that, I like the toilet.  Is that your first scratch build?  I have used a stanley knife on wills limewash effect sheets for the cottage that I am building, but the sheets are bigger than the cottage, except the ends of course.  I realised that I could not turn the sides on their end to make the ends as the relief would go in the wrong direction! 

I used a file to mitre the corners.  It was surprisingly quick but I cannot say how accurate they are as it is not stuck together yet.  Well, I have only been building it for over two years so what do you expect?  (I have to add that I have been doing other modelling things as well.)

Not wishing to be a creep but that 10 Commandments shed rather lets the side down compared to yours.

HI

Thank-you Chris, Over time we will replace most buildings with scratch build and those we don't we will try and modify to capture those missing elements.  If nothing else we have become more critical of ourselves as time goes by and learnt the ability, in part, to be able to say, not happy with that, lets try again. Well sometimes, it is a bind.  I still look back at the old photos of the Goathland and think I really liked that.... but at least we have the pictures, and in due course will be more happy with it's replacement.

Having said that, I like the toilet. Is that your first scratch build?

Well it's my first finished scratch build. Earlier in this thread I started Ye Olde White Horse (a rather LARGE pub) making it out of 20 and 30 thou, however when I got to the thatched roof, I used DAS and hit a slight problem the roof was potential heavy enough to collapse the walls. I got thick black to make a reinforced interior, when Kal said why not replace the flimsy (when under strain from a pack or two of DAS) with the black and I can add LEDs without it shining thru,.Then G&WR coughed, and I had to do something in an evening....so a stubby4-esque WC seemed appropriate.

Plus by this time I was watching act_mr and Freebs as well as G&WR and later JCL all power housing through with new skills, so I though hmmmm, once Goathland main station is back up to a half decent level, I can refer to all their great new skills. Sly old cat :sungum:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

No new work at the moment had to take Dad to hospital for a follow up scan, lass thinks it's all clear. So he got his Xmas pressie early. We might get some done this pm. Don't hold your breathe.

Silky_Jack... Kal will be on soon and answer.

• Like 1

And just for that........

extending the heartbeat area, more grass and the building set back

med_gallery_17883_3001_3284.jpgrmweb23heartbeat1

a view with the twig not even turned into a tree, you can still make it look ok

med_gallery_17883_3001_324235.jpgrmweb214heartbeat2

the new join needs some work, the pinky colour is my soil, two shades of fine turf by woodland scenic, i go for the British Army camo look with 2 colours,

which can have a third colour added when I have a large area ready, before adding static grass, trees, bushes etc.

med_gallery_17883_3001_461691.jpgrmweb215heartbeat3

a paint scraper and some grey emulsion later

med_gallery_17883_3001_74821.jpgrmweb216heartbeat4

the bridge sits too high, so fillets, not too regular, obvious patterns glare out

med_gallery_17883_3001_194337.jpgrmweb217heartbeat5

some more grey paint, will add some grass on the asides when dry

med_gallery_17883_3001_51056.jpgrmweb218heartbeat6

a little grass added the other side of the new road, and some black added to the road

med_gallery_17883_3001_75736.jpgrmweb219heartbeat7

an angled view, as said before some more grass will be added to the road slopes when dry, more colour washes will be added to the road when the new paint has dried off

med_gallery_17883_3001_65722.jpgrmweb220heartbeat8

and the grass on the sides will be added after that

med_gallery_17883_3001_737382.jpgrmweb221heartbeat9

There you go a blow by blow as I extend and start to join the scenery. With some obvious joins etc which will need treatment in the near future.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Looking Good.  I look forward to seeing it progress.

Hope your Dad continues to improve.

As it's nearly Christmas, you may have noticed, and we have all the family round and some staying with us I may not be popping in too much in the next few days, so to all who read this thread and to Jaz & Kal, have a HAPPY CHRISTMAS and a good NEW YEAR,

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

He wants to build a shed inside the barn, he wants it to fill the whole barn, he wants lights heating, he would like a mezzanine......is it any wonder I get heart palpations thinking about it!!!!!

What's wrong with that :sungum:

What's wrong with that :sungum:

The barns 40 foot x 45 foot, have you considered the cost???  :P  :banghead:  :swoon:

Or to put it into perspective, just how many trains,locos, decoders, sound decoders, trains, buildings, wills kits, evergreen,  etc do you think you could have for what that would cost???????

Not to mentions shoes, handbags, jewellery, and I never get my nails manicured or my hair cut professionally (having had a previously mentioned mullet and two head/hair burnings (1980s and perms have a lot to answer for)I cut my own!!!) :angel:

That train was in my town, unfortunately I missed it this year. :(

My commiserations, I would have run out to see that if I had thought it was passing nearby.

No I usually use a sanding block to rough down the edge when I accidentally break one!!! Nailvarnish is a problem, as nearly all the materials I use rub/wear/wash it off. Which is why I usually paint my toenails instead. You might consider that for those sling back wellies :P