Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

The whole station area is one piece of 1/4" MDF cut out with a jigsaw and pinned onto the ribs I forgot to add another 1/4" under the platforms to compensate for the cork underlay. A mistake I wont make twice :derisive:

You can see the ribs. The foam at back is stuck onto the MDF and underneath at front. 

attachicon.gifpost-8964-0-94480400-1356893583_thumb1.jpg

Hi

Yes used a Hybrid of what you have done, some areas are raised or lowered using cut out sections, however for the camping coaches, I decided to profile the PIR, to try and get the slope. We shall see how successful it is.

As you can see if it doesn't work out, I am always prepared to chuck it away and start again  :)

Hi Both,

even looking at these pictures with the rough cut foam, the idea is already evident ...........  very skillful   .......     :sungum:

There is a lovely shape/form developing, very much like the real pictures.

Thanks, you are too kind. I think it will be more obvious as it is painted. Some repairs needed to platform edges around the slope etc, but starting to get more and more comfortable with sulphating the PIR, at the end of the job, you can always, chuck it, patch it up and use some filler.

As it is being made in sections, I think if something does not look right I can cut that area out in the future and glue in another section of PIR.

It is much easier  to work than FOAMboard or wood.

NOTE:  this is not Foamboard, it is PIR. I only say this, because anyone reading this will not get the same properties with foam board, 

Edited by Kal

Re:Building's extension curve

One suggestion up for offer..............How have others' tackled,the building's extention curve ?

I would be tempted to mark out,the buildings bases,on the pir, remove them to the work bench,

adhere to x-thou. plasti card.covering all of the building bases

Once dried,pack the gap's, then give them a layer of.........

dt

Useful advice. The buildings have foundations cut into the PIR, but filling the gaps where they meet the PIR will be interesting. Between the gaps in the building, I may actually buy another middle building and chop it up to make the missing pieces, or Jaz says she could fill it. Long term though I think we replace them with Scratch build as and when skill and time catches up.

I think your idea though has uses in many other places too, not least the joins between PIR boards

Edited by Kal

Thank-you and a great Christmas and New year to you too.

Until you said it, I had only though of using the dust for filling gaps with PVA....   but now you mention it the sanding residue may make very good snow.

I will let you know.

Hi Rachel,

Nice to see you posting on our thread,

Guys you should check this lady's work out. She is a fantastic all rounder. Some of her detail painting is so realistic it will make you cry....Her buildings, plus her interior details will give Freebs and acg-mr and C&WR and JCL something well worth while checking out. In fact her painting would I think make Iain (Robinson of Downes and Robinson "Anything You can do I can do better" thread)a little green about the gills. Her gallery albums will interest Mick.

check this out for an interior, chairs clocks etc, weathering? A thing of beauty.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/620-northern-maidens-workbench/page-2&do=findComment&comment=43198

oh and the next post on this link shows her technique for rust - which I suspect will soon be copied. In fact her work will give you your christmas present. Because you can use her work to improve a couple of aspect of your (our) own.

As for her figure painting, I am still green with envy. The people are fantastic but the cows make me want to weep. As soon as I have some time I will be attempting to emulate hers.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1306-northern-maidens-paint-shed/&do=findComment&comment=8451

She also states how she does some of her work. And if I sound over enthusiastic just go look for yourself.

Any way Rachel, after singing your praises, I return the sentiment...

I wish you and yours a Merry Xmas and a great Hogmanay.

Well we managed to weather the storm without too much damage I think. We lost the top off the Chimney and a number of plant pots floating around but housewise I think everything else stayed on.

Need to go and check the trees later and see if we had any damage.

Edited by Kal

I have now taken delivery of a bunch of the Modern Locomotive Illustrated Magazine back issues and set up a subscription.

Very useful they are too, each month a different Loco or in some cases loco's/MU's. They will be very useful in detailing my locos, when we start. The stats are useful too for adding into to to RR&co, so that I can try to run them scale speed and momentum.

Just short of 4 back issue copies:  176, 180, 186 and 200... so if you see any for sale please let me know.

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Premium

Well we managed to weather the storm without too much damage I think. We lost the top off the Chimney and a number of plant pots floating around but housewise I think everything else stayed on.

Need to go and check the trees later and see if we had any damage.

So the layout's OK - how about the house? :O

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Kal & Jaz

I'm currently waiting on Bangor Station to catch photos, Dam... its cold standing around here... it will be interesting to catch it for real and have proof he exsists... lol

Below are the Railway stations it will be passing near you...
Hopefully I have found all the nearest Railway Stations that are nearest to you, these have been validated into the Network Rail Log...

1X01 2358 North Pole International to North Pole International Christmas Special service

ALSO Stopping at a Railway Station Near You... 24 Dec 2013... Do a Search Now.... DONT MISS IT....

Bangor
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S73184/2013/12/24/advanced

Have a great Day Tomorrow with friends and family, and a great New Year to all of you.

Wishing you the very Best.
Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

7APT7

Hey long time no see, hope all is well with you , a Merry Xmas to you and yours, and hopefully a great New Year.

Shoulda invested in a fleece mate ;P

I thought that train was a joke, Kal pointed the time table out to me before.