Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Well wired up 4 new sections and a programming track and switch, all tested with train controller, but I have now got one BDL168 show permanent occupancy, and an se8c playing up. Need to clear out under the tables and track down the faults.

See if I can sort it tomorrow, and finish of wiring the Goathland main sections.

One step forward, two backwards :(

• Like 3

A friend kindly pmed me with an idea for the tunnel.....this was my response...............

'The tunnel itself is big enough for trains to pass and can just be painted black / grey / smoke, the other end will never be seen and is fine.

The problem is the tunnel mouth, it is not flat so harder to work on, it was not cut originally with the symmetry of the tunnel mouth in mind. Hence it is not a nice smooth shape, if you put the mouth over that paper (he suggested drawing the tunnel mouth and matching the other end) and drew a pencil line it would show just how bad the semi circle is to start with.It is that that is annoying me so much.

Making something from perfectly good materials which you cut out is one thing, starting with a tunnel entrance that is lop sided quite another.

I need to somehow improve the tunnel opening, BUT cannot afford to make the hole much bigger because there is little left of the hill side to cut out, you note that we are back to the 'tin' foil already!!!! 

Cut and shaping bricks are easy, I had cut the bricks an even size from the edge of the tunnel mouth, but once the wall was shaded back, the bricks around the edge of the tunnel mouth look frankly AWFUL.

Taking a new flat piece of material that I can lay flat on a work desk and align a ruler on will be infinitely easier, but having started the process I don't want to give up on it. Getting a saw out and recutting the finish might result in breaking the fragile hill side. 

It was in the hope of filling in the obvious fault in the smooth curve that got me onto the milliput.....which at the moment I am painting. Filling in is obviously not going to be a quick fix, Neither can I fill it in with foam because the curve is not really bad....just annoying me. 

IF I was to ignore the fault and carry on I could probably bodge it enough that with all the detail added and the bricks tidied up, it would be passable and not noticeable especially as it will only be looked at when a loco whizzes through. 

The question is will it niggle me forever more...........

On the upside ...........The bin bags are look good though.  :) So if you ever have some left over milliput I can advise you how to use it up LMAO.

The idea you mention may well be a VERY GOOD IDEA for the road bridge....and no the idea had not occurred. although we were considering printing off a picture to 90% 80% etc until we matched the 1:76 then sticking to the edge and carefully cutting to match.

Because we both tend to wing it  some ides work others don't. I will probably sand the lot flat again and restart if necessary using plasticard and paper to get the shape.....very Blue Peter.

....At the end of the day...if RMweb has taught us one thing it has taught us you can rip it up and start again............

Edited by Jaz

Bin bags...left over milliput.....shaped...small and cut a little at the end for the ties.....painted black citadel abaddon black no extra finish.... some humbrol 18 orange for sanisburys shopping bags....and some white...and some green plant material bags.....some larger some smaller to sit on the wheelies, I make the shape and press some of the bases flat...one even represented a split....

med_gallery_17883_2804_380095.jpgrmweb277binbags1

the bags just piled together in the foreground

med_gallery_17883_2804_114094.jpgrmweb278binbags2

some bags outside the church with green plant material tided 

med_gallery_17883_2804_292163.jpg

A close up

med_gallery_17883_2804_193184.jpgrmweb279binbags4

Along the road the bin bags spewing out and some next to the wheelie bins, luckily no cats so far have ripped them open

med_gallery_17883_2804_167357.jpgrmweb280binbags5

I really must add the road lines and lamp posts to this area.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 6

I mixed enough milliput to make some as well sacks, on reflection they are a little large, but if they are used as extra detail rather than main detail, it is not too obvious, they could have represented sacks of potatoes with the market stalls...but at present the stalls are in a box so I found a photographic spot on Kalborough

med_gallery_17883_2760_392535.jpgrmweb281sacks1

And while the light was looking good I took another picture

med_gallery_17883_2760_159155.jpgrmweb283kalborough

or two

med_gallery_17883_2760_882914.jpgrmweb283kalboro3

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Can you not reinforce the tunnel by gluing it to a thin piece of MDF or ply.

Make a perfect tunnel mouth former insert and tape in place then spray the end to see where additional filing is required.

Yes! If you're not happy start over.  Examples: My viaduct. Avon Park the shelf layout.

Good luck, Shaun.

• Like 2

I've decided to flatten the front of the tunnel, try to correct the tunnel opening to a symmetrical shape, and if I succeed start again. if not I'll make a frontage. I need to work the idea before I go for the bridge regardless.

edit = Oh lol Sasquatch you beat me to it.

Edited by Jaz

Well.... Despite good intentions, I got nothing done today except watching some Right track videos and buying a new loco, oh and reading some of my modern locomotive illustrated magazines.

I think I may need my sanders refilling as I just couldn't seem to get any traction, wrong kind of leaves I reckon.

• RMweb Gold

I've been doing a bit of catching up, tonight, and look what I've missed! All Jaz's rubbish :)

Some more superb modelling, and I'm sure you'll sort out the tunnel soon.

Kal, you need to back off a bit and take a run up :)

Cheers both,

Al.

• Like 1

Hi

I have been discussing the use of Sprog and JMRI Decoder Pro3 to a good friend recently and so thought I would post a few pointers as to how easy and useful I find it. The next few posts, I will get Jaz, the house photographer, to post some pictures and I will explain what you are seeing.

Any questions or pointers by anyone... please feel free to butt in.

Edited by Kal

OK

so this is the Sprog. Simple little device, give it a small power supply, plug the usb into your computer, wire it to a length of track and you have a useful test section and programming track.

With this installed, you can then install JMRI Decoder Pro from their website on Windows, MAC, Linnux and a number of other platforms.

Of course you do not need a SPROG as JMRI supports lots and lots of DCC systems.

In my house, I have one set up downstairs with the Sprog on Windows, One upstairs connect to Digitrax as you will see, and One installed on my MAC for Reference and not connected to any DCC.

I share the same roster files across all three, so that any changes on one apply to them all.

That way I can setup and test in the Model room, add details from my office and run it up on the layout. Seamless.

I love it.

Edited by Kal

Here you can see my Digitrax DCS200 CS, this is the main control centre for Arboretum Valley.

It has a main output and an output for a programming track.

I use a simple switch to change a section of my layout between Programming Track and Detected section.

The section is 83" long. Why?, well... that is a scale 1/10th of a mile and it is useful for manual timing of locos for scale speed and some of the functions built into ZIMO decoders.

I also use RR&co Traincontroller to run the layout so this is also my profiling section.

The Switch will be replaced by a relay later, when this area is all spruced up, but for now it works and can be hidden beneath a line side building.

Next....   we will look at Decoder Pro 3 on Windows.

Any questions?

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

Here is what you see when you start up Decoder Pro, or at least when you have some entries in the Roster. On fist running you will get an Introduction with some instruction on how to add a loco.

If you need to change your DCC system, you find it in Preferences as shown, you can even have multiple DCC systems from multiple vendors if you wish.

EG, one for trains, one for detection and one for points and signals, if that floats your boat.

For Digitrax, I have a PR3 and a locobuffer to interface the Digitrax system to the Computer., With the sprig of course it is built in.

I use the Locobuffer for the Traincontroller and the PR3  for JMRI Decoder Pro so that I can have them both connected simultaneously.

Next I will give  simple guide to adding a new loco.

Any Questions?

Edited by Kal

• RMweb Gold

Ooh, ooh, Me Sir!

I'm very interested in this, as I have been considering buying some form of Sprog, ultimately to control the layout in total, but initially as a way to get to grips with DCC programming.

As my day job is to do with computery nonsense, I like the idea of computer control of the layout, and its possibilities. I would like to use JMRI, as I am a big user of open-source software in general, and I would also be able to modify and tailor it to my exact requirements.

So questions:

Is it realistic to consider a Sprog3 as the main controller for a layout, or is that a step too far?

Is it possible for Sprog / JMRI to communicate over an ethernet network - so multiple control points are possible using centrally held configs?

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Al.

Is it realistic to consider a Sprog3 as the main controller for a layout, or is that a step too far?

Is it possible for Sprog / JMRI to communicate over an ethernet network - so multiple control points are possible using centrally held configs?

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Al.

Hi Al

The Sprog 3 with it's bigger power supply can be used as a layout controller and it is a good starting point in my opinion, with the advantage that when you get bigger and better, it has a continued use as a remote programmer and the Power supply can also be used for something else.  If you are a member of MERG, you can also get a discount on the SPROG.

Yes JMRI does have ethernet connection and also a couple of Servers applications that you can run, also if it is your inclination, you can of course expand this however you wish as it is open source. You could actually run multiple layouts using the same roster of trains or run a single layout from multiple computers.

Edited by Kal

In respect of JMRI in General, I would say everyone should download it and give it a try.

It is free to use and you can get a good feel for it , even if you do not have a DCC system or even layout to connect it to.

As well as Decoder Pro it contains Panel Pro, which you can play with to see how you could control your layout.

Maybe it is just me, but I found it fun even before I laid my first track.

Edited by Kal