Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 42xx- not a bashing thread

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy for the comments. It is good that SK has taken on board everything from the other thread. I believe we all hope that this model will be a success, the ball is now in Hornby's court.

• RMweb Premium

Lets see - what is the alternatives?

I have a built up Ks kit of the 2-8-2T (not for the faint hearted - or you can seek out a Cotswold kit and have a go with that.

Having seen some of the comments on threads here and elsewhere its time to "get real" - this is a good starting point for further enhancement.

Hornby's suppliers have caused Hornby (and other manufacturers) a lot of problems - in this case they are not insurmountable.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My 72XX chuffs around my layout OK it has a minimum radius of 36" mainly on points so it should be no trouble to a 42/52 loco just make sure your track is nice and flat with no doglegs.

81C

When I said radius, I really meant diameter.

Looking at the cover of the latest BRM (weathered 5205) it seems that the running plate is not straight with visible gaps between the running plate and the underside of the tank.  Possibly the weathering has highlighted this.  Is it just this particular example or are they all like that?

There is also a missing lamp iron. something evident in other review examples.

Mike

Looking at the cover of the latest BRM (weathered 5205) it seems that the running plate is not straight with visible gaps between the running plate and the underside of the tank.  Possibly the weathering has highlighted this.  Is it just this particular example or are they all like that?

There's a series of clips along the bottom of the tanks and bunker that slot into the running plate. If they're not fully pressed home you get this effect.

There is also a missing lamp iron. something evident in other review examples.

Probably all the same example. The only lamp iron problem on the production model is that there are two extra spares on the right hand side that shouldn't be there.

Nick

Thanks, Buffalo.  Have yet to see one in the flesh.  If Andy Y still has that example he might see if he can put it back into shape?  It's good to know that you can separate the body from the running plate - makes it easier to fit a speaker in the bunker.

Regarding missing lamp irons, see the bunker on 7202 in last month's BRM.

The "extra" spares are easily dealt with.  Thanks for noticing that.  They should only be on the left side I think.

Mike

I've been contemplating these models closely today, comparing the photos of the model with photos of the real things. The pony truck wheels are the only area of the model that I don't particularly like, and I wonder whether anyone knows where replacements could be sourced from? 

I've been contemplating these models closely today, comparing the photos of the model with photos of the real things. The pony truck wheels are the only area of the model that I don't particularly like, and I wonder whether anyone knows where replacements could be sourced from? 

To give you some idea what the change to Gibson pony truck wheels does here is a picture of my 28xx which has been so fitted.

post-9629-0-88079100-1371581279_thumb.jpg

If the colour looks a bit odd that is because I repainted it in pre 1928 green. The fallen out crosshead was due to not putting it back together carefully enough after repainting and is not a manufacturing problem.

However beware the pony truck mount as it moves back and forth quite a lot so if you fill in the cutouts in the cylinders then the wheels hit the cylinder fronts when the loco is going forwards.  This can cause derailment on points as the pony truck won't turn and the flanges are not enough to force the wheels into the correct alignment. If the cut-outs are left then I doubt there would be any problem. I'm waiting for my 5205 to arrive to find out.

Adrian

Edited by Darwinian
  • Like 4

...However beware the pony truck mount as it moves back and forth quite a lot so if you fill in the cutouts in the cylinders then the wheels hit the cylinder fronts when the loco is going forwards.  This can cause derailment on points as the pony truck won't turn and the flanges are not enough to force the wheels into the correct alignment. If the cut-outs are left then I doubt there would be any problem. I'm waiting for my 5205 to arrive to find out.

The pony trucks on the tanks are very similar to those on the 28XX, though the cutout in the cylinders is much smaller because of the relative position of the wheels.

post-6746-0-62066200-1371583343.jpg

On the left is the 28XXpony truck  with Gibson P4 wheels and on the right that from the 42XX with original Hornby wheels. Behind is a Comet truck that I'll eventually replace both with.

Nick

ps. your 28XX looks much better after a repaint, Adrian. Not just the colour, it goes a long way to reduce the plastic appearance of the Hornby finish.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Did anyone get any in the book for haulage, I wonder?

I did originally put a personal yardstick of 60 No1's (10 ton opens) as a fair representative load.

Pleased to report that we managed 54 + brake, with real ease. General concencus amongst fellow club members was that 60+ would not present a problem.

I should add that the wagons used were generally straight out of the box (Dapol/Bachmann, etc).

In addition, I should add that I have up-rated the loco weight to 300 grammes.

Regards,

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it next week that the next shipment is due to dock? I bit the bullet and ordered a 72xx from Rails so with a bit of luck should have one soon

• RMweb Premium

I see some sites are saying on or after the 1st July 2013 for delivery of the next batch of tanks, does that mean sometime before 30th June 2014? Not very specific; however given the quibbles about QC and the fact that Simon Kohler picked up all the queries and took them back to Hornby one would like to believe that any delays were because they were tightening up QC, I can wait.

• RMweb Gold

I see some sites are saying on or after the 1st July 2013 for delivery of the next batch of tanks, does that mean sometime before 30th June 2014? Not very specific; however given the quibbles about QC and the fact that Simon Kohler picked up all the queries and took them back to Hornby one would like to believe that any delays were because they were tightening up QC, I can wait.

They'll be here when they get here is my attitude - having had them on pre-order with two retailers since January last last, so now up to 18 months, another few months either way is hardly going to matter and my only concern is that they haven't gone glug in the Indian Ocean (which probably would mean 2014 :O ). 

• RMweb Premium

Given they are supposed to arrive in July, he can't have had enough time to do anything. These units have probably been in production for sometime, so I think you will have to reconcile yourself to the fact they are likely to be same standard as those already delivered.  In any case, Hornbys record on amending existing products is not very good, but we can hope that they are picking up on the comments for future models. We can be heartened that Roger Canham does seem to be listening and taking action (ref lower prices thread)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree entirely chaps. Yes it would be too late to do anything drastic, but if QC is improved so that things like all the screws are tight and simple things to remedy it will be positive. There are I sense positive vibes coming out of Hornby which bodes well for the future. I can wait if need be for as long as it takes to get my 72xx

• RMweb Gold

Given they are supposed to arrive in July, he can't have had enough time to do anything. These units have probably been in production for sometime, so I think you will have to reconcile yourself to the fact they are likely to be same standard as those already delivered.  In any case, Hornbys record on amending existing products is not very good, but we can hope that they are picking up on the comments for future models. We can be heartened that Roger Canham does seem to be listening and taking action (ref lower prices thread)

I had a fairly positive reply from Simon Kohler on this springing out of Andy's comments on the other thread.  There are some things which I was after which can't be done and a couple which SK has referred to the design folk to see what can be done - but as sure as Hornby is Hornby they won't be appearing on this year's models (if they can be done at all).

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

The Great Western livery 72xx's are in the country as there's one on ebay so hopefully mine will be here soon.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R3123-2-8-2T-GWR-Great-Western-Class-72xx-Tank-Locomotive-7202-New-Boxed-/360688620266?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item53fab792ea

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1238_1_20627.html

Edited by gwrrob