Heljan 7mm class 42 Warship and more

bagpipes331

Here it is a nice coat of blue. One little boo-boo on my part is choosing D866 as I have since found out that that last little batch of Swindon built Warships had the other style of boiler exhaust/panel. Oh well something to change later when we get a 43 conversion pack sorted.

One thing that has to be sorted is the slight overhang of the body to the valence fit where the screws go in which look like a ripple in the body.

Hi Brian,

Great work as always.

Ripples never seem to scale down and are best left off LOL!

It all look very promising - if the minor tweaks are resolved by Heljan this could be one of the best 7mm RTR diesels ever?!

Can you tell me if Heljan are still using their gear train system for gearing and if there have been any improvements in terms of quality and reliability in this regard?

Thanks for Posting - very inspirational.

Kind regards,

CME

Looks lovely!!! Not too sure but sometimes ripples on a body are prototypical :P I would have loved a glossy example maroon....

Yes superb in maroon, just right for the end of 1960's and early 1970s!

It's got flat motors with a carden shaft drive to a gear tower that runs on a train of gears in the bogie the same as previous models. The splitting gear issue is only on early models where the gears were too tight on the axle. The replacement gears have a less tight hole in them so should not split over time, we hope!

post-6766-0-93450600-1435669706.jpg

Cab interior has a bulge in the bottom unfortunatly to get round the gear tower but it would have been even worse had it had up-right motors. The cab has lights on the rear bulkhead as per the Western. If you don't like them pull the wires out or do as I did on a Western and change them so the rear cab lights up.

post-6766-0-63587100-1435669749.jpg

It's got flat motors with a carden shaft drive to a gear tower that runs on a train of gears in the bogie the same as previous models. The splitting gear issue is only on early models where the gears were too tight on the axle. The replacement gears have a less tight hole in them so should not split over time, we hope!

attachicon.gifwarship9.jpg

Cab interior has a bulge in the bottom unfortunatly to get round the gear tower but it would have been even worse had it had up-right motors. The cab has lights on the rear bulkhead as per the Western. If you don't like them pull the wires out or do as I did on a Western and change them so the rear cab lights up.

attachicon.gifwarship10.jpg

Hi Brian,

Very nice indeed - thanks for taking the time and effort to Post those great photos!

The Cab interior can be disguised and/or as you said the lights re-routed.

Heljan told a few of us that prior to the Cl33s the gear issue had been sorted, then it migrated onto the Cl33's, I must admit that I havent heard of any of the later models failing in this way - but then the modelling press are still, allegedly, blissfully unaware of the problem on the Cl47's Cl33s, Hymeks et al?.

Do you get to arduously test these pre-pro locos Brian - how many hours do Heljan test them for so as to ascertain the reliability of a new model? Do you think that the addition of the new carden shaft arrangement will, with added complexity, be a better or worse way of doing things and thus more or less reliable? 

Thanks again.

Kindest,

CME

Hi Brian. Very nice looking loco even though it is in blue.

Insides looks interesting especially from a DCC sound point of view. Any comments on room for speakers etc.

The 40 involved a change to the norm and this looks like it's changed again.

Thanks Brian

It will take an ESU 40mm speaker in the tanks underneath. You can just make out that under the pcb is a plate to take the ESU chip.

I ran this for about an hour the other day with no ill effects. The class 60 is the same design but with a smaller shaft so it's not visible through the rad area. How long do you test something before you can say it's ok or not?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So if I wanted (on the off chance  ;) ) to run a Warship on a GWR branch based around 1965-1970 would it have been Green or Maroon........does anyone have some online links to a bit of history of these ugly but endearing locos?

Sure it wasn't earlier? My first was D817 at Paddington, I'd have been eleven, so 1963, and it was maroon.

No Jeff, the first one in maroon was D857, released from Swindon on 22/9/65 (the day I was born!). The only maroon locos you'd have seen in '63 would have been Westerns. D817 was released in maroon in September '66.

So if I wanted (on the off chance  ;) ) to run a Warship on a GWR branch based around 1965-1970 would it have been Green or Maroon........does anyone have some online links to a bit of history of these ugly but endearing locos?

Best bet would be to invest £25 in 'Book Of The Warships', it's pretty much the Bible of of all things D600 and D800 shaped.

Boxbrownie, i may be completely off the mark, but i believe BRM (at least i think it was BRM) made a full chart of all warships through their career and the liveries they carried and when they changed from one to another, a little research may bring up what i am referring or a member with better memory may be abke to tell us which issue :)

hope it helps

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Boxbrownie, i may be completely off the mark, but i believe BRM (at least i think it was BRM) made a full chart of all warships through their career and the liveries they carried and when they changed from one to another, a little research may bring up what i am referring or a member with better memory may be abke to tell us which issue :)

hope it helps

Jason

Great info, thanks, found the PDF of the livery timeline and it was from BRM

No Jeff, the first one in maroon was D857, released from Swindon on 22/9/65 (the day I was born!). The only maroon locos you'd have seen in '63 would have been Westerns. D817 was released in maroon in September '66.

Funny how your memory plays tricks isn't it?

I know I was only ten or eleven, as that was the last time I visited my uncle Jack with my parents, and would have sworn 817 was maroon.

• RMweb Premium

Nice size David, envious.

But a bit daunting, starting all over again..........I have so far packed thirteen very large boxes of just my models, some I can hardly lift!

I dare not work out how much in £ there is in them, although I have listed every item in each box..............just in case.

Archived