Heljan 7mm class 42 Warship and more

bagpipes331

My layout is 20x10 so only a tad narrower but it's that four foot that would make the difference to the bottom curve as it goes around to the fiddle yard although all my stock and locos go around with no issues.

As for boxes and values, I carried four Heljan 7mm diesels from the stand to my car at the end of the show Sunday and I was nearly hospitalised. God they are heavy.

• RMweb Premium

My layout is 20x10 so only a tad narrower but it's that four foot that would make the difference to the bottom curve as it goes around to the fiddle yard although all my stock and locos go around with no issues.

As for boxes and values, I carried four Heljan 7mm diesels from the stand to my car at the end of the show Sunday and I was nearly hospitalised. God they are heavy.

That is interesting regarding layout size, I was thinking of an out and back but now I might try for an indoor circuit......hmmm

I have not even given a thought to track plans yet, so much to do beforehand here now!

So if I wanted (on the off chance  ;) ) to run a Warship on a GWR branch based around 1965-1970 would it have been Green or Maroon........does anyone have some online links to a bit of history of these ugly but endearing locos?

Of course within the 1966-70 time-frame there is also the Blue FYE too!

They are heavy and Im now concerned about how/where to store them when they have been detailed and had extra dangly bit put on them - I was wondering about having one or two in the front room in our display cabinet, yet I fear that they will bow the shelves!

When building Down Ampney's boards, I have to keep reminding the others just how heavy the Heljans are - they are, in some instances, heavier than Dad's live steamers!

ATVB

CME

Although the room is 10ft wide the actual available space for the track is considerably less due to the width of the track, space either side of the track for clearances etc. and other clutter in the room. My layout is reduced to a radius of 40'' but I don't have any problems with running big diesels or steam locos including Brits and Black 5's.

As for the weight of Heljan locos, each one is heading north of 3kg so a shelve needs good support to store them. I have shelves holding 6 to 8 locos but they are heavy duty wall rails, well and truly fixed to the wall and good quality shelving boards. 

My steam fleet is a lot lighter with the being brass against the cast iron and brick for the Heljan locos. The Heljan locos are superb runners though.

And as for having too much dosh to spend on my toys, quite right. I don't do poor. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Haha, not sure I could gamble a shelf would hold up to half a dozen Heljans, two of my moving boxes (Aldi recently did "140 litre plastic roller storage boxes" and we bought the whole of our local store's supply of 12 as they are ideal for heavy items for our move, but a couple of these boxes have now got roughly five or six Heljans in each, they are the moving boxes I can hardly lift!

I am so pleased we have payed for professional movers!

Although the room is 10ft wide the actual available space for the track is considerably less due to the width of the track, space either side of the track for clearances etc. and other clutter in the room. My layout is reduced to a radius of 40'' but I don't have any problems with running big diesels or steam locos including Brits and Black 5's.

As for the weight of Heljan locos, each one is heading north of 3kg so a shelve needs good support to store them. I have shelves holding 6 to 8 locos but they are heavy duty wall rails, well and truly fixed to the wall and good quality shelving boards. 

My steam fleet is a lot lighter with the being brass against the cast iron and brick for the Heljan locos. The Heljan locos are superb runners though.

And as for having too much dosh to spend on my toys, quite right. I don't do poor. :jester:

Hi TTG,

Lucky you!

Any chance of a photo of the type of shelving that you use at all please - it would be helpful.

Also, I was wondering, how does one keep the motors in good condition, ie free from humidity etc - can the models be stored almost anywhere in the house/loft/garage?

Thanks in anticpation.

ATVB

CME

Quick snap using my iPhone as I hurtle in and out of the railway room to show the shelves with my back up loco fleet, not in use on the layout at the moment.

As for storage, mine only ever get stored inside my house in the railway room. But like others have found, they run very well outside and can handle some fantastic loads.

post-6682-0-81940800-1442161127.jpg

Dust is a problem and using the room that has the layout in as my railway workshop as well it's difficult to keep the stuff under control.

Yes, the weight on the wall mounts is quite high but big long screws and good rawl plugs seemed to have worked well.

Quick snap using my iPhone as I hurtle in and out of the railway room to show the shelves with my back up loco fleet, not in use on the layout at the moment.

As for storage, mine only ever get stored inside my house in the railway room. But like others have found, they run very well outside and can handle some fantastic loads.

You are a lucky man! :yes:

Thanks for Posting - do you have a name/brand for the shelving type please? :imsohappy:

Kindest,

CME

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now just to get your juices flowing I have today seen pictures of the first sample of the 4 character headcode 37 and it does look very nice. I will be picking it up on Saturday to test it round the garden and then paint it so watch this space for pictures.

It has been mentioned somewhere if Heljan will be doing a large logo version of these. I believe this to be true and that to get over the lack of a cut away bufferbeam that they will adopt the same as Tower did with their limited edition repaints on the split headcode 37's and paint the cut away area black. Whilst not ideal it will give the modeller a line to cut round if they so wish to remove the cowling and make a proper cut away.

Here it is then.

It has had the tanks narrowed, front and rear stretchers added to bogie sideframes, wire airpipes for brake cylinders(unfortunatly not done), finer wheels than split headcode 37, cab rear bulkheads detailed and bulge reduced, roof ribs removed, radiator roof fan frame finer and enlarged,metal  western style side lampbrackets included, steam heat pipe enlarged as per later models, new MU jumper cable to get over snow ploughs if fitted.

post-6766-0-49881400-1459621399.jpg

post-6766-0-62357900-1459621401_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-97777100-1459621402.jpg

post-6766-0-96957600-1459621403.jpg

post-6766-0-36651500-1459621405.jpg

post-6766-0-82928000-1459621406.jpg

post-6766-0-32448200-1459621408.jpg

post-6766-0-36711900-1459621409.jpg

...and there was I, thinking the price of O Scale prevents Impulse Buying... :O

Well it does me, anyway :( ...

The 37 looks excellent Brian. Look forward to seeing it with some paint on it!

Is the bufferbeam complete behind the skirts? just wondering as If I invest in one it would have to be modified to be one without skirts.

Al.

Looks great Brian thanks for posting, I shall carve off the moulded pipe and add some wire. Got to have something to do!! Any chance you could post s picture of the Heljan ploughs? I have an etch set of ploughs from JLTRT made up that I might use on mine

Archived