NRM Exclusive Edition - 47798 'Prince William'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Beats buying a celebratory china mug to celebrate the event,anyway..... a novel way of the custom of 'wetting the baby's head'.An 'investment' for my grandson .....that's my 'excuse'.Now,where's that Coronation mug  and set of Royal Mint coins....circa 1953 ? Be daft to pass on this one,would it not ?

• RMweb Premium

Bother - the yellow on the nose should not run onto the area below the window, it should stop on the curve from the 'flat' front to the raked front.

Pitty these are not pre-production images whereby corrections can be made. Silly error.

Interestingly it would be correct on 47799, where the yellow did go round the curve and along the top 'ledge' of the nose.

Also RCH jumper should be a dfferent shape to a normal 47/7, th bottom bracket being angled not straight. But given this would necessitate a one off tool, that can be forgiven.

Livery slip less so...

I wonder how easy it will be to match the claret paint.

It may be wrong for the livery it carries now (I've no idea), but weren't 47798 and 47799 originally painted into this colour scheme together, so presumably at that time both were the same?

Hm, seems to be a minefield. OK so its NOT correct for the loco as it is now

This picture from 2002 seems to suggest the yellow carrying over to the ledge

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64161715@N08/7426945204/in/photolist-cji34o-dEQFK7-bUpJgn-cji3MA-6ExPU1-9pK2hG-anhV7p-5HdhdT-aLAqsV-bYiCeS-9wv4Tt-7Gcx37-7Hs7Q9-boQGz2-cFzrQY-eR7D-5QfNzo-bX6AwN-9BuLAv-9BxEZm-9BuKRz-9BxCry-9BxyDs-78GKT6-awqe8X-dcgBpS-caoRUu-9nM5B7-caoS1j-axF8h8-axHRaW-axF8vP-axHR83-axF8k6-axF8ok-axF8yH-axF8r6-axHQYC-9r4fhw-6mAx1r-bAUdSk-c8canf-ameeqc-91gnct-5DHPXa-91jtys-91gjW8-91jta3-91juom-91jsT1-916SRi

As does this, also with black background plates, and the 'by royal appointment' plate, which seems to have been added in 2002.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55879910@N02/6136139061/in/photolist-amejn4-amgNpN-dEKhT2-cji34o-dEQFK7-bUpJgn-cji3MA-6ExPU1-9pK2hG-anhV7p-5HdhdT-aLAqsV-bYiCeS-9wv4Tt-7Gcx37-7Hs7Q9-boQGz2-cFzrQY-eR7D-5QfNzo-bX6AwN-9BuLAv-9BxEZm-9BuKRz-9BxCry-9BxyDs-78GKT6-awqe8X-dcgBpS-caoRUu-9nM5B7-caoS1j-axF8h8-axHRaW-axF8vP-axHR83-axF8k6-axF8ok-axF8yH-axF8r6-axHQYC-9r4fhw-6mAx1r-bAUdSk-c8canf-ameeqc-91gnct-5DHPXa-91jtys-91gjW8-91jta3

and this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16749798@N08/3091799323/in/photolist-5HdhdT-aLAqsV-bYiCeS-9wv4Tt-7Gcx37-7Hs7Q9-boQGz2-cFzrQY-eR7D-5QfNzo-bX6AwN-9BuLAv-9BxEZm-9BuKRz-9BxCry-9BxyDs-78GKT6-awqe8X-dcgBpS-caoRUu-9nM5B7-caoS1j-axF8h8-axHRaW-axF8vP-axHR83-axF8k6-axF8ok-axF8yH-axF8r6-axHQYC-9r4fhw-6mAx1r-bAUdSk-c8canf-ameeqc-91gnct-5DHPXa-91jtys-91gjW8-91jta3-91juom-91jsT1-916SRi-91ju9h-8gAVoY-91jwMY-ctkRXf-8BVRZE-8BVSwQ-9pXe7g

And this from 2003

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63924222@N06/7010553653/in/photolist-bFuVmH-9HB9hX-9rmJQU-9nYD8k-9obSaJ

The later three pics seems to match the model.

Sorry, I take back what I said!

So it would seem the model is correct for the engine's service life in that livery, but that the repaint prior to handover at Railfest in 2004 resulted in some detailed differences. Thanks for hauling me up.

Just ordered!

I'm around 100 on the list, not bad going in three days!

Won't be repeated - ever was the message I got.

A real shame as its  popular loco, and the NRM could shift lots more over time, especially as the Bachmann 47/8 is the ultimate rendition thus far.

• RMweb Gold

And Shildon are really getting their marketing act together - I received a promotional 'flyer' in the post today so they're clearly using somebody else's address list (presumably NRM York) to reach a wider audience and are prepared to spend 33p per addressee on postage in order to do so; score 100% for marketing.

This looks like a great model, I wont be clogging up the waiting list as I did both Royal 47's a few years ago

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

That's me done showing off, I'll get my coat now ........................TAXI 

Keep them both, get the etched Name Plates, Numbers, EWS beasties and "By Appointment...." plaques from Fox Transfers and then you have both Princes William and Henry and as the etched numbers will cover the transfers on the original model this will be the simplest renumbering job ever and they will look so much better than with just transfers   :sungum:  :locomotive:

I had thought of doing that but don't they differ slightly? I think looking from pictures that Prince Henry is flush at one end and Prince William isn't. Not sure if there are other differences too.

That is true as Prince Henry was involved in an accident in an earlier life, it all depends how far you want to go. I personally am happy to make a few compromises especially those  that 99% of people will never notice. The Bachmann tanks on the 47/7c are not particularly good so on mine they were replaced with Heljan ones with additional pipe work added. This I thought was more important on these particular locos as they were nearly always in pristine condition with the pipe work painted and is therefore a more recognisable feature.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spet0114

Pre-bought mine via the Locomotion models website last night. Seemed to go through OK, so presumably a few are still left....if you're quick!

Cheers!
Adrian

Just had this e-mail 

'Hi

Thank you to those of you who purchased the Class 47 Prince William on our 'Early Bird' offer.

I thought you might appreciate an update on progress.

This model has been incredibly popular.  We are expecting them to arrive in the UK this week as the container ship has already arrived in Europe, so customs permitting, we hope to be posting them out to you as quickly as we possibly can from the middle of next week!

At that time the 'Early Bird' offer on this model will end so if you know of anyone who has not ordered yet, time is short before our standard price will be applied.

We hope you will be delighted with our latest Exclusive Edition model from the NRM.

Look out for another exciting announcement later this month!

Best wishes

The locomotionmodels.com team.

Locomotion
National Railway Museum at Shildon
Co Durham
DL4 1PQ
01388 771439
www.locomotionmodels.com'

Keep them both, get the etched Name Plates, Numbers, EWS beasties and "By Appointment...." plaques from Fox Transfers and then you have both Princes William and Henry and as the etched numbers will cover the transfers on the original model this will be the simplest renumbering job ever and they will look so much better than with just transfers   :sungum:  :locomotive:

Highly unlikely that anything featuring an EWS 'Beastie' or logo will be available from Fox, as they no longer hold a license to sell/reproduce anything EWS or/and DB Schenker related.

:(

• RMweb Premium

Highly unlikely that anything featuring an EWS 'Beastie' or logo will be available from Fox, as they no longer hold a license to sell/reproduce anything EWS or/and DB Schenker related.

:(

That would explain why my fret of nameplate components appears to have two bits missing!!

post-6910-0-71151100-1372938489_thumb.jpg

:no2:  :resent:  :mad:

Am new to posting but I think I've got the hang of it now!  Ordered my Class 47 from Shildon museum shop today.. they are due in tomorrow so should get it by the weekend.   apparently the price goes up tomorrow afternoon!.  Talking to the lady in the shop they do all the model sales now for NRM york.  There's a link on the website at york (small but at the bottom) that takes you to www.locomotionmodels.com. It's Shildon's online shop -  nice if you're looking for something seemingly sold out elsewhere.

I had thought of doing that but don't they differ slightly? I think looking from pictures that Prince Henry is flush at one end and Prince William isn't. Not sure if there are other differences too.

47799 had a flush front at No2 end and has kept it's bufferbeam cowling. 47798 had it's cowling removed from day one in that livery. So to model 799 correctly you'd need to source another model to repaint. (unless someone makes it as a ltd edtn of course)!! Think Bachmann have the suitable tooling variant.

They certainly do have suitable tooling, and indeed produced 47835 (as 47799 was when working for intercity) as a limited edition a few years ago. I understand replacement bodies were produced due to livery errors, with the incorrect grey-bottomed bodies being sold off and possibly still available on ebay and other sources.

From what I was told when ordering, I wouldn't put it past the NRM to commission Harry based on how Wills has sold. However clearly this will have the incorrectly sized marker lights, unless the NRM are prepared to pay (or persuade!) Bachmann to correct the tooling (come on NRM you'll be doing the hobby a favour!) Whilst about it, they could correct the too-deep buffer-beam cowl...

I think the model is marketed as the national collection in miniature. Is the other royal loco in the collection? I suspect if not it is more likely to be done by the collectors club.

Mark

Yes but the NRM have been known to model non-NRM locos - recall the Robinson O4 in Great Central Livery that was not numbered as 102 (which was 63601s GCR number). From what was said to me on the phone, such is the demand for 47798 that 47799 would be considered to match. 47799 is preserved on the Eden Valley Railway.

Mine just landed, very nice model indeed. Glad I upgraded from the Heljan one I had. After the usual detailing/weathering treatment it'll look spot on  :yes:

I bought a set of Shawplan nameplates to include all the badges and crests etc, can't really expect Bachmann to include a 12 part set in the price. 

Recommended anyway.

Archived