Bachmann New Arrivals

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Premium

They are the same quality as the earlier Maunsell coaches and show no evidence of the no frills design philosophy of recent Hornby offerings. 

Not quite, the new SO / TO has moulded on roof vents like the 2BIL and contrary to the earlier Maunsell coach designs where they were separately fitted detail

• RMweb Premium

Not quite, the new SO / TO has moulded on roof vents like the 2BIL and contrary to the earlier Maunsell coach designs where they were separately fitted detail

What is more important for comparative purposes, surely, is whether the SO/TO has the same roof (moulded vents or not) as the SO in the pull-push sets. Shouldn't they be the same? As far as we know the PP sets were produced in the former Sanda Kan factory so it makes sense if the "unconverted" versions were made there too. But even if not, surely the new factory would not start again with new tooling.

As to the "due in the next 60 days", the brute trolleys and two types of platform lamps have just arrived in shops but were never shown as arriving in the next 60 days. I have always taken the last 30/next 60 information with a pinch of salt as more almost always arrives than indicated. The product lists are usually a better guide.

• RMweb Gold

I cannot yet confirm the roof moulding is identical, as I cannot access my pull-push set at this moment. However, my views on this model are heavily swayed by the thoughts of Larry Goddard (Coachmann) elsewhere on RMweb today. As one of UK's leading 4mm coach-builders and -painters over several decades, when he says Hornby should be proud of it, I'm inclined to listen.

EDIT : Having now dug out the pull-push conversion, yes they are the same vehicle, with the obvious addition of a gangway connection at the other end. Thinking about the two, I am minded to wonder why the pull-push vehicle, which had the lavatories out of use, and their windows plated over, retained the tank-fillers at each end - as prototype photos show they did. Never mind.

I notice from the Bachmann website that the Stanier Porthole stock expected June/July now has no months against them.

Just wonder when they will appear, will it be another class 40 scenario ?

Have Bachmann had some problems with them ?

I notice from the Bachmann website that the Stanier Porthole stock expected June/July now has no months against them.

Just wonder when they will appear, will it be another class 40 scenario ?

Have Bachmann had some problems with them ?

Spoke to Bachmann at the Bristol Show - I was told yes they had  a problem with them and wanted to get them right - so the delay. Wish they'd taken the same attitude to the V2 

Archived