Freemo Extravaganza

• RMweb Gold

With butties in one hand, pints in the other, & occasionally having to decide which one to put down so they can operate a train, I'm not expecting many pictures.... ;)

Who Mentioned beer!!!

Right, we are off to the pub!

I really enjoyed the visit to see the modules in action this afternoon; a great crowd and some excellent modelling. I really get the concept and I can see the enjoyment in the operational side of the project. What struck me was how well everything looked together with quite consistent standards and appearance. Well done all; hope you enjoy the weekend together!

F1s.jpg

F2s.jpg

F3s.jpg

F4s.jpg

F5s.jpg

F6s.jpg

I really enjoyed the visit to see the modules in action this afternoon; a great crowd and some excellent modelling. I really get the concept and I can see the enjoyment in the operational side of the project. What struck me was how well everything looked together with quite consistent standards and appearance. Well done all; hope you enjoy the weekend together!

But the real question is, can the same be done with a British prototype...?

But the real question is, can the same be done with a British prototype...?

I neglected to mention that idea in this topic just in case anyone derails this one but it's worthy of discussion in another one. If it could be done as well as you did it would certainly be worthwhile!

• RMweb Gold

Well we've all just returned to the hotel after the evening session :) Trains were tied down while takeaways were consumed.

Thanks to Nick, Martyn and Peter for the organising and the ladies for manning the kitchen. To Neil & Mel the build supervisors also.

It's been a relaxing, but tiring on the legs day :)

Lots of photos to upload once they're sorted, probably Monday.

My journey back was a lot better than the one there, got to see a 31, 20 and 73 parked next to each other at Derby and was back in time to put the kids to bed. Thanks to Nick, Martin et al for organising, the food suppliers and especially PaulRhB for lending me his controller for so much of the day. I had a great time

14601048943_09e1a9fe2f.jpgOldies at Derby by ta||tim, on Flickr

Thoroughly enjoyable day. In fact the most intellectually demanding activity I have engaged in for some time!. Drunk far more coffee than I normally do, so will probably be hyper-active for the next twenty-four hours. Can't recall the last time I was active, let alone hyper. As has been mentioned - tiring on the legs, but my sciatica is better than it has been for some time  :good:

• RMweb Gold

Paul, tip for next time (or tomorrow if there's a branch nearby): IKEA do a series of bar stools,

;) Plenty of chairs there but as Tim can confirm there's a lot of walking to get around all the peninsulas. Considering Tim and I had never met let alone done this before with switch lists we didn't seem to make any mistakes, we'll none we or anyone else spotted and had a lot of fun. I think having the wifi throttle saved us from a fair bit of distraction the others were having finding plugs.

The voices are suggesting plans for yards and engine terminals or extending Sunnydale ;)

All set up and working

All set up and working

Look at the photo in Ian's post - how did Mike (Fort Myers) manage to appear twice - on the far left and on the far right? (photo not politically!)

Must be Florida vodoo...

Seriously though - I must echo what everybody else has said. I haven't had so  much fun since I can't remember.

Thanks to everybody who has contributed and here's to another fun packed day.

And guess what - there have already been discussions about the next one!

• RMweb Gold

69 they added another at the end Sam said ;)

Great weekend and home in two hours less than getting there so thanks again everyone who organised, catered for us and brought bits.

What weekend next year ? :)

I know I'm free the 18-19th and definitely not free the 11-12.

• RMweb Gold

Not as good for us with hold ups on M40 and a few on M25 but have had worse.

Layout now unloaded.

I think Nick was saying late Sepember next year.

Thanks a Nick Martyn Peter etc. and the ladies looking after the catering side. Wonderful organisation all round.

69 they added another at the end Sam said ;)

Great weekend and home in two hours less than getting there so thanks again everyone who organised, catered for us and brought bits.

What weekend next year ? :)

I know I'm free the 18-19th and definitely not free the 11-12.

Provisionally 26-27 Sept.

I'm pleased everybody enjoyed it. It was a pleasure to be involved and to make many new friends and to see many old friends.

From my perspective it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I have never spent so much time in the company of like minded enthusiasts just playing trains and chatting for our own enjoyment. Unlike a public show, there was no pressure; everything was so relaxed and laid back.

It took about 3 hours to get everything set up and, amazingly, it all worked pretty well. I say that based on the fact that we had a whole load of modules which had never been strung together before. I had some concerns about my own as they were being used for real for the first time but my concerns were not necessary. That is for the benefit of anybody who might have felt tempted to join in but had similar fears. Give it a go - Mel Rogers (in charge of the layout build) has the skill and experience to make sure everything fits together whilst Neil Rogers is the wizard with the electrics and can overcome any problems on that front.

Martyn devised a very interesting and in some places challenging layout design and used the JMRI car forwarding system very effectively.

We had a lot of space still to fill so there is plenty of room for more modules next year. The request is for more curves and at least one other yard.

I hope everybody had a safe journey home and I will certainly be looking forward to next year's event.

Oh, and how could I forget with her sitting beside me to say thanks to my wife Liz and Mel's wife Yvonne for the sterling work they did in the catering department over the two days.

Well done everybody!

Archived