Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

I should have googled up Matra like this  (Plus a whole lot of pics here) before I exposed my old fRts increasingly defective memory.

I was wrong about Matra being linked with Alpine - Wiki claims Matra's cars emerged from a takeover of Bonnet from the former DB firm that made the Le Mans

Index winning flimsy looking 750cc DB Panhards.

The Djet Renault was the Matra I confused with Alpine Renault.

I forgotten about Matra's Gitane bleu liveried minimalist Le Mans winner as well as its F1 cars - Horsetan's Matra Simca is there too.

dh

Just had a fantastic day at Prescott Hill Climb, glorious weather, the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway chugging past the bottom of the car-park, and some fantastic finds. It’s a great place to find all sorts of stuff on the Hill, in the Paddock, and even just lying around in the car-park, such as this immaculate 1958 D type Jag (Probably a Lynx replica?), just driven there and left lying around!

attachicon.gifDSCF6632.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6633.JPG

A very nice Bristol 405

attachicon.gifDSCF6634.JPG

An original AC Cobra

attachicon.gifDSCF6635.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6636.JPG

One of several Citroen’s (It was a French themed day)

attachicon.gifDSCF6637.JPG

And a Healey 3000

attachicon.gifDSCF6638.JPG

Inside it just got better and better

With Morgans

attachicon.gifDSCF6639.JPG

A Brace of BMW's

attachicon.gifDSCF6640.JPG

an Austin 7 Ulster and a lot of Bugatti's

attachicon.gifDSCF6642.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6643.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6646.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6644.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6666.JPG

An Alfa or two

attachicon.gifDSCF6645.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6662.JPG

A Darracq(?) and a 1904 Mors

attachicon.gifDSCF6647.JPG

A trio of Hotchkiss's

attachicon.gifDSCF6648.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6650.JPG

Renaults

attachicon.gifDSCF6651.JPG

Citroen's

attachicon.gifDSCF6667.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6669.JPG

A Pickard Pictet

attachicon.gifDSCF6652.JPG

A Delahaye

attachicon.gifDSCF6655.JPG

Darracq

attachicon.gifDSCF6656.JPG

An Amilcar

attachicon.gifDSCF6657.JPG

Particularly gorgeous Ferrari's

attachicon.gifDSCF6658.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6659.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6672.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6673.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6674.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6675.JPG

More Panhards than I thought existed

attachicon.gifDSCF6668.JPG

With some particularly outlandish machinery

attachicon.gifDSCF6653.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6654.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6670.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6671.JPG

It just went on an on, but fortunately the batteries ran out, so I could just get on and breathe the Castrol R and watch folks throwing millions of quid’s worth of cars around for fun. The beauty of these events is that you can get up very close and personal with the cars.

attachicon.gifDSCF6660.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF6661.JPG

I Nearly came away with a Bug of my own, but hadn't Got a spare £990k in my back pocket.

attachicon.gifDSCF6663.JPG

All in all £20.00 well spent. (Only I got in free as a Guest, even better)

Peter

You'd like to think that they had a proud history of refusing to let Jeremy Clarkson in the gate, and had just repeated the courtesy to Chris Evans..

post-26366-0-01929300-1464711937.jpg

OK any idea what the car on the left is please? - Bit of an argument on another forum! What consensus there is suggests it may be American. It is part of a much larger, but poor quality photo, so I cannot enlarge it further without a large drop in quality.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifa200.jpg

OK any idea what the car on the left is please? - Bit of an argument on another forum! What consensus there is suggests it may be American. It is part of a much larger, but poor quality photo, so I cannot enlarge it further without a large drop in quality.

Borgward Isobella?

attachicon.gifa200.jpg

Vauhall Velox EIP? - About halfway down the page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Velox

Peter

Thanks for the suggestions. The Borgward is an interesting idea, but the shape is wrong, and the chrome waist strip too short. Definitely not the Vauxhall - here is a direct comparison

post-26366-0-27744300-1464724492.jpeg

We are looking at quite a large car. Also considered larger Rootes Group cars like Humbers, but not close enough to be those either.

Edited by Echo

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday we were invited to view a local private collection of cars, by the vicar oddly - oddly as we're atheists, but he's a friend!  The cars mostly have some kind of a flying woman on the grille.....   This is just a few hundred yards from us, but very discrete.  You'll see why!

post-10195-0-05698900-1464727613_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-83662400-1464727633_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-55153700-1464727653_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-69201800-1464727674_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-84210100-1464727696_thumb.jpg

Previous owner of this car was Adnan Kashoggi!

post-10195-0-77480500-1464727721_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-03502500-1464727742_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-67664700-1464727766_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-40343000-1464727788_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions. The Borgward is an interesting idea, but the shape is wrong, and the chrome waist strip too short. Definitely not the Vauxhall - here is a direct comparison

attachicon.gifgdd.jpeg

We are looking at quite a large car. Also considered larger Rootes Group cars like Humbers, but not close enough to be those either.

Definitely American looking. The chrome strip on the rear fender was a feature of Fords of the late 40's but I don't think its a Ford but perhaps something from the same stable, Mercury perhaps?

attachicon.gifa200.jpg

Regarding other suggestions, the Hillman Minx has far too short a bonnet, though the general styling is similar (Rootes were notorious for copying American styling even before the Chrysler takeover). As for Peugeot, I haven't found anything similar. Their large saloons of the early 1950s had no boot like that, as far as I can see.

American would be my best bet, but I can't find anything quite like it.

attachicon.gifplymouth.jpg

Early 50s Chevvy?

or a Russian rip off?

Ed

Nah, neether of the above,

I remember now, Cuba's favourite taxi, it's a foul smelling diesel Plymouth

Agree that is looks more like a Chrysler product, pre 1950. With the long name, could well be a Plymouth but with this picture, it would be hard to be sure. Doesn't appear to have a rear door handle so a cheaper two door club coupe. Lots of guesses!

Brian.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I've only ever seen the Matra name in conjunction with Matra Simca, on the Bagheera and the Rancho "not a 4WD". The latter's equivalent today would probably be something like the Skoda Yeti.

I really rated the Rancho when it first came out. Lots of space, 4x4 type clearance and based on the Simca 1100 which was a pretty good car for its time. I wanted one.

And then I went in 1981 to work for a firm that had one as the office pool car. Right up there as one of the worst cars that I have ever driven.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Were Alpine anything to do with Matra or quite separate? M was the French aerospace maverick who once ran a F1 team and marketed that three abreast centre-drive coupe.

Matra also developed the original big Espace that the Regie decided to badge as a Renault.

dh

The Bagheera had three seats (for thin people) but was lhd not centre. Sold in quite large numbers. Was succeeded by the rather nicer looking Murena.

I really rated the Rancho when it first came out. Lots of space, 4x4 type clearance and based on the Simca 1100 which was a pretty good car for its time. I wanted one.

And then I went in 1981 to work for a firm that had one as the office pool car. Right up there as one of the worst cars that I have ever driven.

Worse than an Allegro?

The Rancho was an example of a concept before its time. The so called "crossover", looks like a 4X4 but isn't. When the Chelsea yummy mummies started to drive Range Rovers, etc. to establish their weekend in the country credentials, the car marketers saw an opportunity to produce something for the masses. Qashgi anyone?

• Like 1

Worse than an Allegro?

The Rancho was an example of a concept before its time. The so called "crossover", looks like a 4X4 but isn't. When the Chelsea yummy mummies started to drive Range Rovers, etc. to establish their weekend in the country credentials, the car marketers saw an opportunity to produce something for the masses. Qashgi anyone?

Camping 'sauvage' in Herault, around the time the Rancho came out, it was amusing to see drivers (mainly Parisians) who actually believed you could take them to places only a 4x4 could go. At the time, there wasn't much competion for the 4x4 market, ersatz or real; there was the Landy, very popular in the 8me arrondisement, and the Range Rover, and not a lot else.

Worse than an Allegro?

I quite liked my Allegro. It was very comfy, and came with a round (but rather small) steering wheel. It was quite fast too, but having to double de-clutch to change between some gears rather let it down. Cornering wasn't brilliant either, but at least with a 1750 engine I could make up for that by putting my foot down on the straight bits!

• Like 1