RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Still searching for a particular photo! found these Brighton Speed Trials in the sixties

Sydney Allard's Dragster

post-13586-0-40569200-1532708031_thumb.jpg

George Brown's Super Nero

post-13586-0-62436100-1532708118_thumb.jpg

And I can't remember or verify what this is but I do recall the commentator saying it wouldn't win the sprint but would be well over 100mph when it crossed the line, not bad for a 1/4 mile!

post-13586-0-38369700-1532708288_thumb.jpg

All taken on the return run as I had trouble panning my Ilford sportsman!

• Like 14

Still searching for a particular photo! found these Brighton Speed Trials in the sixties

Sydney Allard's Dragster

attachicon.gifSydney Allard's Dragster 001 (2).jpg

George Brown's Super Nero

attachicon.gifGeorge Brown Super Nero 001 (2).jpg

And I can't remember or verify what this is but I do recall the commentator saying it wouldn't win the sprint but would be well over 100mph when it crossed the line, not bad for a 1/4 mile!

attachicon.gifBrighton Speed Trials 001 (2).jpg

All taken on the return run as I had trouble panning my Ilford sportsman!

I note the absence of helmets?   Just the job.....   :)

• Like 2

Spotted outside the local Wetherspoons recently - I'm not great on the minutiae of Porsche 911s in all their variations, but I'm sure most of you clever folk will know exactly what it is (unusual colour, certainly):

post-6742-0-52867500-1532768628_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Also spotted recently, something a lot newer, but which would probably count as old(fashioned) in most eyes. Surely one of the last Reliant Robins produced?

post-6742-0-08518200-1532768902_thumb.jpg

Oh, and next time I hear someone say "Robin Reliant", what should I do? Petition to bring back public flogging, or simply tell them how much I like their Fiesta Ford?

Funnily, I realised that that Reliant, despite belonging to another era, is actually the same age as my own car (from which the above photo was taken - from a stationary position, I must emphasise). I tend to think of my own vehicle as being modern, despite the fact that it and the Robin above are both nearly 17 years old. Just for fun, I then took a picture of my own 51-reg's dashboard, and no money whatsoever is on offer to anyone who can identify it:

post-6742-0-93002100-1532769231_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Spotted outside the local Wetherspoons recently - I'm not great on the minutiae of Porsche 911s in all their variations, but I'm sure most of you clever folk will know exactly what it is (unusual colour, certainly):

attachicon.gifIMG_20180623_205641.jpg

That'll be a mid '80s onwards job Steve, they didn't do a factory convertible 911 until long after the impact bumpers appeared for the '74 model year. Not sure what the colour is called but I think it suits it - it certainly makes a change from yuppie white or guards red  ;)

• Like 1

One week after the full charge, having sat with no load, this is the result:

post-6879-0-16987400-1532785874_thumb.jpg

0.7v loss without doing anything. I'd say NHN had it right when he said the battery was probably fecked.

About £65 for the Exide replacement which at 175mm, now I have measured the old battery, might be marginally too wide for the battery tray....

s-l500.jpg

Think I'll have a beer now.

estrella-damm-beer-24-units.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 4

Might the old battery do for powering air pumps and stuffs? :)

Why, have you got a few?

I've taken some soundings from the Autosh*te forum as well, and opinion varies. Some think the fall off to 12.7v is normal, others think you can't really tell without subjecting to a load test, so it looks like I'll have to buy or borrow a load tester.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Anyone with a penchant for GRP (and metal) based Mini offshoots should have a look at the 'Maximim Minis' series of books by Jeroen Booij, there were enough variations to fill three books... 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1787111180/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Always fancied a Mini Marcos, back in the '70s a neighbour had one with a fur headlining and corduroy covered bucket seats. Remarkably, a Marcos won its class in the '67 Le Mans 24hours!

attachicon.gifmarcos-02.jpg

Jeroen Booij also has a 'Maximum Minis' blog which is always worth a look, for regular updates both on recent oddball Mini discoveries, and progress on his own project- He's restoring the actual Le Mans Marcos, which he tracked down a couple of years ago, as little more than a bare bodyshell.- I'm just slightly envious! There's quite a bit of detailed analysis of the shell of the Le Mans car, to confirm it's identity and the changes made through it's history which is fascinating if you share my addiction to old racing cars...

http://maximummini.blogspot.com/

(Sorry, more Minis!  :onthequiet: )

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 4

Jeroen Booij also has a 'Maximum Minis' blog which is always worth a look, for regular updates both on recent oddball Mini discoveries, and progress on his own project- He's restoring the actual Le Mans Marcos, which he tracked down a couple of years ago, as little more than a bare bodyshell.- I'm just slightly envious! There's quite a bit of detailed analysis of the shell of the Le Mans car, to confirm it's identity and the changes made through it's history which is fascinating if you share my addiction to old racing cars...

http://maximummini.blogspot.com/

(Sorry, more Minis!  :onthequiet: )

iirc were these made in Greenfield  Saddleworth for  a time remember coming across some moulds and shells lurking behind a large garage /workshop being used to store buses ?

• Like 2

Also spotted recently, something a lot newer, but which would probably count as old(fashioned) in most eyes. Surely one of the last Reliant Robins produced?

attachicon.gifIMG_20180707_095257.jpg

Oh, and next time I hear someone say "Robin Reliant", what should I do? Petition to bring back public flogging, or simply tell them how much I like their Fiesta Ford?

Funnily, I realised that that Reliant, despite belonging to another era, is actually the same age as my own car (from which the above photo was taken - from a stationary position, I must emphasise). I tend to think of my own vehicle as being modern, despite the fact that it and the Robin above are both nearly 17 years old. Just for fun, I then took a picture of my own 51-reg's dashboard, and no money whatsoever is on offer to anyone who can identify it:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180707_100005.jpg

Toyota MR2 Mk3 pre-facelift. If I'm right can I ask you a few questions about the car, I'm thinking of buying one.

Edited by Anglian

Why, have you got a few?

I do have air pumps, and fluid pumps, and the odd 12 volt worklight....quite handy having a 'redundant' 12 volt battery hanging around the workshop [aka, field]....even been of use to a neighbour with a 24 volt land rover, who had battery problems....I  charge it up occasionally, when I remember, Otherwise, I am relying on the batteries in my vehicles.....which involves a lot more messing about.  Given that a scrap battery doesn't fetch much nowadays, it has greater value as a portable power source...even if it's no longer useful/trustworthy in a motor car.

Please forgive an Old F@rt's lack of IT skills, but can gov.uk retrieve inf. on every reg ever issued?       Or only because UU # # # # still exists?

dh

If the vehicle is still on the DVLA records, then its status, tax-wise [and MoT-wise], can be looked up...including basic details [as per V5c]

If the vehicle has been scrapped [or similar] then it  won't be on record any more.

I sometimes look up any registrations that I can identify  from the old photos that appear on here, and elsewhere........sometimes one finds a vehicle that still exists.....

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

Above is the link....follow the information.....albeit, that information will only be as accurate as the V5c...

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Please forgive an Old F@rt's lack of IT skills, but can gov.uk retrieve inf. on every reg ever issued?       Or only because UU # # # # still exists?

dh

In a word, No. Vehicle registrations used to be issued by county councils, cities and some large towns using letters allocated by the Ministry of Transport. A few of those authorities kept those records but most disposed of them only a few being 'rescued'. Those older vehicles that were still in the system were retained as the vehicle was still registered.

It will be, but the general public can't access it via Gov.UK

Surely that would only apply to vehicles that made it onto the digital records in the first instance?

Those scrapped before the V5 came into being [iE, still using old card log book] won't be on DVLA's records...[especially if Local Authority records were lost or destroyed?]

Edited by alastairq

• RMweb Premium

Surely that would only apply to vehicles that made it onto the digital records in the first instance?

Those scrapped before the V5 came into being [iE, still using old card log book] won't be on DVLA's records...[especially if Local Authority records were lost or destroyed?]

True, there is a booklet 'How to trace the history of your car' by Philip Riden that lists registers and if they are extant, most regretably are listed as destroyed. There are other sources of information however, London Transport and the GPO kept their own records intact and almost every vehicle owned/operated by those organisations is recorded. Another useful publication is Glass's index of registration numbers 1929-1965 from which you can find the year of registration and sometimes even the month of that year.