RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On 27/12/2020 at 19:37, MrWolf said:

Fuel gauge? That's the entire instrument panel!

Bash plate or not, a 2CV would stand that kind of abuse better than most ordinary car or any supercar.

Plus they probably had half a dozen old yellow Citroen's on standby.

Used to deliver into a film studio props dept in one unit they were busy building three identical beige Volvo 240 estates for some sort of road warrior film staring Billy zane some of which was filmed on a closed of section of the east lancs road at night . Some weeks later all three were in the back yard in a comprehesivley smashed state alongside another absoloutly pristine example of the same car .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, peanuts said:

Came accross this lurking at a delivery today it is apparently a runner 

20210101_094308.jpg

The engine would probably run forever, the big worry would be whether the metal around the back axle has dissolved. I actually preferred the look of the saloon to the Stag. A car which when we were children, we derided as "An old man's Spitfire". My MK3 spitfire was another car I wish I could have kept!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The engine would probably run forever, the big worry would be whether the metal around the back axle has dissolved. I actually preferred the look of the saloon to the Stag. A car which when we were children, we derided as "An old man's Spitfire". My MK3 spitfire was another car I wish I could have kept!

Looks amazingly complete, wing mirrors still standing and covers on the spot lamps........probably will never be saved being a 2000........2.5 would have been snapped up by now surely......

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hopefully it will be saved. I have seen far too many cases over the years of someone who isn't into old cars getting one out of a lockup for nothing. The infamous bloke down the pub tells them it's worth £10,000, everyone who looks at it offers a perfectly reasonable £500. The owner thinks that everyone is trying to rob him of a potential fortune and in a fit of pique, either scraps it or leaves it to fall apart. Usually the latter, we've all met Mr "I don't want it but you're not having it", haven't we?

• Agree 6

15 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Looks amazingly complete, wing mirrors still standing and covers on the spot lamps........probably will never be saved being a 2000........2.5 would have been snapped up by now surely......

The guy that owns it has a workshop further up i was delivering parts to him for his other work there are several newer cars i states of disrepair surrounding it .will ask his intentions vis the triumph next time i deliver 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Much prefer that style of spider, always thought that the modernised rear end with the big light clusters looked clumsy. I bet three running together sounds good.

I prefer the 'boat tail' rear end too but having looked at a couple of early '70s series 2 'kamm tails' recently I rather like them. Good boat tails are hard to find these days as they only made them from 1966 to 1969, any that do come up for sale are usually (at least) two or three times the price of the later cars. A mate at work is currently storing the bodyshell of his brother's early '90s Spider and without the huge plastic bumpers and spoilers attached it still looks like a proper Spider, it's almost a pity that he's going to restore it with all the extra bodywork on really!

When the first boat tails were shown at Geneva and Turin a lot of the journos didn't like the rear end styling but praised very highly on the whole due to the way it drove. In Italy they were given the nickname of 'cuttlefish' because of the overall shape. I only realised today whilst looking at some photos that the windscreen on the Kamm tail cars is raked back at a steeper angle to those on the boat tails.

Gorgeous, pretty little cars....

DUETTO RZ #2 14460_o.jpg

DUETTO SPIDER 1968 14_305_02.jpg

• Like 8

Did my first driving on the public highways in a Jamaica yellow Cavalier mk1. They stick in my mind not just for that, but for what a good driving mile eater they were. No surprise that Vauxhall took the repmobile crown back then.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Did Donald Trump enjoy his apple?

steve

As it's the 80s, might that not be one or those fashionable at the time Arthur Scargill nylon toupees?

Something that Trump has taken to wearing back to front in the idiom of a baseball cap?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo c/o Anthony Gregory : Coalville train crew depot in the '80s....

AG CV crew #1.jpg

AG CV Crew #2.jpg

"Illustrated British Industry in the 80s": 1-2 blokes doing something, 4-5 watching.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

3 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

"Illustrated British Industry in the 80s": 1-2 blokes doing something, 4-5 watching.

Nowadays the 1-2 blokes doing something are probably doing something on their phones.

The 4-5 watching turn up in shiny new Audis and shiny new PPE, congratulate each other for half an hour and clear off for a free lunch.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo c/o Anthony Gregory : Coalville train crew depot in the '80s....

AG CV crew #1.jpg

AG CV Crew #2.jpg

Is the Cavalier producing mystery food stuffs?  By the look on the blokes face that's eating it the others should give up searching as he doesn't seem to be enjoying it very much

'Urrr tastes O f##king gear oil!'

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

He has to wear it like that to keep it aligned with his brain.

Mike.

I remember someone saying to me: "God doesn't care about money, just look at the c##*s he gives it to..."

• Agree 3
  • Funny 5

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I remember someone saying to me: "God doesn't care about money, just look at the c##*s he gives it to..."

When undergoing my engineering training at FoMoCo I lived in digs in Ilford. Once a week the landladies rather demure looking older sister came over for dinner. When a fellow lodger announced he had just enjoyed another a win on the Premium Bonds, she responded - apparently rather out of character - "The Devil always sh*ts on the biggest heap". 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

My Series 2 Alfa Spider , and 1972 Gaz 24 Volga. The soviet bug has bitten harder than the italian one -  the Volga is hilarious to drive , and I must admit the condition of the Alfa makes it hard to enjoy without fear of spoiling it -  dare i say it , the Alfa may be moved on , to be replaced by an old Vaz/Lada , or a Gaz Chaika if i really wanted to be stupid...

Jon  

136630444_2702321966747302_2081889154133932455_n.jpg

135854453_847092389191868_9007437201820766227_n.jpg

136333046_773990589995412_6774173761516375988_n.jpg

135857832_398278731277652_8836712568445629013_n.jpg

136434064_401511707724744_7319878854970701432_n.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2