The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

I paid £2k for the Pheaton knowing about the box, its one of those DSG boxes which are renown for failing, I got 12 months out of it without real issue, if you were gentle with it it was fine, foot hard down and it would drop out of gear

When I sold it I got £1700 back for it so £300 for 12 months motoring as I didn’t spend a penny on it (other than consumables) 

Pretty sure you will find the Phaeton uses the Tiptronic box which is nothing like the DSG box, the Tiptronic was not rated high enough for the torque most of the Phaetons had and resulted in quite a few failures.

The DSG is a much maligned box usually because it has been “serviced” with either the wrong (cheaper) oil or the fitter doing the job didn’t know how to check the levels correctly, which admittedly was a real faff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have often wondered just how much scrap iron we could fish out of the world's oceans. 

Isn’t that what the Italians were doing back in the 60’s and 70’s for their car industry? :o

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

22 hours ago, 43179 said:

My Series 2 Alfa Spider , and 1972 Gaz 24 Volga. The soviet bug has bitten harder than the italian one -  the Volga is hilarious to drive , and I must admit the condition of the Alfa makes it hard to enjoy without fear of spoiling it -  dare i say it , the Alfa may be moved on , to be replaced by an old Vaz/Lada , or a Gaz Chaika if i really wanted to be stupid...

Jon  

136630444_2702321966747302_2081889154133932455_n.jpg

135854453_847092389191868_9007437201820766227_n.jpg

136333046_773990589995412_6774173761516375988_n.jpg

135857832_398278731277652_8836712568445629013_n.jpg

136434064_401511707724744_7319878854970701432_n.jpg

Jon, your Alfa Spider is just stunning and is not a common sight at all in black, even less so in RHD form. I'm almost too scared to ask how much you'd want for it if you did decide to sell. I've just finished reading the Brooklands road test book and the Crowood book by Jim Talbott and Andrew Brown on the Spiders and there are several references to the limited access around the engine, particularly the dipstick (I have three other Spider books on order!). How do you get on with the floor mounted pedals and have you ever driven a 1600 or 1750 Spider...?

Meanwhile, here's a nice piece of Spider history - lucky 'name the new Alfa' competition winner Guidobaldo Trionfi receives the keys to his new steed from Alfa Romeo president Guiseppe Luraghi at the factory in 17th June 1966, for coming up with the 'Duetto' name....

DUETTO wxAoU3Lg.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Jon, your Alfa Spider is just stunning and is not a common sight at all in black, even less so in RHD form. I'm almost too scared to ask how much you'd want for it if you did decide to sell. I've just finished reading the Brooklands road test book and the Crowood book by Jim Talbott and Andrew Brown on the Spiders and there are several references to the limited access around the engine, particularly the dipstick (I have three other Spider books on order!). How do you get on with the floor mounted pedals and have you ever driven a 1600 or 1750 Spider...?

That's very kind words - If it's not already on your list , the Spider book by John Tipler is very good  plus I think one of the earlier versions of the Brooklands workshop manual has some beautiful cut away drawings of the engine, carburettor etc - almost worth framing!

Mines a genuine RHD 'euro spec' car so its got the extra little 'plus 2 'seats in the back . Yes black is not so common , it was a special order color ,  and only black and dark blue cars came with a red interior. All other colors had a black interior -  as a result , genuine unmolested red interior panels are quite rare , particularly the plastic b' pillar/wheelarch trims -  which previous owner like to ruin by fitting speakers :( . I've not dared count up the time/££s invested in it - certainly more than its currently worth but being a rare black car I wanted to 'save it' and make it as good as it can be . I've spent 10 years getting it to where it is today;  full bare metal body restoration, expoxied underneath , dynamat sound deadening,  full engine, gearbox and diff rebuilt , all suspension powdercoated , hardware zinc plated etc etc and I built a new wiring loom from scratch and rebuilt all the instruments to upgrade them to LEDS - the only deviation from originality is technically its got the wrong wheels on it  - series 2 spider didn't have hubcaps , the Duettos did , but mine are , I think, supposed to be for a GTV, but they seem to 'work'. 

I've driven a few 105 saloons - a Super , and a GTV - essentially the same car underneath as mine but they drive nicer - the spider , having no roof does suffer scuttle shake which obviously the others don't. Id like to try a 1750 or 1600  , I'm sure being smaller they will be more free and responsive (more fun basically!)  plus you've got a 5 speed gearbox . On a little car like a spider the 1600 is probably more than enough really - in some ways the rather sluggish 2 little is a bit overkill. I run a classic car workshop so I'm used to weird pedals/driving positions - the pedals seem ok - more of an issue - lets say , 'Italian feature' is the column stalks , when the cars were designed they mostly had left hand drive in mind . For the UK all they did was moved the steering wheel over the other side, without really considering where the stalks are now relative to the gear lever - its got a very long throw -so when you put it in 5th you flash the headlights :rolleyes:

While on the subject of all things Alfa - I was very very lucky to see the BAT cars in person while they were displayed briefly in london 2019 they gave away a little book at the entrance which is a lovely little thign in its own right - well worth trying to hunt down a copy.

Jon 

136788698_1880620632079317_8745086142182159749_n.jpg

136952017_705578583477780_923736123941053909_n.jpg

137004327_1089496338214831_3814207790717525136_n.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, peanuts said:

137237091_10157287873025044_5441117336092192915_n.jpg

They are evil things, I HATE them.

Magnetic pickups and transistor amplifiers FTW.

Was very funny telling people accusing my old hatch of being old fashioned* that it had electronic ignition.

* just because rear wheel drive.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MJI said:

They are evil things, I HATE them.

Magnetic pickups and transistor amplifiers FTW.

Was very funny telling people accusing my old hatch of being old fashioned* that it had electronic ignition.

* just because rear wheel drive.

Never had a real problem with them.

Except when spending a day fettling a friend's V8 P6. He bought new EVERYTHING off eBay which you would think was a good idea. But it ran like a bag of nails. After several hours, he was ready to throw teddy out of the pram. 

I looked at the box the points came in. Never heard of them. After a bit of badgering, he agreed to humour me and refit the Lucas points that he was adamant were worn out.

It ran like a watch. There's some really cheap ass Mickey mouse service items out there and like a lot of brown smelly stuff, it floats to the top of the internet bargain pond .

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5

Points do have the advantage over old and questionable electronics that they generally fail gradually, and will sort of work even in the most appalling state, so you can nurse the vehicle home. Electronic black boxes, OTOH, generally either work or they don't, leaving replacement as the only option. Which is fine, if a replacement is available. 

Now, I'll be the first to admit that modern electronics, used as the manufacturer intended, are extremely reliable and, generally, don't fail. However, my motorcycle experience indicates that 1980s electronics, subjected to decades of weather, the voltage spikes inherent in older vehicle charging systems, amateur (and "professional" meddling), and all the other misfortunes they can suffer, are not. 

Besides, I've always been fascinated by the little Christmas trees that grow on neglected CB points. Did you know that, in Australia, it grows on the opposite point? :jester:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, skipepsi said:

Do you mean you can't leave home without using it?

You never need it, except if you don't take it with you, that's sods law and part of the rule of the seven P's.  It's actually a magneto points spanner, there's one in the tool roll of all our bikes and a BA spanner in the Herald's kit.

Same applies to the rest of your get you out of trouble toolkit, it helps you to not look like one of those helpless fools who stands at the side of the road with a flat tyre and his phone in his hand because he either doesn't know how to change a wheel or thinks that such tasks are beneath him.

Ten minutes tinkering or two hours waiting for help. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A pair of Mole grips, my girlfriends tights and a nail, that was my "get you home" kit, although once the tights came off getting home generally took a bit longer!

Mike/

Reminds me of a Skoda I had as a student...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PatB said:

Points do have the advantage over old and questionable electronics that they generally fail gradually, and will sort of work even in the most appalling state, so you can nurse the vehicle home. Electronic black boxes, OTOH, generally either work or they don't, leaving replacement as the only option. Which is fine, if a replacement is available. 

Now, I'll be the first to admit that modern electronics, used as the manufacturer intended, are extremely reliable and, generally, don't fail. However, my motorcycle experience indicates that 1980s electronics, subjected to decades of weather, the voltage spikes inherent in older vehicle charging systems, amateur (and "professional" meddling), and all the other misfortunes they can suffer, are not. 

Besides, I've always been fascinated by the little Christmas trees that grow on neglected CB points. Did you know that, in Australia, it grows on the opposite point? :jester:

Looks like you can still get new old stock, or a replacement, is a quite simple circuit. For no points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skipepsi said:

Quite a lot the major problem will be the munitions attached...

Very true, but we are all well aware that it wouldn't be economically viable anyway. Just another example of how we manage to waste what we have.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Reminds me of a Skoda I had as a student...

Hmm I have heard of videos where the owners love their cars that much :o

:lol:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, PatB said:

For some reason I've never warmed to the Stag, even going through phases of active dislike, mostly in proportion to how much in fashion the thing is. However, I've long thought that the Triumph 2000 was probably Michelotti's (and Standard Triumph's, for that matter) finest effort. It is, in Mk1 form, at least, so elegant from pretty much every angle. That big, Italianate greenhouse, atop the perfect, uninterrupted sweep of waistline, and just the right amount of brightwork. Quick and comfortable too, with decent handling. Well, quite decent. ISTR that Which? Magazine succeeded in flipping a Mk2 during handling tests but we'll ignore that, on the basis of their utter brutality towards test cars.

Let's face it, if Alfa or Lancia had built it, you'd need a second mortgage to buy one now. As it came from stodgy old S-T, or, even worse, BL, they're still sort of affordable. Bargain, I reckon. 

I've never warmed to the Stag either, although I can see that it has many good qualities.  To be fair, I've never travelled in one let alone had a drive.  First hand experience might warm me up to the Stag.

19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I always preferred the Mk1, even though they rusted out. They were very nicely put together. As was it's little brother, the 1300 FWD. I could ignore the fact it was wrong wheel drive, due to the engine pointing the right way. I could even forgive the dodgy quill shaft bearings that sounded like a diving Stuka on the overrun. It was stylish reasonably quick and comfortable and even at thirty years old, you could shut all of the doors with your little finger. 

Try doing that with any of its Leyland built / thrown together successors.

The Triumphs I have driven (TR3, 4 and 6 plus GT6 Mk.2 and Spitfire Mk.IV) have been generally impressive (O.K. one of the two TR6s was awful but I'm willing to believe it was a rogue example).  I'd like to drive a Triumph 2.5 PI and a FWD1300.

As for shutting the door with your little finger; I know the old Rover P5 3.5-litre was like that and it is one of my indicators of good quality.

• Like 2