The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MJI said:

I find I tend to get technologies that interest me when I need them or could afford it.

Bought a LCD TV at just the right time, now 11 years old and just coming up for replacement.

Ditto here, it’s much too much fun not to….

Our first Samsung 52” Plasma (which replaced the Mitsubishi 37” CRT, that weighed about 70Kg:wacko:) is still going strong in the bedroom now, no burn in, no missing pixels…..they don’t make’em like that anymore.

And like you with the phones…my phone is a third hand me down from my DiL, she is a lawyer and just had to have the new iPhone 5S back in 2013……and it still holds enough charge for my day, although I hardly ever use it, I have giffgaff chip at £6 a month and get free texts and a bunch of data…..of which I never use……500 minutes of calls, of which I use about 10 minutes a month……I need a carrier pidgeon really :lol:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Which would now buy you quite a nice mirrorless camera, maybe with a fairly ordinary lens at that price, but able to take 4k video. 

Or half the Leica I really want :lol:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Did you get the Betamax Home recorder?

I cannot believe how much I paid for it back then, it was the C7 and cost around £600……that was in 1980……

Ouch just found the calculator thingy…..1980 £600 would be 2021 £2380…..:wacko:

edit. Actually threw the C7 away last year* when I got it out and found it dead, not even a light on the display, put it away a long time ago all working, probably just a slow blow gone pop when tried again, never mind but I had forgotten just how heavy it was! 

*must have been the year before…forgot Covid….last year just didn’t happen…did it?

My dad bought a Sanyo 6500, a few years later we went halves on a SL-F1UB HVC4000P combo which was 3 years old.

Then he bought a Sanyo M40 I now have and a digital Panasonic Vhs deck. I bought a Sony 950 in 87 or 88 and used it as my edit deck.

Since then got DVD and a few PVRs, but now down to a Freesat HD Humax due to DSO killing the original PVR.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I get a work phone and I hate its bossiness, nicest one we had was a Nokia N8.

My TV purchases are a 14" portable, a 25" 4x3 a 32" WS IDTV and a 46" HD LCD.

All cost me a lot BUT saved me needing to replace.

I managed to get my last CRT discounted to £1200, but the picture was the best I have seen from a CRT, ran it until dark patch in corner, knocked brightness down one level and sold for £50 with the explanation.

14" died a couple of years ago 25" I wore it out.

People wonder how I can like tech when I have only had 4 TVs, but simple method of buy carefully buy once, in same time I had 2 TVs my dad has had at least 5.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Did they help their image by getting into bed w Panasonic? Or are you still after a lovely film Leica?

They helped Panny’s image for sure but also got a lot more exposure (no pun intended) by having “Leica” on virtually every Panasonic camera lens, TBH I don’t think it hurt Leica’s image at all with the enthusiasts, they knew it is all marketing and without the Panny tie up I am not sure Leica would have survived as successfully as they have.

I am after the Q2 which is the genuine Leica article rather than a rebadged Panny, I have recently decided to get rid of all my Nikon digital equipment and lenses as I am not in such good enough health anymore to lug around tons of gear, so one tiny P&S and one high quality medium size fixed lens camera is all I need.

edit : had the film Leicas a very long time ago, they are fine but for serious professional work Nikon/Canon systems are “it”……although I used Hasselblad most of the time, the Nikon’s were for “on the move stuff”.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Did you get the Betamax Home recorder?

I cannot believe how much I paid for it back then, it was the C7 and cost around £600……that was in 1980……

Ouch just found the calculator thingy…..1980 £600 would be 2021 £2380…..:wacko:

edit. Actually threw the C7 away last year* when I got it out and found it dead, not even a light on the display, put it away a long time ago all working, probably just a slow blow gone pop when tried again, never mind but I had forgotten just how heavy it was! 

*must have been the year before…forgot Covid….last year just didn’t happen…did it?

To put that into perspective, the same year my father paid £600 for a six year old Hillman Avenger 1500DL estate car.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

To put that into perspective, the same year my father paid £600 for a six year old Hillman Avenger 1500DL estate car.

I know, crazy isn’t it?  I was thinking as I wrote that that the cars we had at the time were most likely about half the price of the recorder…..then again they were always from auction, and sold on after a few months ;)

• Like 2

Humble pie eating / correction time regarding that Maser QPIV pic posted earlier - having looked at some photos and the odd youtube clip it turns out that some of the later VO Evoluzione cars also had the trident badge on the rear door frames, in typically Italian fashion it appears to have been quite random.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Humble pie eating / correction time regarding that Maser QPIV pic posted earlier - having looked at some photos and the odd youtube clip it turns out that some of the later VO Evoluzione cars also had the trident badge on the rear door frames, in typically Italian fashion it appears to have been quite random.

We’ll let you off this time……don’t do it again!

• Funny 2

I once owned [briefly] a Wolseley Hornet...purchased it off a 'client' back in 1980 or thereabouts.

I recall. looked nice at the time, but had to have new steel welded into the rear subframe mounts!

Very ecumenical, compared to what i was used to....but a 'girlfriend', who then owned an FB Victor deluxe{?},, decided she needed a more eco menical motorcar to get to & fro  from work...so 'persuaded' me to do a straight swap!

Having been by then, divorced at least once, I should have known better, but I guess I always was a sucker,  in my younger days, for a set of fluttering eyelashes?

The Victor was a bit of a 'sublime to the gorblimey' moment.  It was a two tone, [white with red roof], leather upholstery [on the bits one touches], separate front seats, and 4-on-the-floor gearchange. 1600cc motor too, a single carb version of the running gear fitted to the then-VX 4/90[ without the LSD too]

A 'B' reg, as I recall...It was quite happy to cruise along a motorway [''The'' motorway?] at a steady indicated 75mph...but the fuel consumption? Well, I probably spilt more than the Wolseley would use?

It went when I got myself  a new motorcycle.  

No point having a big back seat if I already 'owned' my own 2 bed cottage?

The motorbecycle did me for my transport needs...and was also part of the natural female friend selection process...if they were happy on the pillion, then so far so good....If not??? Tough, & taraaa!

Got knocked off that in the middle of the night by a mini driver cutting  his corners on a narrow country lane, swiped my right leg....smashed it up good n proper too...ended up off work for nigh on 11 months too...Bit of a carry-on as well, challenging a Due Care charge [dismissed] then screwing his insurance?

Led to my 2nd marriage as well....seeing as how she had 'looked after me' all that time whilst I was a limpin' luloo..

I think most of my marriages fell into the ''might-as-well' category?  :)

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, steve1 said:

Chatting to the owner he said he recently re-restored it. Also owns aHornet and a Mini Traveller.

steve

CD69132F-EE5E-4C78-B683-FA350F997C54.jpeg

80DE2D6E-B918-482F-A314-4E1E1C2557B8.jpeg

I always thought that the Riley/Wolsely boot would look better on a Clubman giving a more balanced appearance. I do believe that they did just that in one of the overseas assembly plants. (South Africa or Portugal IIRC).

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I always thought that the Riley/Wolsely boot would look better on a Clubman giving a more balanced appearance. I do believe that they did just that in one of the overseas assembly plants. (South Africa or Portugal IIRC).

South Africa had the elf/hornet front end on normal minis

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Anyone know of a decent SD1 rover vitesse with manual  gearbox for sale?

I have probably left it a bit late. I don't know why but always put off by high fuel consumption but the other day I thought it doesn't matter about MPG its not like I'm going to use it every day and at the moment the prices haven't gone stupid 

Edited by russ p
  • Like 2

Here you go:

USB ebook - Original Technical Publications - HTP2020 (rimmerbros.com)

I can't seem to get the web address to copy, but try rimmerbros.com, then drill down via 'General Accesories - Books manuals dvds - digital manuals - RoverSD1 manual (digital).

They also do the Haynes manual, but if you are like me, you will avoid that! Only fit to put under the jack!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

There is a one off Mk3 Elf or Hornet in existence onto which the owner grafted a Clubman front end, it appears in Mark Steward's Mini book. 

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Here you go:

USB ebook - Original Technical Publications - HTP2020 (rimmerbros.com)

I can't seem to get the web address to copy, but try rimmerbros.com, then drill down via 'General Accesories - Books manuals dvds - digital manuals - RoverSD1 manual (digital).

They also do the Haynes manual, but if you are like me, you will avoid that! Only fit to put under the jack!

Sorry Stewart I wrote the post badly I'm after an actual vitesse with a manual gearbox 

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, alastairq said:

On the whole, were the above about as popular as the Astra Belmont?

Or the Ford Focus with a boot.....

In the case of the Minis etc., none of them were hatchbacks so that doesn't come into it. I  only ever had a very passing acquaintance with any of the mini variants, but, had I ever had considered buying one, the extra boot space, though modest in cubic feet, seemed to be about double, and would have been enough for me to prefer an Elf. You also got a single-carb version of the 998cc Cooper engine as standard rather than the gutless 850. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 6