The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

George Harrison's bungalow in Esher, 8th August 1969, not sure who the Corsair belongs to (possibly Terry Doran, aka 'the man from the motor trade') but these two photos were taken on the same day that the cover for the 'Abbey Road' LP was shot, probably later in the day, the white Mk2 Mini belonged to Ringo....

003700-george-harrisons-house-kinfauns-in-esher-surrey-on-8th-august-CTNXH0.jpg.93fd3e86e885c0c87035dd6abd8a223f.jpg

50868250da2035074bb138e280fb84fb.jpg.e9b973c78d745e684b4d1cbfc34feb9a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

George Harrison's bungalow in Esher, 8th August 1969, not sure who the Corsair belongs to (possibly Terry Doran, aka 'the man from the motor trade') but these two photos were taken on the same day that the cover for the 'Abbey Road' LP was shot, probably later in the day, the white Mk2 Mini belonged to Ringo....

003700-george-harrisons-house-kinfauns-in-esher-surrey-on-8th-august-CTNXH0.jpg.93fd3e86e885c0c87035dd6abd8a223f.jpg

50868250da2035074bb138e280fb84fb.jpg.e9b973c78d745e684b4d1cbfc34feb9a.jpg

It probably belongs to the forensic officer who is there to investigate the graffiti attack on George's house

• Funny 7

I do like a Ford Corsair, shame that so few have survived.

Proof, if were needed, that if you are an internationally renowned musician or similar, you can get away with looking like the neighbors from hell. 

The local residents association would kick up a fuss if Joe Nobody painted his bungalow like that! :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Proof, if were needed, that if you are an internationally renowned musician or similar, you can get away with looking like the neighbors from hell. 

The local residents association would kick up a fuss if Joe Nobody painted his bungalow like that! :D

After George moved out c.1970 / 71 a subsequent owner of the bungalow demolished it and built a new house on the same plot!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

When I first looked at houses round here 25 years ago, I visited one on an estate 4-12 years old, just across from where I was renting.  The owner had only lived there a few years; on almost his first day in the house, had the local busybody (sorry, Chair of the residents association) on his doorstep dropping loaded questions about tidying it up, especially repainting the front door and windows, making it clear that the only acceptable colour was dark brown like all the other houses. As the new owner was a keen Everton supporter this advice was all he needed to convince himself that the right shade for the front door was bright blue.  Even as a Liverpool supporter I could completely support his decision.

• Like 10

On 01/08/2021 at 21:20, PhilJ W said:

Cars of the future 1948.

There is at least one example of the Davis Divan still in existence.

Also, Gordon Buehrigs Tasco prototype.

As for the second vehicle, I have no idea.

• Like 4

That Tasco has a lot going for it to my mind. Ok, it's a bit outre but, compared to a lot of other concepts/prototypes it's at least fairly practical. You don't need much storage space in a sports car anyway. Someone must have built a rep somewhere...

steve

• Like 1

No reason why they couldn't be used thirty years later, my other half has her Triumph Herald as the only car at the house. We use it pretty regularly, or the motorcycles. If it's a trip under three miles and not much to carry, we both use bicycles. I can't imagine either of us buying a modern car unless we are forced to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

There are several reasons for old cars to last a long time in Malta. The climate for example is more North African than European, very hot and dry particularly in the summer months. High import duties on new cars and low mileages and speed limits. Things have changed in recent years as the Island has prospered and what was an old car a few years ago is now a classic automobile. There are still plenty of old cars to be seen in daily use but instead of being patched and hand painted many are immaculately restored.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Yet another new classic car mag. Is the market really that big? From a quick spin through it does seem to focus on owning and using classics, and at £3.80 is reasonably priced. Wonder if it will lay though?

steve

IMG_2034.JPG

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2