Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

That roll cage must weigh more than the chassis ;)

It's always slightly surprised me that nobody (to my knowledge) has come up with a unified chassis/rollcage for the Seven, to perform both functions better, with less weight than the separate components.

That appears to be what Ariel did with their Atom. No chance of resisting Industrial Espionage there!:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, steve1 said:

Makes it easy to get into.

steve

PS It isn’t mine but my mate’s track car.

It looked like it makes it harder to get into TBH, I always found the 7 and various copies were easy, it was the hard topped tiddler sports cars that are difficult (although being 6’3” never helped) although if the soft top was up on a Seven now that was impossible to ingress! 

• Like 1

In my experience, the problem of soft tops and access stem from the need for older designs of soft top to be erected from outside the car?

My Dellow has a soft top. Putting it up is like coping with an Erectaset.  There is also a 'modern fitment' roll over bar [to US racing standards, slightly cut down as previous owner was much taller than me]...I can 'get in' [insert ?] with the top erected, but that requires me to actually lie across the passenger side in order to get my legs inside. This could not be done with a passenger in situ. It may be possible for a passenger to get in with the driver in situ [me]...but most of the driver's 'cab' is actually intruding on the passenger side anyway.

I don't have a side screen set [very expensive to make]....There was a set at one time....last evidenced in  a photo taken for a newspaper advert in the early 1990's, before it got snapped up by a yank, and shipped off to the States.

Thus, the hoods effectiveness when driving in the rain is marginal.  The gear lever stays dry, but that's about all! Also the windscreen wipers are ''of the age'', so pretty naff by modern standards....They work, mainy by ensuring the rain droplets are smeared across the screen as one large vertical puddle, which I can 'see through'...

Intermittent wipe is achieved by my left hand twiddling the lever on the Lucas screen mounted wiper motor.

Handily placed for any passenge to head-butt if I should stop too quickly. That's if the passenger can actually stick their forehead on their knees in the first place?

• Funny 3

On 08/10/2021 at 10:52, PhilJ W said:

The problem with perspex is that it scratches easily, a few coats of clear varnish will help.

Look for Makrolon. Used in motorsport to replace glass as it will not shatter. Not cheap hence the need to watch skips or look for offcuts.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, doilum said:

Look for Makrolon. Used in motorsport to replace glass as it will not shatter. Not cheap hence the need to watch skips or look for offcuts.

How do you distinguish it from ordinary perspex?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, doilum said:

Same material as Lexan, which is the version we used on prototypes, mainly just because our suppliers had a contract.

It is very difficult to distinguish between Makrolon/Lexan and Perspex, but Perspex has a definite “softer” feel to it, and if the material is thin Perspex doesn’t “ring” when tapped unlike Lexan.

It is difficult to describe.

• Informative/Useful 3

20 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

How do you distinguish it from ordinary perspex?

Trade name on the wrapper? ( Not much use when skip diving though!)

I was given an offcut many years ago. 6mm thick it has survived well. I made up a pair of brackets to match the ones on the windscreen frame intended for the sidescreens.

Edited by doilum
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

In and around Reading in the '60s, '70s and '80s....

1054475639_PHCASTLESTRG.jpg.91c894eade62bcc742237bd561e80514.jpg

1305470736_PHREADINGCAV.jpg.94125a90722cbe8e40941418252cd2dc.jpg

940863128_PHRGBATHRDBMC.jpg.d97d2c1823eae22f3f5480f322be9edd.jpg

1724379832_PHRGBATHRDEARLY80s.jpg.5971c7d34b97457b9e2dcfc1e9c9ea1f.jpg

1812398335_PHRGCAVSHAM.jpg.93005c5529760819fd83095eae8ce10a.jpg

429375977_PHRGBUTTERMKT.jpg.6ca69348d3cfbd1cbd9f0544b252be70.jpg

1665971342_PHRGCAVERSHAM.jpg.019a43c1ddecd9b1dc7440a96bd34267.jpg

1785338807_PHRGCP.jpg.620d9bcae6aa3edaf628b5ed9b087cd7.jpg

1123400769_PHRGGENERAL.jpg.c26a251a013f5f68f8b32f62e0a5a33c.jpg

1913425740_PHRGSTATION.jpg.7319a98387fe21ef517403a6fbd5976b.jpg

Ditto on recognising some of the places.

That Nash Rambler in the image of the station approach was a rare bird.

steve

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

A lovely couple of hours today at the Italian Car Day at Brooklands.  In amongst the modern exotica, there were some real gems from my youth and earlier.  I always seek out the more ordinary survivors amongst the supercars:

IMG_7436.JPG.922cd50a0713b33b3ba7bce4456f3de6.JPG

IMG_7465.JPG.0feeff2d3280a143fc377142c40fd45d.JPG

I can't remember the last time I saw four Mirafioris together.  The nearest one had some noticeable rust, so was a very accurate restoration!

Edited by Northmoor
re-attach photos
  • Like 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't resist this one amongst the Ferraris though.  Old Enzo himself is on record as saying the E-type was the most beautiful car in the world, but I think his firm gave it a close run with the Dino:IMG_7449.JPG.eb6a4e236ae048a364a81aac54379d2f.JPG

Edited by Northmoor
re-attach photo
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I couldn't resist this one amongst the Ferraris though.  Old Enzo himself is on record as saying the E-type was the most beautiful car in the world, but I think his firm gave it a close run with the Dino:

IMG_7449.JPG

If that's the original reg, then it's a Surrey car - maybe from Maranello Concessionaires on the Egham bypass. Interestingly, founder Col Ronnie Hoare also owned F English of Bournemouth - who were Ford dealers and ran GT40s in competition!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

A lovely couple of hours today at the Italian Car Day at Brooklands.  In amongst the modern exotica, there were some real gems from my youth and earlier.  I always seek out the more ordinary survivors amongst the supercars:

IMG_7436.JPG.a3a03aaca14b2142b99f7faf44f1568d.JPG

IMG_7465.JPG.f8751ddb224672f8605f94d48aaef9d1.JPG

I can't remember the last time I saw four Mirafioris together.  The nearest one had some noticeable rust, so was a very accurate restoration!

Dad used to have a 1600 estate one of these in the same blue as the third one in was a proper tank iirc he traded it for a metro 

• Like 4

Last time I saw that many Mirafioris together, they were stacked three high as well as lined up. When I was about twenty I helped shoehorn the greasy bits out of one into my sister's boyfriend's Ford 100E. 

I can't remember when I last saw one on the road. Or one of the old Stradas with the strange round doorhandles. 

• Like 3