Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

In an attempt to get back on topic a bit, here is a picture (posted before) of an Opel GT I had in the early 70's. One feature on the locks fitted to Opels (and other cars of this period?) was that you could set the lock from the inside as you got out and by holding the outside door button in, lock the door as you closed it, leaving the door locked. This was okay until you realised that you had left the keys in the ignition.

Opel GT GM Ltd.jpg

A beauty of a little car they were…..worthy of a design award.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Another blatant burst of nostalgia - a Porsche 906 on the Targa Florio....

Similarly an Allegro on Hard Knot Pass.

1072299016_Scan(1).jpg.2119dbd06f7e65620cdcf01c45084571.jpg

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

People don’t realise that vehicles are well sealed and even in fairly modest depths can start to turn a car into a boat, the weight of the car reduces so much that in even modest current can sweep it away.

From what I remember of that daft Top Gear test the Princess was quite well sealed! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

People don’t realise that vehicles are well sealed and even in fairly modest depths can start to turn a car into a boat, the weight of the car reduces so much that in even modest current can sweep it away.

All started probably with the VW beetle [aircooled]?   Sage advice when failing to shut door properly was to crack open a window first, then shut door.

Surprisingly, this wee snippet of trivia came to the fore when I used to work.....shutting the cab doors on the millies MAN trucks had the same issue....student were amazed when I simply advised them to slightly open a window first, then shut the door.

Well sealed? Never something Land Rover could ever be accused of.  The factory wading depth on Defenders being as much about keeping the drivers' knickers dry, as any issues regarding getting water  in via the breathers?  Mind, I can vouch for them still being driveable, even when the water level was up to my tummy. [The thing was at a steep angle, to the drivers side...my student not heeding my advice as to position on the [flooded] track....and it was night time, so no lights either.....[except convoy lights]....I told him to keep further left, he went right! That was an Engineer for you! He was tall as well, and after a minute or two of allowing him to try to get the thing out of the hole himself...I suggested swapping seats. I wasn't about to go outside either, as I couldn;t be sure the driver's door would open, so we swapped seats inside...he was quite tall too, and his mates were amazed the two of us managed to change sides. Luckily he was a fit young soldier, and able to twist out of my way.  I got the thing out by self recovery....and returned to teh'base' to dry out. The night drive manager wasn't convinced I had merely put the thing into a puddle out there.....seeing as the 'tide mark' was a 45 degree line from bottom left to top right, across the back door. [it was a hard top].  I spent the next day [having briefed the soldier as to what to say if asked..so he wouldn't get any official flak] pressure hosing the entire vehicle out, cab sets, etc removed [I knew how to]....It was returned to our fleet in better [cleaner] condition than ever we had received it! The other outcome was, Land Rovers were barred from using that track until the water levels reduced somewhat.

The problem was, Land rovers [and Toyota hiluxes] used the same off road 'tracks' on the training area, as the MAN trucks and bigger DROPS vehicles...as well as the MAstiffs and similar...all of which had much much bigger wheels than a teensy tweeeny LandRover!!  So teh [hidden, under the water] ruts could be a heck of a lot deeper, in the mud.]

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 01/12/2021 at 13:57, Oldddudders said:

It is my casual observation that the biking fraternity expects to be, and thrives upon, taking their machine to pieces and making it work better, or at least as intended. The average 4-w C21 motorist has no such dark desires. Checking oil and tyres are tedious enough - and impossible for not a few older drivers. 

To be honest, I was just easily distracted with the locks and figured out how easy they were to take to pieces. Further there are only 4 different wafers used so quite a limited number of combinations.

The later Aprilias, Triumphs, etc, use a more modern Zadi key. These are a bit different to strip down. Ignition is more difficult but fuel cap, etc, easier, as once the lock barrel is out, prise off the cap from the top (crimped on) then there is a pin head visible - withdraw this and the wafers drop out. A lot of caravans use very similar locks, and a large lock set for a caravan it cheap. Might be a way to get a load of wafers spare to sort out a few more bikes to have matching keys for all their locks (one Aprilia I have has a different key for the seat, fuel cap and ignition - would be nice to have all match).

17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I was told that on some cars with central locking that all you have to do is hit a spot on the rear wing and it would unlock the car. One thing that worries me about  cars with central locking and electric windows is what happens if the car was driven into deep water and the battery shorts out how are the occupants going to get out?

I remember stories of cars being able to be opened by doing something to one of the front indicators. And another which would be started by taking out the light switch and connecting it the other way round.

7 hours ago, Northmoor said:

1. Fresh trout become locally available.

2. The driver complains on social media that the car didn't stop them driving into the water.

Flash fried trout!

All the best

Katy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, alastairq said:

All started probably with the VW beetle [aircooled]?   Sage advice when failing to shut door properly was to crack open a window first, then shut door.

Surprisingly, this wee snippet of trivia came to the fore when I used to work.....shutting the cab doors on the millies MAN trucks had the same issue....student were amazed when I simply advised them to slightly open a window first, then shut the door.

Well sealed? Never something Land Rover could ever be accused of.  The factory wading depth on Defenders being as much about keeping the drivers' knickers dry, as any issues regarding getting water  in via the breathers?  Mind, I can vouch for them still being driveable, even when the water level was up to my tummy. [The thing was at a steep angle, to the drivers side...my student not heeding my advice as to position on the [flooded] track....and it was night time, so no lights either.....[except convoy lights]....I told him to keep further left, he went right! That was an Engineer for you! He was tall as well, and after a minute or two of allowing him to try to get the thing out of the hole himself...I suggested swapping seats. I wasn't about to go outside either, as I couldn;t be sure the driver's door would open, so we swapped seats inside...he was quite tall too, and his mates were amazed the two of us managed to change sides. Luckily he was a fit young soldier, and able to twist out of my way.  I got the thing out by self recovery....and returned to teh'base' to dry out. The night drive manager wasn't convinced I had merely put the thing into a puddle out there.....seeing as the 'tide mark' was a 45 degree line from bottom left to top right, across the back door. [it was a hard top].  I spent the next day [having briefed the soldier as to what to say if asked..so he wouldn't get any official flak] pressure hosing the entire vehicle out, cab sets, etc removed [I knew how to]....It was returned to our fleet in better [cleaner] condition than ever we had received it! The other outcome was, Land Rovers were barred from using that track until the water levels reduced somewhat.

The problem was, Land rovers [and Toyota hiluxes] used the same off road 'tracks' on the training area, as the MAN trucks and bigger DROPS vehicles...as well as the MAstiffs and similar...all of which had much much bigger wheels than a teensy tweeeny LandRover!!  So teh [hidden, under the water] ruts could be a heck of a lot deeper, in the mud.]

Well they do say there are only two man made things on earth that are visible from space……the Great Wall of China and Defender shut lines :D

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kickstart said:

I remember stories of cars being able to be opened by doing something to one of the front indicators. 

All the best

Katy

Shhhhhhhhh. :D

Side repeater in the wing…..;)

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Oh dear, that is very nice indeed……destroying debit card as I type :o

We considered buying one when we got the 222. Longer wheelbase which is a plus point (more warning of the back end letting go). Down side is a lot of unique parts which are harder to find.

All the best

Katy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Kickstart said:

We considered buying one when we got the 222. Longer wheelbase which is a plus point (more warning of the back end letting go). Down side is a lot of unique parts which are harder to find.

All the best

Katy

If I hadn't already bought my 430 I'd be having a look at that 228 ;).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Maestro restoration carrying on. The new engine is now complete.

I bought two brand new O series units in 2013 after the original engine suffered a cracked block

The engines came from a closed rover dealer in Cheltenham and have never been ran. 

I've done one up with new head gasket, water pump , cam belt tensioner all new oil seals including stem seals .

The wheels were new old stock in 2009 but I've had them powder coated as easier to keep looking good . All new brakes have been fitted throughout. 

Hopefully back on the road in the spring 

20211210_162735.jpg

20211210_162744.jpg

20211210_162719.jpg

IMG-20211211-WA0053.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, russ p said:

Maestro restoration carrying on. The new engine is now complete.

I bought two brand new O series units in 2013 after the original engine suffered a cracked block

The engines came from a closed rover dealer in Cheltenham and have never been ran. 

I've done one up with new head gasket, water pump , cam belt tensioner all new oil seals including stem seals .

The wheels were new old stock in 2009 but I've had them powder coated as easier to keep looking good . All new brakes have been fitted throughout. 

Hopefully back on the road in the spring 

20211210_162735.jpg

20211210_162744.jpg

20211210_162719.jpg

IMG-20211211-WA0053.jpg

Proper job :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Very festive. Shame about the missing nearside headlamp trim and peak....

Also back in the day no one would be in both camps at once*……..it was the AA or the RAC….never the Twain would meet! :D

*why…..what did you think I meant? :lol:

• Like 1