RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

8 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

He is obsessed with 1950/60s british model cars and has bought some of my collection of large battery operated model cars.

When it comes to full sized cars he hasnt got a clue.

I am trying to educate him about E10  and what it does to fuel systems and work required on cylinder head valve erosion!

Well it seems he is a sheep in wolfs clothing, actually has had and owns some pretty rare cars,

just sold this one last November.

https://www.uniqueclassiccars.com/vehicles/2855/1964-oldsmobile-98-luxury-sedan-6-window-hardtop

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, alastairq said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334139270768?hash=item4dcc40a670:g:iPkAAOSw2SphNoi~

Off the cuff, I rather like the Dam-liar above, in my dotage.

Big lazy 6-pot, lots off crinkled leather and wood....not too bad in the handling stakes [not sure what the chassis looks like though?}

Proper Laa-dee-dah-gunner graham stuff.   [Or, begone, proles....?]

Was the pop riveted zinc alloy scuff plates standard on them? My suspicious mind says “hiding problems” but it could be perfectly innocent.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Was the pop riveted zinc alloy scuff plates standard on them? My suspicious mind says “hiding problems” but it could be perfectly innocent.

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/307-1955-daimler-regency-mark-ii/?lot=54002&sd=1

Double the asking price in one year????

Last MoT 2010

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 15/02/2022 at 20:27, Lord Flashheart said:

Something different in for MOT today. 

Rob

IMG20220215154209.jpg

Looks a nice example of the facelift version of the Mk2, a CD saloon as well, one of the rarer variants in its day.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

The old 1800 injections were quite a nice drive, (I used to do car delivery many years ago) I remember upsetting a Audi dealer in same chain that I prefered the Cavalier as it was a nicer drive. They are lucky I did not invoke Senator.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MJI said:

The old 1800 injections were quite a nice drive, (I used to do car delivery many years ago) 

I think the slightly later 2 litre version was even nicer, more low end torque. My mate had an F plate GLSi as a company car with that engine and he'd let me drive it now and again. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

I think the slightly later 2 litre version was even nicer, more low end torque. My mate had an F plate GLSi as a company car with that engine and he'd let me drive it now and again. 

I drove a few of those,  even better.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Deb had a Mk 3 2-litre CD and hated every one of the 47k miles she did in it in a year of use. The gearing was optimised for consumption, and thus 4th felt uncomfortable in a 30 zone. It was good on motorways, natch.

I had a real job by then I drove one 1600 as last job and it was boring

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, MJI said:

I had a real job by then I drove one 1600 as last job and it was boring

The engine range for the MK3 was a bit bonkers at launch, from memory it went from a 90bhp 1600 (which was gutless) straight up to a 115 bhp 2 lite injected ( as pointed out compromised for the sake of economy) A year or so later they stuck the 1800 in the middle, I took one to 196K and it was always a nice car to drive.  The base model was a 1400 I think, can't recall what bhp that was (not many lol).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MJI said:

Mk2 1300 75 1600 90 1800 10? 2000 115

Mk3 1600 82

Don't forget the Mk2 SRi 130 as well.

I remember in the 80s our neighbours on the farm had a brown 2.0CD and it looked lovely; they only did about 2000 miles a year in it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, MJI said:

Mk2 1300 75 1600 90 1800 10? 2000 115

Mk3 1600 82

Ah yes I had it in the back of my mind the 1600 actually went down in bhp, plus a heavier car I suspect. I think both the Mk2 1800 and 2 litre were 115bhp, apart from the last of the line 'Cailbre' model which had a boy racer body kit and 130 bhp 2 litre.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My one and only brand new car was a 1600 Mk2, "commander" which was a classic parts bin special, a base model with added 5 speed box, tinted glass, sunroof and low profile sports wheels. Had a manual choke which was a rarity on MK2 Cavaliers. Pictured here outside my parent's house, on the site of the loco depot in Weymouth. List price was 7 grand.

IMG-20171111-WA0006.jpg.9fe5043c8721134c0394a989e236dc69.jpg

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

My one and only brand new car was a 1600 Mk2, "commander" which was a classic parts bin special, a base model with added 5 speed box, tinted glass, sunroof and low profile sports wheels. Had a manual choke which was a rarity on MK2 Cavaliers. Pictured here outside my parent's house, on the site of the loco depot in Weymouth. List price was 7 grand.

IMG-20171111-WA0006.jpg.9fe5043c8721134c0394a989e236dc69.jpg

Mate had a Cavalier Antibes - whatever an antibe was !!!!

Brit15

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Mate had a Cavalier Antibes - whatever an antibe was !!!!

Brit15

iirc Antibes was a popular  resort with the sloan set at the time so may of been Vauxhalls attempt to look a bit upmarket with some fancy blue trim and go faster stripes was a trend amongst manufacturers to release such models around this time 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, peanuts said:

iirc Antibes was a popular  resort with the sloan set at the time so may of been Vauxhalls attempt to look a bit upmarket with some fancy blue trim and go faster stripes was a trend amongst manufacturers to release such models around this time 

Yes all I can remember about the Antibes was bright paintwork and lurid plastic wheel trims. Somebody put the brochure online here:-

https://www.veikl.com/d/Vauxhall-Antibes-Limited-Edition-Range-Brochure-1986-EN-86076

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Yes all I can remember about the Antibes was bright paintwork and lurid plastic wheel trims. Somebody put the brochure online here:-

https://www.veikl.com/d/Vauxhall-Antibes-Limited-Edition-Range-Brochure-1986-EN-86076

"Limited Editions" like that were usually quick tart-up jobs with "free" extras designed to speed-up sales of the final production run ahead of launching the replacement model. The Commander mentioned earlier was another.

Vauxhall was by no means the only manufacturer to go in for it. Ford and Peugeot definitely did, and probably lots more that I don't remember. I imagine it still goes on as we Brits love a "bargain".

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1