The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, alastairq said:

I wasn't suggesting anything about RTC road death statistics, then & now.... or anything like that.

I was simply observing...given that moderns are supposed to be  safer..in other words have better crash protection, etc etc.....then why are so many people still being killed in car crashes?

This past week alone, in two separate RTCs, 3 young lads died.  Within a day of each other.  One, a single vehicle collision with a tree [SEAT Cupra], at around 7 AM...The other involving a Corsa and a Renault, at 1.30 in the morning.  In the space of less than 2 days!

Preceded by a couple of single vehicle fatacs some miles north of here, both on one of the areas major A roads!....[But still considered 'in the area' by folks..] at the end of May.....OK, so the area covered is quite a large one, mainly rural, with 'towns' here & there..but, even so....

FAtal collisions do make 'the headlines' round hereabouts, largely because the local press informs everyone when a particular road is closed by Police.....and, eventually, why. So that folk can make alternative arrangements.

Nothing to do with comparisons of statistics at all...merely observations, which come into focus when someone says, modern cars are safer..[than what?}

Safer than they would be if they were still the flimsy rotboxes we had when I started driving in the 1960s. Crap brakes, mostly lousy handling and zero crash protection.

However, all the advances are to some extent negated by the fact that most young, inexperienced drivers now drive cars that can go twice as fast as what we tended to learn on.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Very few young drivers have a new car, many have cars almost as old as themselves. A combination of elderly vehicles and inexperienced drivers probably contributes to many accidents. 

Not to mention, particularly in the small hours, the unlikelihood of sticking to speed limits. And that's before we get to issues of alcohol and illicit substances....

• Agree 8

I think a lot of young drivers do take advantage of the 'offers' that manufacturers put out now & again.

As I mentioned before, it's about the monthly cost at the end of the day.

Besides, even a £500 banger is going to be something less than 20 years old, and in fact, I would consider, a 'modern'...especially when they had airbags and stuff as standard 20 years ago?

As Blair mentioned words to the effect, if you drive faster today, and hit something solid like a tree, or whatever..then death is still going to be a likely outcome.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, alastairq said:

FAtal collisions do make 'the headlines' round hereabouts, largely because the local press informs everyone when a particular road is closed by Police.....and, eventually, why. So that folk can make alternative arrangements.

Nothing to do with comparisons of statistics at all...merely observations, which come into focus when someone says, modern cars are safer..[than what?}

This is probably a big factor. A road death or serious collision is treated as a major event (and investigated as a possible crime), with reopening the road now of far lower priority.

Previously such an incident might well have been dealt with by sweeping up the debris and reopening the road ASAP.

Hence the impact on the general public, and how noticeable such events were was a lot more limited.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Spotted today in Warwick, no photos alas but two little Italian gems - the first a RHD '60s Fiat 500 in a lovely shade of creamy white with Abarth / Cromadora alloys sitting in a showroom we were visiting and on the way home a very spritely sounding RHD dark green early '70s Alfa 2000 Spider. La dolce vita and all that!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Spotted today in Warwick, no photos alas but two little Italian gems - the first a RHD '60s Fiat 500 in a lovely shade of creamy white with Abarth / Cromadora alloys sitting in a showroom we were visiting and on the way home a very spritely sounding RHD dark green early '70s Alfa 2000 Spider. La dolce vita and all that!

I wonder if that's the same dark green Alfa Spider that I've seen around Warwick and Leamington?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I wonder if that's the same dark green Alfa Spider that I've seen around Warwick and Leamington?

We didn't catch the reg' number, it was going a bit too quick(!), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same car. It was definitely a Series 2 with the Kamm tail and I did notice that the steel wheels were painted a darker shade of silver grey than normal.

• Like 2

I went for a walk today and was just in time to see this drive through the village where I live.

y4mQPPl-Q7XAuSGAstAFAKw6mke81HM_LeIFGOQ0

It's a 1963 Ford Galaxie, the car was waiting at some temporary traffic lights so I was able to talk to the driver.  It has a 289 small block V8, so 4.7 litres in new money.  Not as impressive as the 390 or 427 but it makes the appropriate muscle car noises.  I prefer the shape of the two-door hardtop as raced in 1960s saloon car meetings but I think it still looks good as a four-door.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Another contrast in front ends.

Seen at my local out of town shopping centre earlier this week.6793CB41-CDB8-431F-965B-873B98989AE6.thumb.jpeg.0b3b0748192891b92036d5091a1f4b97.jpeg

Hopefully one day (and with a LOT of work) I can get Dad's MM into that condition.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, johnlambert said:

t's a 1963 Ford Galaxie, the car was waiting at some temporary traffic lights so I was able to talk to the driver.  It has a 289 small block V8, so 4.7 litres in new money.  Not as impressive as the 390 or 427 but it makes the appropriate muscle car noises. 

Yet, back in 1963, the 'base' model Galaxy [cheapest option] had the Ford inline 6 200 cu.in motor....[3.3 litres]!  Almost the same engine as in my '67 Mustang..

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, peanuts said:

Todays offering from my deliverys basking in the sunshine 

20220616_140831.jpg

I’m going to have to divorce Mrs BB soon, the other day we saw a gorgeous red V12 bubbling through town and she said “I don’t like the shape of that” ……..45 years of training and she still comes out with stuff like that! 🤣

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

In Warwick this afternoon, it's going to auction soon....

Fabulous.

Hard to accept now that myself and three mates (we were all over 6 foot)  travelled from Hampshire to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone in my new white FIAT (in fact a Autobianchi) 500 Giardiniera around 1969. We loved the fold back sunroof and the fact that it had a slightly longer wheelbase than the saloon. Unlike the 500 in the picture the engine in this car was a flat twin to create more luggage space.

I really appreciated the wonderful simplicity of the design.

image.png.a8ccc39fee946f35986d28582edba3e7.png

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I’m going to have to divorce Mrs BB soon, the other day we saw a gorgeous red V12 bubbling through town and she said “I don’t like the shape of that” ……..45 years of training and she still comes out with stuff like that! 🤣

Marriages do require agreement on the key issues in life. Late first wife Deb and I agreed the world's most beautiful car was the Ferrari 250LM. She had watched David Piper's green version while still at primary skool!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Fabulous.

Hard to accept now that myself and three mates (we were all over 6 foot)  travelled from Hampshire to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone in my new white FIAT (in fact a Autobianchi) 500 Giardiniera around 1969. We loved the fold back sunroof and the fact that it had a slightly longer wheelbase than the saloon. Unlike the 500 in the picture the engine in this car was a flat twin to create more luggage space.

I really appreciated the wonderful simplicity of the design.

image.png.a8ccc39fee946f35986d28582edba3e7.png

Kind regards,

Richard B

There are some decent looking examples on car&classic at the moment but prices vary a bit, edging into Mini Cooper territory....

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1466170

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1427422

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1464626

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1413604

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1298121

This '66 1500 Pininfarina Coupe caught my eye just now though, it really floats my boat....

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1465642

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spotted on the M1 this afternoon, on the northbound side a lovely and very cheery looking red Triumph Herald convertible towing a 'flat pack' caravan, then barely 30 seconds later on the southbound side a tiny metallic red Fiat X1/9 going like the clappers.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Saw this super rare beast the other day , car behind it is also verare these days .

Shame they never made a 2 door avenger tiger 

20220614_101636.jpg

Sunbeam Ti is  a 2 door

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MJI said:

Sunbeam Ti is  a 2 door

Maybe they should have done a later performance avenger 1.6Ti . Mind I'm sure most of the public weren't aware that the sunbeam and avenger were essentially the same car thinking the avenger was substantially bigger 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, russ p said:

Maybe they should have done a later performance avenger 1.6Ti . Mind I'm sure most of the public weren't aware that the sunbeam and avenger were essentially the same car thinking the avenger was substantially bigger 

Very handy for spares i had an early Avenger gearbox in my Sunbeam

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Sunbeam used the same floorpan as the Avenger but was a hatchback instead of a saloon. The Avenger was designed as a four door and the two door came later, after the Tiger was in production.

• Agree 1

The nice weather brings out the convertibles. Here's one outside the beer store this morning:

IMG_5060.JPG.1e6e32694a6ebb9030b86f3994888708.JPG

Ford Galaxie 500. 390 cubic inch engine (6.4 litres). Going by the light arrangement, I think it's a 1968 model, but open to correction.

• Like 8