RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On 27/06/2022 at 13:46, Rugd1022 said:

Spotted in the car park at Broadway station this morning, it belongs to one of the G&W volunteers....

Weirdly, it's almost dwarfed by our 'little' Fiat 500....

Most older cars are dwarfed by anything modern...

Here's my Rover 3500 being eclipsed by a Renault Clio at work a while ago 🤨

d0nXH2w.jpg

Edited by Tofufi
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2022 at 17:04, great central said:

On my way home from work today, I think,  a Renault Dauphine on a 1965 C plate. No picture as I was driving. Very long time since I saw one of those.

I remember them in London in the 60’s when they were very popular with the mini cab brigade, I think it didn’t last long as the LCC stomped on them due to pressure from the London Cabbies as I recall.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I remember them in London in the 60’s when they were very popular with the mini cab brigade, I think it didn’t last long as the LCC stomped on them due to pressure from the London Cabbies as I recall.

There was a big hoo-hah at the time about the mini-cabs. IIRC some people who opposed the mini cabs made so many fake bookings that they couldn't make a profit. When the LCC was extended and became the GLC taxi operators were given a few years grace before they had to replace the ordinary passenger cars with proper black cabs and drivers who hadn't 'done the knowledge' were only allowed to ply for hire in their own local area.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I can remember a Fiat Supermirafiori (131) brand-new in  the works car park. Beautiful car, but the rust around the heater-bonnet grille was rusting at 12 weeks. Lancia Beta was very similar.

Lovely engines, if I recall. But the rust......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A lot of nice and rare cars there today, not as hot as I expected either... As an aside one of my fellow members of the Rover 200/400 club who were in attendance arrived there in his Longbridge Rover built Honda Ballade and they were trying to turn him away! Luckily common sense (and someone who knows their history!) prevailed and he was let in, I arrived 15 minutes later in our Concerto and obviously the word had got out because we were waved straight in!!

Did you try the beer? It was lovely!!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

More from Gaydon yesterday, including some inside the museum, every time I visit they seem to have had a good shuffle round of the exhibits....

IMG_3240.thumb.JPG.b7b89b88798c75d431ddc4b36f00fe2e.JPG

IMG_3244.thumb.JPG.0569896d3413e1836c466f28a8996954.JPG

IMG_3248.thumb.JPG.a7cd8531a31ab3a32141510e0e5d0ec8.JPG

IMG_3288.thumb.JPG.57126ecf26dd5a026887a994733228d5.JPG

Hi Nidge,  is that Wolesley 18-22 (you get wrong calling them princesses! ) on an M plate? If so makes it an early prototype 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, russ p said:

Hi Nidge,  is that Wolesley 18-22 (you get wrong calling them princesses! ) on an M plate? If so makes it an early prototype 

It has a “racing” steering wheel, so must be special 😉

Mate of mine bought one new, he was the laughing stock at work……in the Ford employee car park 😁

It was a lovely riding car, reminded me of the Maxi we used to tow our racer with, but he had loads of trouble with a leaking head gasket as I recall.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Yes it is Russ.

Some more oldies...

IMG_3407.thumb.JPG.7991a45eedb415b918bcecd476258c31.JPG

IMG_3490.thumb.JPG.fa980dbc57c95dcceff9ba9c53c2b1e2.JPG

IMG_3503.thumb.JPG.078fae6e95fa559b53807965fd6122d8.JPG

• Like 8

https://themarket.bonhams.com/en/listings/chrysler/imperial/96baa2e1-c0c3-451b-94b8-b49d012da30c?status=live

resize=900

Just the job for nipping to Tesco [or, Waitrose for the better-heeled amongst us?]...once a week for provisions ? [That's 'shopping' for the non-cognoscenti?]

My guess is, one would need at least 4 clear parking spaces [front /rear, side to side] just to annoy the uberpanzerwaggon electric drivers?

Tax free, but don't fill the fuel tank.... Tyres might be cheap?

Oily rag runner?

Do modern houses have driveways  long enough & wide enough to park this?

• Like 3

On 11/07/2022 at 10:22, Rugd1022 said:

More from Gaydon yesterday, including some inside the museum, every time I visit they seem to have had a good shuffle round of the exhibits....

IMG_3240.thumb.JPG.b7b89b88798c75d431ddc4b36f00fe2e.JPG

Properly, I believe it's the Wolsely Six, from the BLMC 18-22 series. My father's last car was one, HBE 161N. He didn't live for long enough to really find out how good or bad a car it was. At the age of 13 I thought it was luxurious. He'd previously been looking at Ford brochures, and I was impressed with the Consuls and Granadas, although he was put off by a belief that Ford's were notoriously poor starters. Says a lot for the British motor industry at the time. No wonder that Japan and Germany won that contest.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, great central said:

Another oldie, unseen for many years.

Must be pretty rare.

20220714_160128.thumb.jpg.7f170215f6e31ffb1bc324ac68e4fe69.jpg

7 minutes ago, peanuts said:

singer vogue ?

Hillman Super Minx estate, pretty rare nowadays. Ford Rostyle wheels, a common update on Rootes group cars as they used the same stud pattern.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Recently I've been working on some model kits started in my youth and never finished. 

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.aba93b2ae2de074e9fdd07357154f05f.JPG

IMG_0365.thumb.JPG.57b799afcd24d127b5693575d9d415b9.JPG

The Heller Mini Cooper just needed painting (actually I've left the body in the red-coloured plastic, because it won't look any better painted), while I'd only assembled the chassis of the BMW 320i Turbo.  Looking on eBay this Bandai kit might have been worth £35 even in part-built condition, but this was a Christmas present from my Uncle about 40 years ago, so I didn't think it right to just sell it.  The decals were a bit reluctant to leave the backing and I may have to paint some of the livery pattern instead (hey it's all practice).

• Like 5

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hillman Super Minx estate, pretty rare nowadays. Ford Rostyle wheels, a common update on Rootes group cars as they used the same stud pattern.

I had one of those once [albeit a red one].....very heavy car indeed...One of my cheapo bangers in the 1970's...Fuel consumption in the mid-20's...which was considered slightly on the high side back then.....not quite in the realms of Jagwar, suppin'...

Unfortunately  it didn't last long in my hands....it got rear-ended [well,rear quartered, actually] by an inattentive school teacher, whilst stationary waiting to turn right.

Slightly turned in the left rear quarter wing.....The metal was so thick, it was almost impossible to pull out.

I seem to think the teacher was driving something Japanese...which folded up like a failed origami exercise as a result.

I did carry on with my motoring for a while, but once the MoT expired, it needed repairing to pass...and the teacher's insurance had coughed up it's write-off value...[and didn't want the salvage as I recall, either]...

Motoring life was 'simpler' in those days...

Mind, those super Minx estates, if around today, could double their investment using airbnb.....so vast were they inside...

Tank-like to drive....

• Like 2

Well, nice surprise just now, a knock at the door..Fedex!

With a package ordered last Monday!   From RockAuto in the USA.

Overhaul kit for the '67 Mustang's factory power steering control unit, and also the ram, whilst I was at it.

Plus, a new rear brake flexi hose [just in case]

Part Number Part Type Price EACore EA Quantity Total

1967 FORD MUSTANG 3.3L 200cid L6

GATES 351650 Power Steering Control Valve Rebuild Kit (8708.94.9900) £ 18.18 £ 0.001 £ 18.18

GATES 351430 Power Steering Power Cylinder Rebuild Kit (8708.94.9900 )£ 8.26 £ 0.001 £ 8.26

RAYBESTOS BH36603 Brake Hose (4009.41.0000) £ 14.01 £ 0.001 £ 14.01

Shipping International Economy £ 20.01

VAT (20%)# GB 922956503 000 £ 12.09

Order Total £ 72.55

MasterCard -£ 72.55
(-USD$ 86.96)

Balance Due £ 0.00

Above is the 'bill'....from Rock Auto, USA.

Nothing more to pay...all VAt & duties paid up front to Fedex.

All very simple, and pleasingly painless.

[Unlike trying to order from Eurocarparts, for example?]

Below is a link to just one of the items purchased above..but from a UK  dealer.....

https://mustangmaniac.co.uk/part/64-70_Power_Steering_Ball_Stud_Repair/4370

If I had ordered that item, above, from the UK, at the same time, I would have received it yesterday......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_XMcmPu_H8&t=423s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8I_MQ8otoI

Above are two youtube links to Edd China's channel. covering [pretty much] the jobs I will be tackling whilst the weather is fine, after Monday.

[Mind, as a '67, my control valve unit can be unscrewed from the other gubbings, unlike the earlier Mustang's in the video.]

I could have linked numerous vidz from the USA covering the task...but it was nice to simply have it explained in English for a change.

0?ui=2&ik=8631afa05d&attid=0.1&permmsgid

Above is the reason I cannot start the work until after Monday!

Once Autoglass has finished!  The Muzzie is currently standing in as the daily-driver, doing the odd-job running around.

The above, courtesy of a cyclist with their head down.  Thankfully, after a bit of treatment, no permanent personal damage done, aside from soreness.

The road, typical of the sort of lane I drive most frequently on, is but a mere 10 r so feet wide....and the Suzuki doesn't quite fill it, so when I stopped to meet an oncoming gaggle of riders [I always do that on really narrow lanes....best for their safety if I'm not moving as well]....the poor lad behind, who had become separated from his companions who were in front of me, and had slowed to meet the above-mentioned oncoming group....had head-down trying to catch up...Bike undamaged, only damage being my rear window!

Plenty of expert help on hand, even though literally in the middle of the fields....Poor s@d came in for a load of ribbing from his chums....

All heading  to the same farm shop for ice cream, as were we [my son & I]...

Autoglass cheapest repair option, with the least hassle for me....just the 'excess' to pay, which is being sorted by the cyclist.

Other option was a 'scrap' rear door with intact glass....about 50 notes more than my glass excess, delivered...but I would still have the hassle of fitting it, and swapping over stuff like the wiper, lock, etc. Mind, it was the same colour......

Anyway, all trying to keep the whole thing ''off-piste'' .......at cyclist's request.  

I think they were all very surprised I didn't 'go off on one'.....

Interestingly, the glass is merely toughened glass, not laminated.  

The 'car' had tinted rear windows when I bought it...and the tinting material [stuck on the insides]...actually kept the busted glass together in one piece.

More or less.

No other damages sustained....except son-&-heir went into 'flap' mode, as he does when confronted with a surprise [Aspergers]

Bless him.

I suppose after Monday I'll have to keep the back window cleaner.....for a while?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1