RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

The Maxi may have been ahead of its time in the UK, but was essentially a de-quirked take on an interior layout pioneered in the Renault 16 using mechanicals scaled up from the mini/1100/1300.

We had three Maxis; the only car I've slept the night in (as advertised, the rear seats old flat to form a bed).  They were probably still my Dad's favourite cars for the low rear sill which was really excellent for throwing in (and more importantly getting out) something like a bag of cement without putting your back our lifting it over the sill.  The close-ratio 5-speed 'box made it brilliant for towing too, even if the actual power output wasn't that high.  Unfortunately the last one had repeated problems with the gearbox, getting stuck in a variety of gears at different times.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Though there weren't exactly lots of other 5 door hatchbacks introduced between the R16 and Maxi.

My point was that the Maxi didn't do anything the Renault 16 hadn't already been doing for four years when it was launched, and my suspicion has always been that the Maxi was "inspired" by it. 

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Northmoor said:

We had three Maxis; the only car I've slept the night in (as advertised, the rear seats old flat to form a bed).  They were probably still my Dad's favourite cars for the low rear sill which was really excellent for throwing in (and more importantly getting out) something like a bag of cement without putting your back our lifting it over the sill.  The close-ratio 5-speed 'box made it brilliant for towing too, even if the actual power output wasn't that high.  Unfortunately the last one had repeated problems with the gearbox, getting stuck in a variety of gears at different times.

The only car I've ever had that could be (and was) slept in comfortably was my little Renault 10. Just set either or both front seats right forward and fully reclined to produce a bed (with a luxurious padded headboard 😀) of one's desired size in seconds. Without a demonstration, most people didn't believe it possible in a car that size.

It was an absolute godsend when breaking a journey, arriving late at camp sites or in preference to the tent on a stormy night.

The beauty of it (and where it beat the larger R16* and Maxi) was that it didn't need the luggage removing first!

John 

* I think the seats in the 16 could do the same, though, at least on some models. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

The close-ratio 5-speed 'box made it brilliant for towing too, even if the actual power output wasn't that high.  Unfortunately the last one had repeated problems with the gearbox, getting stuck in a variety of gears at different times.

Yes it was a great car for towing things, kept right on going. Only trouble was that the performance didn't improve much (if at all) when the burden was unhitched. 🙄

I had wondered about the merits of the gearbox being in the sump - it did make oil changes even more important.

I did have one where the gearbox needed attention - I renewed the synchromech cones and a couple of shims, plus found that an idler shaft nut which was supposed to be done up to 150 ft-lb could be undone with the fingers - probably the cause of the wear to the shims. For course in those days the local dealer's head office parts department had all the bits in stock (not the local branches though; the gearbox was not that common a problem that the local branches kept parts in stock for it).

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, DIW said:

I had wondered about the merits of the gearbox being in the sump - it did make oil changes even more important.

The festive Christmas tree of metal shavings sticking to the sump plug on every oil change would suggest it wasn't the best idea.

I came across this photo yesterday of some rather nice looking 1/18th scale models - it's a good comparison of the relative sizes of the real XJ6, Mk2 Jag, Rolls Royce Silver Shadow and Phantom V, and it's easy to see why the Mk2 Jag was considered a 'compact saloon' in the '60s...

1015609711_MODS77_c81e8daa2d_b.jpg.1be865f1964dae782b78b13675ec6fe3.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2023 at 15:08, phil_sutters said:

There's more under the bonnet than you think! That's official!

Morris 1000 van RVS 947 28 1 2023 with reg no check.jpg

3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I wonder at how the chassis and suspension might cope with all those CCs?     👺

Morris Minor suspension can easily be upgraded using Marina/Ital components. Disc brakes and wider wheels would also be advisable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morris Minor suspension can easily be upgraded using Marina/Ital components. Disc brakes and wider wheels would also be advisable.

Yes but that would support the power of an up to 2-litre engine, not another 4.5 times that.........

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Yes but that would support the power of an up to 2-litre engine, not another 4.5 times that.........

There was a minor van running around localy some years ago with a rover 3.5 v8 under the hood .the owner had basicly grafted the whole front end from the doner sd1 onto the chassis .crossmember struts steering brakes disks master cylinder etc .all bolted & welded onto the moggy chasis .looked like a battered old PO van went like s#@t off a shovel 

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

13 minutes ago, peanuts said:

Does anybody have any idea what this is suspect its from something involving Gerry Anderson UFO ?

20230206_064810.jpg

Apparently according to this Flickr caption, it's the SHADO Jeep. Built in 1968 using a Mini Moke chassis, it was rescued from scrap in the Canary Islands and restored.

It's very forward thinking in its prediction of the future. It definitely has a 1990's/2000's people carrier look to it.

S.H.A.D.O. Jeep

Edited by 5 C
Typo.
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, 5 C said:

Apparently according to this Flickr caption, it's the SHADO Jeep. Built in 1968 using a Mini Moke chassis, it was rescued from scrap in the Canary Islands and restored.

It's very forward thinking in its prediction of the future. It definitely has a 1990's/2000's people carrier look to it.

S.H.A.D.O. Jeep

…”people carrier look”

As in pug ugly.

steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

It rather put me in mind of that Austin Ambassador based motorhome...

5305894117_e9c44ea5bb_b.jpg.5056c9b9a87890b6de54398f7c6b7d85.jpg

Is this actually an ambassador?  1994 engine capacity is right but can't see how you would use its suspension especially with 6 wheels 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, russ p said:

Is this actually an ambassador?  1994 engine capacity is right but can't see how you would use its suspension especially with 6 wheels 

Could be custom rear suspension with the hydragas capped off? The Metro used isolated hydragas displacers at the front.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

Could be custom rear suspension with the hydragas capped off? The Metro used isolated hydragas displacers at the front.

I certainly does but it seems a strange thing to base a motor home on 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ p said:

I certainly does but it seems a strange thing to base a motor home on 

I agree. If he'd used a Princess he could have had one with a 2.2 straight six which would be better for lugging that body around.