The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

had a Volvo 265 estate that was good as a sleeper externally paint dull lacquer peeling scruffy tatty bumpers  dirty alloys just looked rough on the outside .mechanically things were different turbo charged 2.8 v6 that had been tweaked somewhat (intercooler boost turned up re map )bilstein gas shocks stiffened springs poly bushes where i could.....

I got as far as converting the 635CSi to use the springs and dampers from the M635CSi, but - apart from acquiring a Bosch "061" ECU (which was remappable, unlike the original "011") and a later AFM - that's as far as things went before I sold the car.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My original minor was slowly upgraded over time, although keeping the 1098cc motor (but with a HIF44 on it, so it certainly got up and went!). The fronts had the lever arm disabled (take the valve out and fill with engine oil) and a pair of spax gas adjustables fitted. These were horrendous, even on their lowest setting they were far to stiff, so wouldn't use them again. In fact driving vans around for years with the standard lever arms upfront has shown that actually its the rear end that needs the teles, not the front....

The rear end had the lever arms removed and a bit of 2" angle iron bolted to the underside of the boot floor (with a curve to clear the diff). off this was hung two mini oil shockers, angled out towards the springs, at the same angle as the rear setup on the standard vans. This was the best thing that I ever did. The saloon went from being roll happy to being really controlled. I didn't quite get the setup right, as when I had rear passengers she would start banging around (probably still catching the diff). I found the angle in the garage the other day, and as I have another saloon again, I'm toying with doing something similar again, although I will go with having the shockers slightly more upright, and the angle inside the car.

Can you fit midget hubs to the somerset? if so you can fit the disc braked spridget hubs to the front....

Andy G

Edited by uax6

Now this is body roll, as the ex owner of several Dyane's in the past I can confirm that this perfectly normal. ...

I dunno. The Ro80 could display some comedy roll angles, but that was partly because the suspension travel was much longer than most other cars.

• Like 3

The good old simple Morris Marina rolled a bit.  Other than the roll, the one I had for a year (1.8 HL) wasn't too bad otherwise.

Not alot to stop it rolling !!!.

ado28dev_07.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1

Just to make Horsetan jealous look what Keith Adams has just acquired:

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/blogs/blog-going-french-mais-oui/

To buy one CX these days is lucky; to be able to buy two looks like carelessness. They're both Series 1 cars. Wing panels are about £350 a side....

One of the biggest assets of the CX world (and one of its biggest downsides) is the German parts business known as CX Basis. They've basically bought up all the NOS spares stocks, and have been profiteering for years.

Now this is body roll, as the ex owner of several Dyane's in the past I can confirm that this perfectly normal. The worrying thing is I have a real urge to revisit my mispent motoring youth. This was my favourite https://www.flickr.com/photos/28630680@N06/2886384394/in/album-72157607475027734/

attachicon.gif2cv-31.jpg

It's well known that the only cornering limit on 2CV derivatives is the point at which the outside door handles dig into the road surface and slow you down ;).

Re. the Somerset. He's dropped his starting price to £1650. No bids yet.

I think I'll contact him on the last day and maybe make a low offer

• Like 4

Now this is body roll, as the ex owner of several Dyane's in the past I can confirm that this perfectly normal. The worrying thing is I have a real urge to revisit my mispent motoring youth. This was my favourite https://www.flickr.com/photos/28630680@N06/2886384394/in/album-72157607475027734/

attachicon.gif2cv-31.jpg

One of the mechanics at the garage I use has rebuilt one of these; his latest project is a DS.

The 2CV and its derivatives roll alarmingly- I had a Renault 4 that was almost as bad. It had been re-engined with a 1275 (or similar) engine, which meant it went like the clappers. A real 'Q-Ship' of a car.

Both the Citroen and Renaults would make alarming noises when cornering- something like a distressed donkey. I reckon this was to make French farmers feel at home.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Premium

Some people are huge fans of the 2CV and I am still trying to work out why.

I fully understand the love of the DS and why the CX was so popular, but the 2CV no.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Interesting fact about the Renault 4, the wheelbase on one side was 2 cm longer than on the other. This was because of the rear torsion bars being traversley mounted one in front of the other with the swing arms being fixed to the ends of the torsion bar.

I had a Renault 4 that was almost as bad.

My sister had a Renault 4. She once parked half on the pavement and had difficulty getting the tailgate to open. It wouldn't shut at all until she moved it onto level road.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting fact about the Renault 4, the wheelbase on one side was 2 cm longer than on the other. This was because of the rear torsion bars being traversley mounted one in front of the other with the swing arms being fixed to the ends of the torsion bar.

My Renault 4 was so boring on motorways that I missed the M62/M1 junction one night, I went out and bought a Moto-Guzzi 850 Le-Mans to make the commute more exciting.

• Like 2

Same on several Renaults, including the 6 and 16. I drove my parents' friend's 16 quite a lot after he died, and quite liked it column shift and all.

Ed

• Like 2

Some people are huge fans of the 2CV and I am still trying to work out why.

The Deux Chevaux is the post-WW2 French idea of basic motoring and it doesn't pretend to be anything more than what it is - cheap to build and simple to maintain. It's got an engine, a wheel at each corner, and it can seat at least four. In this day and age of blandly aerodynamic design, its looks are even more distinctive in harking back to a less complicated era.

Oddly enough, one of the reasons why it was eventually phased out was because its engine couldn't meet tighter emissions requirements and wasn't really designed for unleaded petrol.

I fully understand the love of the DS and why the CX was so popular, but the 2CV no.

Citroen designed their range to be "something for everyone", whether you were wealthy, or an executive with a family, or on a budget. Don't forget also the Dyane, the Ami 6 (the car with eyebrows and a C-pillar that looked like a plutocrat's luxury yacht), the GS/GSA, as well as the other classics.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My first post-grad job was in an engineering works that had belonged to a M Jean Dagonet who made lightweight 2CVs in the 50s (indeed the freehold still belonged to his son, Hubert).

Takes some believing, but he actually managed to make them lighter than standard to take them on rallies. I'm not sure how many were built but there were still a few parts hanging around in the old mill building in the early 80s. A limited edition 1:43 model was issued by one of the model manufacturers in the early 90s.

It's quite difficult for us to imagine these days how backward much of rural France was in the 50s and 60s. The 2CV was perfect basic transport for the prevailing conditions. I prefer them  to the 4L (my then partner had one) although Renault must have done something right as they built and sold 4 million of them, against only about 2 million 2CVs.

One of those high-end Alfas pictured recently looks suspiciously as though it may have got its headlights from the Ami 6 parts bin. Not pretty!

• Like 4

I once owned a secondhand Renault 20 that had softish suspension but I soon got used to it. Being the driver, I had the steering wheel to hold on to, it was a bit less comfortable going round sharp bends for the passengers who had to brace themselves somewhat. Even so, I loved it. It was like driving an armchair. Part of the equipment was a space in the boot for storing skis. I don't think I was in their target market. Unfortunately it was the only car I have owned that broke a helical spring on the front suspension, fortunately whilst driving slowly at the time. And that was when I found the big drawback as an owner of such cars, big bills. There was difficulty getting spares and they were not cheap. A favourite was the engine management "computer" that I think I tried every Renault dealer in the country without luck. Eventually the Ford dealership in my village got one from France. It was the big bills that did it for me and I got rid a while later. Would I have another? Absolutely, if parts were cheaper and easy to get hold of.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My first post-grad job was in an engineering works that had belonged to a M Jean Dagonet who made lightweight 2CVs in the 50s (indeed the freehold still belonged to his son, Hubert).

Takes some believing, but he actually managed to make them lighter than standard to take them on rallies. I'm not sure how many were built but there were still a few parts hanging around in the old mill building in the early 80s. A limited edition 1:43 model was issued by one of the model manufacturers in the early 90s.

It's quite difficult for us to imagine these days how backward much of rural France was in the 50s and 60s. The 2CV was perfect basic transport for the prevailing conditions. I prefer them  to the 4L (my then partner had one) although Renault must have done something right as they built and sold 4 million of them, against only about 2 million 2CVs.

One of those high-end Alfas pictured recently looks suspiciously as though it may have got its headlights from the Ami 6 parts bin. Not pretty!

Probably because Renault fitted a car engine rather than not the best example of a flat twin (see BMW)

• Like 2