The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

With the mention of caravans a bit back reminded me of this.

I was actually real but this clip is from a TV show

I don't like to rate that as "funny" because it certainly was not to the caravan's owner.

But being honest, I did laugh.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some years back I was driving down the A38 (by then already a good dual-carriageway road) getting near Buckfastleigh when a big Rover towing a caravan shot past me at a rate of knots doing well over 60; the 'van was yawing all over the place.  I said to Mrs Stationmaster that I hoped he had a good stabiliser on his tow because if he went round the curves approaching Buckfastleigh that fast he would probably be doing most of them sideways.

As we got to the first of the curves there he was on the verge with the car still upright (more or less) but the caravan very definitely wasn't upright and I suspect the tow might have parted or partly given way.  Big surprise (not)

Better that the tow gives way than that it tips the car over as well. That's what happened just in front of me on the A303 a few years back.

As cars get more and more powerful, I often see trailers and caravans at speeds in excess of 80mph, one recently doing close to 100mph. Do the drivers not know how feeble the wheel bearings are on most trailers? Or do they simply forget that they have something hooked on the back?

• RMweb Premium

Better that the tow gives way than that it tips the car over as well. That's what happened just in front of me on the A303 a few years back.

As cars get more and more powerful, I often see trailers and caravans at speeds in excess of 80mph, one recently doing close to 100mph. Do the drivers not know how feeble the wheel bearings are on most trailers? Or do they simply forget that they have something hooked on the back?

I'm afraid its the effect of better noise insulation and engines that all seem to be turning out 100bhp+. The wifes Galaxy I find difficult to drive, as I can't hear the engine, and can you hear an emergency vehicle? No. I bet they can't feel them, unless their detachable towbar is worn...

I think its time power levels were reduced, my minors have about 35-45 BHP+ (on a good day, downhill) and I can still get upto 70mph if I need to. Why down family cars need such powerful engines?

Andy G

• Like 1

I'm afraid its the effect of better noise insulation and engines that all seem to be turning out 100bhp+. The wifes Galaxy I find difficult to drive, as I can't hear the engine, and can you hear an emergency vehicle? No. I bet they can't feel them, unless their detachable towbar is worn...

I think its time power levels were reduced, my minors have about 35-45 BHP+ (on a good day, downhill) and I can still get upto 70mph if I need to. Why down family cars need such powerful engines?

Andy G

Andy,

it's all about marketing to people who like showing off - "my so and so is bigger than yours".

Why else do yummy mummies drive Chelsea Tractors, sales reps drive BMWs or Audis rather than Fords or Nissans? Young men who can't afford those go for lowered Citroens and Honda's with a 1000 watts of thumping noise, so they hope they will be noticed.

Just human nature really, as with people who need to have a collection of 200 plus locos to feel good.

Jol

Godzill verus the red Cortina,https://www.flickr.com/photos/mauretania/30416045734/in/pool-brblue/ Leeds but caption gives no clues to what the event was but its circa '78, pretty sure the two red Cortina's are just coincidence. Parked one is an S plate, passing one is a T. Plenty of press and one copper who appears to be arresting the brown T rex for eating a Saab 99. I'd take the silver Granada on the kerb. Oh just to say the rest of the site is pretty good too.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Godzill verus the red Cortina,https://www.flickr.com/photos/mauretania/30416045734/in/pool-brblue/ Leeds but caption gives no clues to what the event was but its circa '78, pretty sure the two red Cortina's are just coincidence. Parked one is an S plate, passing one is a T. Plenty of press and one copper who appears to be arresting the brown T rex for eating a Saab 99. I'd take the silver Granada on the kerb. Oh just to say the rest of the site is pretty good too.

If you put that on a layout they'd think your having a joke.

A chap I know is a car restorer and as I was going to be in his part of the world at the weekend I arranged to drop in to see what he had in the workshop.

The workshop is rather cramped and the lighting not that powerful, so my apologies for the quality of the photographs.

Start with a Packard. I find this an ugly brute. But rather impressive.

post-149-0-43580300-1490608379.jpg

The mascot is rather smart.

post-149-0-08990900-1490608444.jpg

The interior

post-149-0-55244300-1490608407.jpg

There is another example but in a less advanced state.

post-149-0-99836200-1490608533.jpg

More to follow.

Bernard

• Like 11

On Saturday on the A41 heading towards Elstree, the unmistakable shape of a white Citroen CX DTR T2 drew up behind my car in traffic. Not only that, but it happened to be none other than "G83 XWK" - the 175,000-mile car sold at the beginning of 2016 by its original owner in Whitley Bay for £2000. Bradley James, the classic car trader, had given it no more than a wash and a polish before selling it on (after about eight months on its books) for £5000. I looked at the present driver / owner in my rear view mirror, and thought: "If you knew how much you'd overpaid for that car, you wouldn't be so happy...."

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

To continue.

An Alfa Romeo.

I can't give chapter and verse on the technical details as I know little about such matters.

I am told that they are highly sort after and change hands for serious money.

More like the cost of a house than a car in some cases, with a good engine fetching £100k.

The engine in this one is not the original as that was too far gone for rebuilding.

I think the engine now fitted has two more cylinders than the correct engine.

There are a few other detail differences from the original which lower the value, but it is a case of making the best possible restoration using parts that are available.

Hard to get it all in but it gives an impression of the general style and shape.

post-149-0-56308700-1490641585.jpg

The interior.

post-149-0-42516400-1490641600.jpg

The power unit.

post-149-0-96760600-1490641620.jpg

I would love to have a go when it is finished.

Bernard

• Like 10

Just found this thread. Nothing better than taking a Sunny Sunday afternoon trip to Donington Park or Silverstone and watching some classic vintage racing:

18167616818_ed62885fe9_c.jpg

Clive Morley in the iconic Bentley 3/4 1/2 by Timothy Young, on Flickr

16893876806_ab7f207a6b_c.jpg

Stéphane Gutzwiller in the classic livered Chevron by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Or even the somewhat less sunny days:

8802696986_a2e2580bb0_c.jpg

David Abbott in the Arrows A4 by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Going to my first Dragstalgia event at Santa Pod in the summer, should be a good one.

• Like 7

To finish off a Talbot.

While I was there the owner of this machine arrived and it was wheeled out of the workshop and fired up.

The sound of it turning over to start was more like a flying circular saw cutting RHS than a normal car engine.

After a few minutes ticking over in the yard the owner set of to drive it home.

It truly is a work of art as well as an example of a superb restoration job and looks absolutely magnificent.

It also gets seriously used and has been to the Alps fairly recently.

post-149-0-88484200-1490642182.jpg

post-149-0-14267200-1490642218.jpg

post-149-0-81864100-1490642232.jpg

Note the rally timing equipment.

post-149-0-94514200-1490642260.jpg

Bernard

• Like 14

To continue.

An Alfa Romeo.

I can't give chapter and verse on the technical details as I know little about such matters.

I am told that they are highly sort after and change hands for serious money.

More like the cost of a house than a car in some cases, with a good engine fetching £100k.

The engine in this one is not the original as that was too far gone for rebuilding.

I think the engine now fitted has two more cylinders than the correct engine.

There are a few other detail differences from the original which lower the value, but it is a case of making the best possible restoration using parts that are available.

Hard to get it all in but it gives an impression of the general style and shape.

The interior.

attachicon.gif1-DSC_0723.JPG

Nice photos of this, the Packard and Talbot. Note the throttle pedal between the clutch and brake pedals on the Alfa.

I would love to have a go when it is finished.

Bernard

Me too!

• Like 1