The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

A Couple of interesting conversions appeared on Facebook over the last few days. First was a 4X4 conversion of an ex GPO Morris JB van, apparently using Austin Gypsy bits making it a virtual 'bolt on job'. The second was an estate car conversion of a four door 100E Prefect, done in the same style as a Farnham conversion of the larger Consul/Zephyr/Zodiac.

That's spot on what I get with the Rover and I've even been at a set of lights on a two lane road with me in the left hand lane with nothing behind me and about ten cars in the right hand lane. its at this point that I get the devil in me as even though the car is a 1949 model with a long stroke engine its still a 2.1lt  six cylinder and very low geared so it can hold its own against a great many unsuspecting modern cars up to about 45mph. I'm often already sat at the next set  of light laughing my head off as about ten drivers at least half of them now behind me pull up with looks of disbelief on there faces. Baiting the modern drivers is one of my favorite past times

Pah, that's nothing!

Try doing it in an Optare Metrorider 23 seater minibus!

I won.

• Like 3

Don't know if this happens much  with cars in the UK, but I refer to the dreaded 'check engine' light on the dashboard.  Every so often it remains on and causes fearful thoughts of imminent problems.  So you dutifully take it to the garage who tell you they can't find anything wrong.    All goes well until after a few months or so, it reappears and eventually goes out and all's well again.  In the end you give up so the light comes on every so often and you take no notice of it.  Not what the manufacturer intended!

Brian.

Don't know if this happens much  with cars in the UK, but I refer to the dreaded 'check engine' light on the dashboard.  Every so often it remains on and causes fearful thoughts of imminent problems.  So you dutifully take it to the garage who tell you they can't find anything wrong.    All goes well until after a few months or so, it reappears and eventually goes out and all's well again.  In the end you give up so the light comes on every so often and you take no notice of it.  Not what the manufacturer intended!

Brian.

All the time. My sister in law bought a Fiesta brand new in the mid 90's. After the last free service the engine warning light came on. She took it back to the dealer, they found nothing wrong & turned the light off. A few weeks later it came back on, this time she ignored it. My wife then bought the car when it was three years old. The light stayed on. Four years later we gave it to our daughter. The light stayed on. Two years on she sold the car to a friend who worked in a garage. He plugged it into the computer at work & simply turned the light off again!! I did the normal regular servicing on the car through its life with us & it ran fine!

More recently my son has bought an RX-8 & now a Saab 9-3, both of which had the engine management light come on within a week or so of him buying the car. His mate who manages a garage plugged them both into the computer & both gave some ridiculous fault code that had nothing to do with the engine so they simply turned it off on both occasions!

Edited by keefr2

post-13505-0-27139600-1436635727.jpg

Found this gorgeous beauty sleeping in the Anglesey Transport Museum. My late father had one and I took my test in it. 4086 cc sidevalve engine, and a 55 foot turning circle. My examiner asked me to do a 3 point turn in a small road. Needless to say, it couldn't be done. Still passed me though as I demonstrated that I knew the car couldn't do it. Wish I still had it.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Just looking through my library of my many road vehicle pictures and came across this old favourite.

A quite rare Austin A35 Pick Up

I think they were around in fifties from memory, my local brewery Joules of Stone had one as I remember.

I think I read somewhere that there was only a very small production run.

Eltel

post-2180-0-86058500-1436637438_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Like the Chevette, the Cavalier design was the work of Opel. VM lost responsibility for car design to their German counterpart which caused a certain amount of ill feeling within their ranks, or so I found when the Opel and Vauxhall commercial divisions were amalgamated in 1981. At least they still retain a UK manufacturing presence unlike FoMoCo.