The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

If modern motors were restricted in BHP to something sensible (Say 100BHP) with gearing that prevented speeds in excess of 90mph, and the removal of the things that make modern motorist feel invincible, then I think a lot of accidents would stop happening....

Taking the soundproofing out would do it. People think their modern car is standing still at 70mph when really it's just quiet. Physics is still the same and there's the exciting prospect of decelerating to a complete stop in the length of your bonnet.

At a closing speed of 100mph (two cars doing 50), you have time to think to yourself "bloody hell, what do I do now", then the next you know is when someone says "it's OK, we'll get you out"! I think there was also time to slam on the brakes too, as I'm still here! And that was in a 1982 XR3 where you could hear and feel what was going on outside!

Taken by a mate in Coventry last week... what could possibly be more exotic, glamorous or completely and utterley fabulous in the soggy Midlands rain than an orange Lamborghini Miura...?

DSCFA500_zpsgtvigb4z.jpg

(*** and the correct answer is.... two orange Lamborghini Miuras ;) *** )

• Like 4

They did make those with notch-back and estate bodies as well as the "beetle-back". If you google "standard Vanguard" and look at images, there is a photo of DCP 7 that shows the side a little better.

Ed

Just checked on DVLA, it's 1952. Standard merged with Triumph, eventually became part of BL, not part of Rootes Group.

Ed

The last time I tried to read my Glass's Index I made a mess of it, so here's a more careful reading.  DCP 7, Halifax, Nov 1952. By the start of 1953 the numbers had reached 107 and this issue stopped in the July of that year.

I hope that's correct.

The last time I tried to read my Glass's Index I made a mess of it, so here's a more careful reading.  DCP 7, Halifax, Nov 1952. By the start of 1953 the numbers had reached 107 and this issue stopped in the July of that year.

I hope that's correct.

Please can you do me a favour and look up 5021 ED? It should be a 1961? Jag in Warrington.

Ed

Please can you do me a favour and look up 5021 ED? It should be a 1961? Jag in Warrington.

Ed

Sorry, nothing for that number, could be a "private" plate and in any case this guide only deals with letters and numbers and not  actual vehicles. That would be the DVLA's domain.

• Like 1

5021 ED:

Vehicle details could not be found

Vehicle details could not be found as it has not been possible to locate the vehicle details, your enquiry cannot proceed and has been cancelled. If you want to check the vehicle record held by DVLA...

Please contact vehicle enquiries:

• Phone:
    0300 790 6802
  • Like 1

Sorry guys. Yes it is a private plate. It's mine, and it's been on my MG since 1977. In about 1974 a friend acquired the Jag with the plate and gave me the number. It was easy to do back then with the old log books. I just wanted to double check the original issue, my understanding is Warrington in approx 1961, assuming it went on the Jag from new.

Ed

The unique back profile seemed different somehow but the DVLA should know.

Hahahahaha...!! 

Sorry about that, but over 25 years of working there proved to me that that is far from true...!! (but to be fair, in the majority of cases they can only input to the system the information people tell them - which in a large number of cases isn't exactly correct (or even truthful!!))

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry guys. Yes it is a private plate. It's mine, and it's been on my MG since 1977. In about 1974 a friend acquired the Jag with the plate and gave me the number. It was easy to do back then with the old log books. I just wanted to double check the original issue, my understanding is Warrington in approx 1961, assuming it went on the Jag from new.

Ed

Hi Ed,

It is a Warrington registration, issued 1960 onwards, see link http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/ed.htm

HTH

Moxy

• RMweb Premium

Ed

ED, a Warrington mark issued between October 1960 and August 1964. 1960 1000-1345, 1961 1346-3009, 1962 3010-4734, 1963 4735-6782 and 1964 6783-9999. The first 999 numbers were preserved for motorcycles.

Edited by PhilJ W

had the pleasure of viewing this  beauty today before it was taken back to its owner after a bit of bodywork care miami vice theme in my head instantly 

6073491F-10A7-468F-9171-F666066FE0D9.jpg

shame is i didnt get time to take pics like this with her 

FCEDEAB9-F267-41B1-976B-2E8C2494C80B.jpg

• Like 5

Just two more I've found to go with the last post.

From the final picture in the last post with the Rover sat on the M&GNR track bed by turning around you can see the trackbed somewhat overgrown but still passable as a foot and cycle path heading off towards Caister camp station there's even a few sleepers still in situ on this section.

attachicon.gifTrack bed from Caister.jpg

Final picture of a man and his machine in perfect harmony - what a hansom beast..... Nice car too!

attachicon.gifMe and my car.jpg

Thanks for looking. Steve

Edit I'm thinking of starting a blog with views of the eastern end of the old M&GNR track bed from Yarmouth to say North Walsham if anyone is interested and who know maybe further if that works out OK.

Caister station stood where the row of new houses now stand at the corner of Manor Road, the old house opposite is still called Station House (I think, not looked at it recently). I have a caravan on one of the sites on Manor Road, got home from there earlier this evening.

Can't say I've found the sleepers you mention, must look harder next time. Haven have recently been scraping the tops off the dunes, no idea why, maybe they intend putting vans on the top like the ones on the Seashore site? Must be a premium position on top of the dunes but when there's a good easterly blowing they'll need to be well anchored.

I took a few photos a year or two back of the trackbed from around the lifeboat station down as far as where it disappears under the North Denes (Seashore)caravan site.

I have them somewhere on an external HD but as we now run IE I can't get the thumbnails big enough to see what they are :ireful:

• Like 3