Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

New Heljan 33/0s have arrived

Trains4U

• RMweb Premium
On 20/12/2023 at 17:54, Halvarras said:

I wonder if the confusion over the modified exhausts for the last few Class 33/0s partly stems from the Class 33/2 build following closely behind the 33/0 but these retained the original exhaust, which on the face of it seems illogical. One explanation might be that the 'Slim Jim' redesign caused BRCW so much trouble (to put it mildly - some sources say these 12 locos were partly responsible for the demise of the company) that they just couldn't accept another complication being thrown in on top as the redesign work must have been done and dusted by then. Of course they were modified later, along with the rest.

Conjecture on my part though.

PS I have Kernow's D6583 as well.

May I ask what end lights it should have?

Mine's arrived this morning; decent Auction purchase and works fine.

Route Indicator boxes light up but there is nothing else, either on DC or now that I've fitted a Decoder (latter was easy for a change). I've not checked the decoder ability other than L that switches the Indicators.

There is no description on any of the Paperwork other than the mentioning Indicator ones as far as I can see.

I'm also a bit dim so can't tell if the Exhaust it comes with is what it should have (not that I'm that fussed).

Sorry to be a bother.

Phil

4 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

May I ask what end lights it should have?

Mine's arrived this morning; decent Auction purchase and works fine.

Route Indicator boxes light up but there is nothing else, either on DC or now that I've fitted a Decoder (latter was easy for a change). I've not checked the decoder ability other than L that switches the Indicators.

There is no description on any of the Paperwork other than the mentioning Indicator ones as far as I can see.

I'm also a bit dim so can't tell if the Exhaust it comes with is what it should have (not that I'm that fussed).

Sorry to be a bother.

Phil

The original '33's were delivered without tail lights .

There were 2 white marker lights and the headcode .

The headcodes either end could show 2 red blinds to act as a tail light .Don't know if the few mainline registered examples which run today are different. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

The headcodes either end could show 2 red blinds to act as a tail light .Don't know if the few mainline registered examples which run today are different. 

That explains that. Thank you very much.

Phil.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

That explains that. Thank you very much.

Phil.

Additionally, many of the marker lights were painted over, or even panelled over (accident repairs?), and were removed on the 33/1 conversions. 

In short, the Heljan models only show white lights in the leading headcode panel, depending on the direction it is going, and also on what paper headcodes are fitted - obviously if you have the two red blanks fitted it will show red. Something to bear in mind is that the real lighting was very dim, using standard incandescent bulbs, so Heljan actually have this right.

I have considered modifying the lighting on the 33/1 models I use for push-pull work with the Kernow 4 TC units to allow me to switch on red tail lights at the trailing end when propelling the units, using red LEDs and using the white blanks in the headcodes. I haven't done this yet, but that newer 21-pin circuit board looks as if it might make such a modification easier. Unfortunately, none of the nine class 33s I own have the newer setup.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2023 at 15:03, Albie the plumber said:

The two lower marker lights were actually built with a red lens that would cover the marker lights. There is a small knob next to each one that moved the lens over the light.

A fair amount were removed or painted over.

• Like 1