New Heljan 33/0s have arrived

Trains4U

All my Heljan stock (a Hymek,a clayton, a couple of 1000's, a Brush Type 4, a Class 26 and a 33) run brilliantly. Fine slow speed control and more pulling power than you'd need. Only the Clayton is a bit "grumbly" in terms of noise, the rest are very quiet.

Seconded.

My loco collection numbers over 40 now (I know I could have lots more, but I'm still picky! even with a shop full at trade price!) and nearly half are Heljan - 58s, westerns, lots of 47s and 33s, plus a couple of Falcons and a Kestrel.

All run superbly.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nope, roof will still be the later modified version as Heljan have repeated stated they will not be retooling the 33/0 to either correct the profile or backdate it to as built condition.

And as for the annually trotted out argument that some of the last Cromptons to be built/delivered had the revised exhaust and roof arrangements from new NO THEY DID NOT. Mod's started late 1960's some years after the last one had been built but it doesn't stop the same tired old myth being re-aired periodically.

And as for the annually trotted out argument that some of the last Cromptons to be built/delivered had the revised exhaust and roof arrangements from new NO THEY DID NOT. Mod's started late 1960's some years after the last one had been built but it doesn't stop the same tired old myth being re-aired periodically.

Hi,

Sorry John but I don't think you're correst.

We have clear photo evidence of a plain green Crompton with revised exhaust

It's obviously not ex works.

It hasn't been modified in the same way as later ones that appeared in 68 - namely roof clips and radiator panels

Other Cromptons shopped between building and 68 and retaining the original exhaust acquired yellow panels - the one photo'd clearly hasn't - why.

There are other photos which if correctly dated show show plain green ones with revised exhausts in 64.

At the moment there's little evidence to suggest anything other than that a batch with numbers in the mid 80's did get built with revised exhausts.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Hi,

Sorry John but I don't think you're correst.

We have clear photo evidence of a plain green Crompton with revised exhaust

It's obviously not ex works.

It hasn't been modified in the same way as later ones that appeared in 68 - namely roof clips and radiator panels

Other Cromptons shopped between building and 68 and retaining the original exhaust acquired yellow panels - the one photo'd clearly hasn't - why.

There are other photos which if correctly dated show show plain green ones with revised exhausts in 64.

At the moment there's little evidence to suggest anything other than that a batch with numbers in the mid 80's did get built with revised exhausts.

Cheers

Stu

Correct, the last few of the standard (ie not Hastings) batch had the revised exhaust, apparently from new. Plate 39 in 'Power of the 33s' shows D6583 thus fitted in original livery, photo dated October 1963.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

There is a picture on page 45 of The Early Years Of London Diesels by Micheal Welch showing two unidentified Cromptons, one with the revised exhaust arrangement. It is in plain green, the photo is dated 'sometime in 1962'. If you get a magnifying glass on it, the last digit of the number is 5, so this is probably D6585. The picture is of the Cliffe-Uddingston cement train with 31 Silver Queens and 2 brakevans in the consist.

Cheers for now, Ian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just been given one of the new 33/1's, and it has the various under-buffer-beam pipes pre-fitted. They don't appear to want to come of easily, so does anyone know if they are glued in, or if they are removable to fit the T/L couplings?

Cheers,

Nick

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I need to buy a new Heljan Class 33 because the motor or printed circuit board of my original one doesn't work properly under DCC - the loco runs (in one direction only) even when the controller is set to off...! (It's not the decoder, which works fine in a Hymek)

The model is the from the first batch of 33/0 in green with FYE. This has a red buffer beam, as I would expect. However, looking at the Hattons photos of the latest models, the "current" version D6563 in green with FYE http://www.ehattons.com/33097/Heljan_3381_Class_33_0_D6563_in_BR_Green_with_full_yellow_ends_/StockDetail.aspx has a black buffer beam. Is this correct, as I can't find any ex-works photos of that livery to check against? If there were green 33/0 locos with black buffer beams I might buy the BR Blue 33045 and swop bodies depending on the period I'm running. If not I could buy 33029 in WCR livery http://www.ehattons.com/27018/Heljan_3371_Class_33_0_33029_Glen_Loy_in_West_Coast_Railways_livery_/StockDetail.aspx as this has a red buffer beam and sell the body on.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by brushman47544

Why not give Howes of OXford (Heljan UK Distributor) a call and see if they can supply a new PCB? Cheaper than a new loco. Also the Buffer beams can be unclipped (or rather pulled out) of the chassis blocks, if you need to do a Buffer Bea swap. Cheaper to seeif you cna get a new PBC though!

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Hi guys, I just recieved a Heljan train pack with 6584 and four 22 tin class B tank wagons for my birthday :)

The set comes with a bewildering back of bits to fit including what looks like exhausters for the loco.

Can anyone guide me on fitting these bits please, no instructions in the pack at all!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2010 at 20:19, robertcwp said:

Correct, the last few of the standard (ie not Hastings) batch had the revised exhaust, apparently from new. Plate 39 in 'Power of the 33s' shows D6583 thus fitted in original livery, photo dated October 1963.

I'm sorry that Mr Upton can be rather 'stubborn' about accepting someone else's correct Comments despite evidence!

Don't know why.

I'm responding years late as I've just acquired a D6583 and was just reading about it here.

Is it very noticeable that the exhaust on '83 as supplied, is incorrect? I'm not a Diesel Rivet Counter and it will only run very occasionally on a private layout! Thanks.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'm sorry that Mr Upton can be rather 'stubborn' about accepting someone else's correct Comments despite evidence!

Don't know why.

I'm responding years late as I've just acquired a D6583 and was just reading about it here.

Is it very noticeable that the exhaust on '83 as supplied, is incorrect? I'm not a Diesel Rivet Counter and it will only run very occasionally on a private layout! Thanks.

Phil

There is a blast from the past! I had forgotten about this. There is absolutely no doubt about the revised exhaust being there from new on the last few 'standard' 33s (ie not Hastings ones).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

There is a blast from the past! I had forgotten about this. There is absolutely no doubt about the revised exhaust being there from new on the last few 'standard' 33s (ie not Hastings ones).

Thanks Rob. 

That exhaust; is it some sort of obvious difference, or minor detail, do you know?

Thanks.

Phil

10 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks Rob. 

That exhaust; is it some sort of obvious difference, or minor detail, do you know?

Thanks.

Phil

Very obvious if you know what to look for.

D6583 later exhaust:

5447741357_c1f333a4de_c.jpgD6583_Merstham_4-5-68 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

D6541 original exhaust:

2577751383_08cde31ee7_c.jpgD6541_WortingJunction_c1967 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

D6535 original exhaust:

28373077300_44f0be21cc_c.jpgD6535_May-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The original was closer to the cab and there was a kind of box with a deep groove around it.

Edited by robertcwp
Add a bit.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if the confusion over the modified exhausts for the last few Class 33/0s partly stems from the Class 33/2 build following closely behind the 33/0 but these retained the original exhaust, which on the face of it seems illogical. One explanation might be that the 'Slim Jim' redesign caused BRCW so much trouble (to put it mildly - some sources say these 12 locos were partly responsible for the demise of the company) that they just couldn't accept another complication being thrown in on top as the redesign work must have been done and dusted by then. Of course they were modified later, along with the rest.

Conjecture on my part though.

PS I have Kernow's D6583 as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1