Bachmann 20t Grain hoppers

Michael Delamar

My five, renumbered with Modelmaster transfers, now awaiting weathering, but that may be awhile, as WA's winter has decided to arrive!

post-294-0-09142600-1434804359_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-36964800-1434804396_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-45943500-1434804436_thumb.jpg

The Bachmann printing is very easily removed with 'Brasso' on a cotton bud, leaving a nice gloss surface for the transfer.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One little thing I have noticed is that there is a step amidships on both sides whereas all the prototype photographs I have so far managed to find show one only on the side with the inspection hatch and discharge wheel.

This seems logical as having one on the plain side would provide access to absolutely nothing.

If nobody shoots me down in flames, mine are coming off.

John    

• 4 weeks later...

I've bought five, two bauxite three grey TOPS for use on my 1980 set up, with the added intention of removing the TOPS data on one side of the grey ones and backdating for use on my 1959 period layout.

Now of course all five are fitted with roller bearings as they come. Can anyone recommend a supplier and correct type of whitemetal/resin oil filled axle boxes that I can overlay to filed down w irons? At the prices asked of us these days for stock, we have to get creative!

Hoping I've used the right terminology, TIA, C6T.

I've bought five, two bauxite three grey TOPS for use on my 1980 set up, with the added intention of removing the TOPS data on one side of the grey ones and backdating for use on my 1959 period layout.

Now of course all five are fitted with roller bearings as they come. Can anyone recommend a supplier and correct type of whitemetal/resin oil filled axle boxes that I can overlay to filed down w irons? At the prices asked of us these days for stock, we have to get creative!

Wizard Models, perhaps?

http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/FrameSetShop.php

I wouldn't rush into altering all of these. It was the 1955 Modernisation plan which suggested all wagons above 20ton payload should have roller bearings. I believe this took some time to get underway, but there is a reasonable chance that a few GRAINS were converted by 1959 - especially with Hybox. The conversion of GRAINS appears to have been largely successful. There is one in my collection which has retained oil boxes http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgo/e9bbf3e7These are of an unusual type of two part box and I don't know if they are available in 4mm.

Paul

I wouldn't rush into altering all of these. It was the 1955 Modernisation plan which suggested all wagons above 20ton payload should have roller bearings. I believe this took some time to get underway, but there is a reasonable chance that a few GRAINS were converted by 1959 - especially with Hybox. The conversion of GRAINS appears to have been largely successful. There is one in my collection which has retained oil boxes http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgo/e9bbf3e7These are of an unusual type of two part box and I don't know if they are available in 4mm.

Paul

Wizard BRC019 looks quite similar.

• RMweb Gold

If you do remove the axlebox there will be nowhere for the pinpoint axle to run, so a hole will need to be drilled in the W iron to take a pinpoint bearing and the whitemetal replacement relieved at the rear to clear it.

Mike.

There is one in my collection which has retained oil boxes http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgo/e9bbf3e7These are of an unusual type of two part box and I don't know if they are available in 4mm.

Paul

If I'm looking at the correct image, surely these are standard RCH 'boxes - as per http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2241A.php ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...

Having finally picked up one of these at the Grantham Show this weekend, I took it to bits and read through this thread to get the inside track about what needed to be done.

Brian Kirby's black paint on the inside of the stanchion is a great practical idea - as usual - to cover the shortcoming in this moulding.

The cantrail strip as included by Bachmann obviously caused ructions, but a swift review of Paul Barlett's pictures seems clear - the early Derby lots didn't have the strip, but those by Pressed Steel from B885120 or thereabouts did. So maybe the use of B885053 as a number by Bachmann isn't appropriate, but a simple renumbering cures it for those worried by such matters. No surprise surely that different suppliers produced detail variations in essentially the same wagon - think of the 21t hoppers!

The gentleman with the wagons from the Acorn kits clearly has both tenacity and skill to do six of them, although I wasn't clear why they were blue-green. I bought one years ago, way beyond my capability then and perhaps just feasible now. I must dig it out to see if it could be built as the 1/275 longer wheelbase version with vac brakes. That said the investment of time, for me at least to complete it, would be considerable.

Thanks to all who've contributed.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Further to my last post, I thought it might be worth listing the running numbers of the various batches of these;

B885040 - B885114      BR Derby 1951-53, unfitted, unpiped, no cantrail strip

B885115 - B885509      Pressed Steel 1955 - 56, unfitted, unpiped, cantrail strip

B885610 - B885709      BR Derby 1959 - 60, unfitted, vac piped, instanter or screw couplings, self contained/ hydraulic buffers, no cantrail strip - per Acorn kit built model earlier in thread

The gap B885510 - B885609 was for the long wheelbase vac fitted examples built by Charles Roberts in 1960 - 61 to Dia. 1/275, the bodywork being without cantrail strip, per the photo at the start of this thread.

I've also dug out my unbuilt Acorn kit. As befits etched brass items of this kind, the W irons are not etched along with the solebars, and so could apparently be fitted further apart per Dia. 1/275. You'd need some extra brake shoes, 8 clasp here not the 4 on the 1/271. The roof needs to be rolled/ bent up from a flat sheet - at least if you messed up with this you could now replace with a Bachmann body!

John.

• Thanks 1

Having finally picked up one of these at the Grantham Show this weekend, I took it to bits and read through this thread to get the inside track about what needed to be done.

Brian Kirby's black paint on the inside of the stanchion is a great practical idea - as usual - to cover the shortcoming in this moulding.

The cantrail strip as included by Bachmann obviously caused ructions, but a swift review of Paul Barlett's pictures seems clear - the early Derby lots didn't have the strip, but those by Pressed Steel from B885120 or thereabouts did. So maybe the use of B885053 as a number by Bachmann isn't appropriate, but a simple renumbering cures it for those worried by such matters. No surprise surely that different suppliers produced detail variations in essentially the same wagon - think of the 21t hoppers!

The gentleman with the wagons from the Acorn kits clearly has both tenacity and skill to do six of them, although I wasn't clear why they were blue-green. I bought one years ago, way beyond my capability then and perhaps just feasible now. I must dig it out to see if it could be built as the 1/275 longer wheelbase version with vac brakes. That said the investment of time, for me at least to complete it, would be considerable.

Thanks to all who've contributed.

John.

.....some were blue John....see the Rail magazine article by Paul Bartlett....the hopper pictured in the thread corresponds with the one in his article. I have however since found various other images of these hoppers in blue.

Dave

.....some were blue John....see the Rail magazine article by Paul Bartlett....the hopper pictured in the thread corresponds with the one in his article. I have however since found various other images of these hoppers in blue.

Dave

I have no idea what Rail article this is referring to. Nor do I know of any in Blue.

Bachmann will have been stuck for early pictures of these wagons, why they chose 885053.

Paul Bartlett

JustLiketheRealThing have released the Presstwin wagon in 7mm and it is selling.

The Presstwin was a distinctive member of the BR mid-fifties updating and modernisation of the BR wagon fleet.

I hope Bachmann sit up and take notice and release a Presstwin in 4mm