Scaleforum 2013 - 28 & 29 September

Flymo748

Advance tickets for Scaleforum 2013 are now on sale!

Beat the queues with our on-line e-ticket sales.

Save time and get early entry at 10.15am on the Saturday, and 09.45am on the Sunday.

This year, as last, advance tickets take the form of 'e-tickets' for individuals attending Scaleforum. When you have completed your purchase you will be need to print out the ticket which must be produced at the door. Members using the members' discounted rate will also be required to show their membership card.

There is a link on the Scalefour Society website home page (www.scalefour.org), which will take you straight to where you can purchase your ticket through our normal, secure, on-line shop, or if you wish there is the option of making your purchase using Paypal.

Not only that, but for Scalefour Society members that are coming as part of a group of four or more, you will be able to purchase your tickets for the entire group in advance at the further discounted rate of only £4.00 each. Terms and conditions apply, so please read them carefully. Please note as well that Group Tickets are not E-Tickets but will be sent to you by post.

This discounted group rate will NOT be available on the day!

Non-members still have the advantage of being able to purchase tickets in advance, although they do not have access to the special group prices.

Unlike many on-line booking systems, the Scalefour Society has decided that you should not need to pay a booking fee or a credit card charge, so the price that you pay is exactly the same as you would pay on the day - except that it is more convenient!

The direct link is: http://www.scalefour.org/s4umtickets/etickets.html

Once again you will be able to order a name badge if you want one, which will be available for collection when you come in to the show.

Please note then that Advance Ticket sales this year will cease at some point in the week prior to the show, probably on Thursday 26th September.

If you have any questions, or special requests or issues about Scaleforum ticket sales do please e-mail: tickets@scalefour.org

See you at Aylesbury for Scaleforum 2013!

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Marketing Manager

Scaleforum 2013 - the Layouts

Of course, you would hardly want to buy advance tickets for Scaleforum without knowing what will be there.  This year, the layouts* will be

Allt-y-Graban Road
Fictitious layout represents an alternative existence for the bottom end of the Central Wales Line 1957-67.

Black Gill
Depiction of part of the NE Railway as seen between the early 1950s to late 1960s.

Dubbieside
Dubbieside is based on buildings and a railway setting to be found in Fife and is set in the 1960s.

Elcot Road
A fictitious small branch terminus station located in the Croydon area set in August 1988 and featuring third rail electrification.

Halifax King Cross
A model is based on the Halifax High Level Railway which was operated originally by the NER and L&Y and which is set in 1960.

London Road
The well know LNWR layout now extended and changed to a through Station but still very much pre-Grouping LNWR.

Nottingham Goods
A portrayal of a corner of the Midland Railway Goods Station in Nottingham around 1923.

Simington
A fictitious representation of a small through station set somewhere in the west of England as it would have been in the late 1950s to early 1960s.

Stoke by Nayland
Eastern Region byway in Sufolk, set in the 1950s with much Great Eastern influence evident.

West End
West End is set in the mid 1970s in the North West of England, and represents part of a small terminus, which has survived owing to the existence of freight services "off-stage".

Obbeker
Built to P87 standards, Obbekaer is a typical rural station on a fictitious Danish private railway in South Jutland in the late 1950s.

Test track

provided by the Risborough and District Model Railway Club.

Cheers

Paul Willis

* information is correct at the date of posting.

• 1 month later...

It is now just over a month away from Scaleforum 2013.  This will be the first at the new venue of Stoke Mandeville Stadium, near Aylesbury.

Sales of Advance Tickets are going well.  There is still opportunity for you to purchase them if you wish to avoid the early-morning queues, and as an extra benefit enjoy early entry to the show.  You can find the online booking facility at http://www.scalefour.org/s4umtickets/etickets.html and there is no extra charge for postage.

As a taster of the treats in store, here are a couple of examples of the layouts that will be there:

Halifax King Cross has been seen several times in the pages of Model Railway Journal...

post-3210-0-47065600-1376982548_thumb.jpg

And the construction of Elcot Road has been serialised in Rail Express.  At Scaleforum, it will be shown as the project reaches completion:

post-3210-0-40621800-1376982685_thumb.jpg

There will be more pictures to come, as well as details of the demonstrators and those essential traders that will be present.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Isn't halfax King Cross about 15 years old?

And? Railwells had a layout far older this year. I haven't seen Halifax Kings Cross before and very much look forward to seeing it.

Scaleforum 2013 - the Layouts

Of course, you would hardly want to buy advance tickets for Scaleforum without knowing what will be there.  This year, the layouts* will be

Far more important to some is "What trade is going to be there?"

We know the layouts are going to be a high standard and at least one that will appeal - it is a given. But if the wrong balance of trade is there or that important one you need then may as well spend travel money on postage.

Did I suggest that you couldn't enjoy it?

I'm not sure that its quite as iconic as Leighton Buzzard though is it really ? :D

No that's very true you didn't and I'm sure I shall. I'm still not sure what the age of Halifax Kings Cross has to do with anything though.

Perhaps it's a generational thing but I wouldn't realy describe Leighton Buzzard as iconic, at least not to me. I understand it's place in the history of railway modelling but it didn't really do much for me when I saw it. Given that the crowds were constantly three deep at Railwells though I am quite happy to conceed that I am in a minority with that opinion.

Far more important to some is "What trade is going to be there?"

We know the layouts are going to be a high standard and at least one that will appeal - it is a given. But if the wrong balance of trade is there or that important one you need then may as well spend travel money on postage.

I'm only too happy to oblige... Here's the list of traders as at today. Obviously any last minute alterations will be notified if they take place.

247 Developments

ABS Models

Acc+Ess Protocab Limited

Alan Gibson

Ambis Engineering

Branchlines

Brassmasters Scale Models

Cambrian Models

C&L Finescale

Ceynix Railway Trees

Cheltenham Model Centre

Comet Models

Coopercraft

Dart Castings

Dave Bradwell

DC Kits

Eileen’s Emporium

Extreme Etchings/Shawplan

Falcon Figures

Golden Age Models

Gramodels

Green Scene

G W Models

High Level Kits

Hobby Holidays

Isinglass Drawings

Judith Edge Kits

London Road Models

Martin Finney Locomotive Kits

Mike King – Southern Drawings

Model Railway Developments

Mousa Models (Bill Bedford

MSS models

Parkside Dundas

Penbits Model Railways

Phoenix Precision Paints

Prickley Pear Products

Priory Books

Railroom Electronics

Replica Railways

Road Transport Images

Roger Carpenter

Roxey Mouldings

RT Models

South Eastern Finecas

Ten Commandments

Timber Tracks

Wealistic Models

Wild Swan Publications

Wizard Models

ZTC Controls

Comprehensive details, including website links for the traders (where available) can be found over on the Scalefour Society website.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Thanks Paul, great - saved postage will pay for the fuel and entrance fee - the layouts will be the icing on the cake. Now all I need to do is rework the list and find my way round the trade with enough time to relax and absorb some of the modelling inspiration.

I may just have to take a rucksack!

• RMweb Premium

Oh good, Martin Finney's got his trade stand up. Time to get hold of some inside motion kits.

Pity no David Geen....

David is only doing the shows that are in his neck of the woods ie. oop norf, plus Rail Wells, as he uses that as part of his holiday. This was from the horses mouth

at Expo EM.

SS

The biggest imbalance is that there are more traders than available money!

Wally

Are you suggesting that I take you off my list to save myself a £ or two or spend it elsewhere? I've just as much available money as I have ever had it is all about finer prioritisation of spending, less on frivolities and more on value for money.

If anyone is interested, I'll be helping out on the DEMU stand for the Saturday only. I'll be going on about laser cut buildings if anyone wants to come over for a chat . . . .

Some of my latest stuff on the go :)

Cheers

Tim

post-340-0-14200300-1377021417_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-79792100-1377021431_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-48405400-1377021483_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-99439600-1377021526_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-68299100-1377021644_thumb.jpg

Are you suggesting that I take you off my list to save myself a £ or two or spend it elsewhere? I've just as much available money as I have ever had it is all about finer prioritisation of spending, less on frivolities and more on value for money.

Kenton,

Thanks for the thoughts re supplying me some money but I won't be able to take up your kind offer. I must say that since retiring this time last year funds are more scarce together with the fact that I have been recently diagnosed with M N D a degenerative nervous disease which has left me wheel chair bound and is gradually restricting use of arms and hands modelling is no longer much of a possibility, so savings are being made that way!

Enjoy the show and I look forward to your report on the highlights.

Wally

If anyone is interested, I'll be helping out on the DEMU stand for the Saturday only. I'll be going on about laser cut buildings if anyone wants to come over for a chat . . . .

Will do; I want to have a look at your stuff! Will you be bringing any of the earlier stuff that you have been showing on the Society's forum?

Mark

A little more trader information...

Unfortunately Dave Bradwell will be unable to attend in person due to a family illness. However, his stand will be present, manned by Bob How and the Scalefour Society is grateful to him for doing so.

Our thought are with Dave at this difficult time for him.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Thanks Paul, great - saved postage will pay for the fuel and entrance fee - the layouts will be the icing on the cake. Now all I need to do is rework the list and find my way round the trade with enough time to relax and absorb some of the modelling inspiration.

Hi Kenton,

Last year, we produced lists of the traders for the assistance of the visitors, arranged in different ways.  If you have a look at this post http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18521#p18521 then you will see what I mean.

Please don't print these off for reference as they are LAST year's traders, and NOT this year's.

I'll make enquiries if we are doing the same thing for the bigger show at Aylesbury.

Cheers

Paul Willis

I understand that Inter-City Models will not be able to attend due to a family illness. Replica Railways are taking their place. (Replica are on the list above but Inter-City have not been removed).

Whilst waiting for the downloadable guide to Scaleforum to appear in the next few days, here are a couple more tasters of layouts that will be on show...

Nottingham Goods has a plethora of pre-Grouping goods stock for the wagon enthusiast:

post-3210-0-94863200-1377845594_thumb.jpg

Dubbieside has been an established layout from Scotland that is making the trip down south to be at Scaleforum:

post-3210-0-89091500-1377845711_thumb.jpg

We look forward to seeing you at Aylesbury.  Don't forget to bring your shopping lists, and do come and have a chat on the Society Stand about any aspects of finescale modelling.

Cheers

Paul Willis

I understand that Inter-City Models will not be able to attend due to a family illness. Replica Railways are taking their place. (Replica are on the list above but Inter-City have not been removed).

Thanks for noting this.  Changes have now been made to remove InterCity Models from the listing, to avoid confusion.

Unfortunately my superb IT skills appear to have stuffed up the font size, so you'll need your modelling glasses to read it now <sigh>

However on the plus side, it won't be long until the all-singing, all-dancing downloadable Show Guide is published, and full details will be available.

Cheers

Paul Willis

scaleforumcover.jpg

The Scaleforum 2013 showguide is now freely available for download.

As well as describing the exhibits, this guide also contains links to all of the traders, a list of other attractions near to the show, and a timetable of trains to Aylesbury from both Birmingham and London with the connecting free bus service to the show.

There's four weeks to go, and it's never too early to plan your shopping list ;)

Archived