Scaleforum 2013 - 28 & 29 September

Flymo748

The place is half-packed. Hopefully they'll have sorted out where people should park by tomorrow *rolls eyes* 'cos there's absolutely no signage to say where you should go....

I'm just back. A better description would be 'half empty' I nearly always attend Railex at the same venue and it is overcrowded by comparison.

I have to agree - if you didn't know how to get there and didn't know where the hospital car park was you are lost. With the new housing, roundabouts and total lack of signage to the show (from both directions). A lot to learn from David's organisation of Railex. Even if you did know the way the absence of car park marshalling (apparently you require a ticket for the hospital car park - from a marshal ???). But the organisers do have an excuse - first time at the venue.

There was more than enough space for more layouts/trade (again a bigger venue to get used to) or to look at it another way more space to wander about in.

The show layouts were all of exceptional standard even though usual early operational problems seemed to beset every layout I approached. London Road really seemed to be having a bad morning and hand pushing seemed to be the only operation to get a loco out of the fiddle yard. The only layout that seemed to be fully operational was the astounding Halifax King Cross.

A special thanks to Brian for an excellent demonstration of P87 wheels (a gauge I have absolytely no interest in) and that must have been pretty obvious as I was far more interested in the lathe!

Trade - just what I wanted (JE, Roxey, Eileens, Pheonix and RT Models, all managed to exchange cash for items) only trader missing was Dragon Models. I also wasn't quick enough off the mark with one purchase (my fai;t) sold out by second pass. The bring and buy was disappointing, several folk commenting on that)

Good show, a few things to learn about new venue. still worth the visit. Oh, and was only asked "why don't you try P4?" twice.

• RMweb Gold

I agree signage to the show seems to be totally absent but the satnav was spot on so dead easy for me. The car park was excellent a 10:15 I got shown to a space within 100ft of the door, didn't need a ticket if under the three hour limit ;)

Trade was excellent, layouts were very good too though a couple were a bit quiet on operation in the first hour. Walked away with four books I was looking for and a pile of parts. Only two items weren't in stock as someone bought 10 as the show opened, so no complaints. :)

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is going to Scaleforum, please can you pop over to see Paul at Coopercraft and tell him to look on RMWeb on the small traders section -  a post called "Anyone Know Anyone At Coopercraft" - lots of people are trying to get in touch with him and he's aviding us all.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I do apologise if anyone wanted to speak to me today, due to problems caused by someone else, I've had to rush back to shropshire to sort the matter out myself which I'm currently sat in the back of my bus in ellesmere on a wedding special so won't get back to aylesbury till 05.30 in the morning so I do apologise if I look tired tomorrow, going for a kip now before having something to eat and driving them back.

I thought it was a great show, no more squeezing past, no more scuseme shuffles. Great. The standard of the layouts was as usual to a very high standard. I thought Alt-y-Graban Road was awesome - always something moving. Trade was a superb - even if Mr Masokits was missing. Well done to the committee with moving and providing a first class show on the first attempt.

Mike

• Administrators

Some good stuff and excellent trade. Did seem quiet compared to Railex but from a punters point of view, that's a good thing. The organisers will think differently of course!

Bus service worked well from the station but in niether direction were there more than a dozen on it. Does this prove modellers don't travel by train?

A few photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/sets/72157635986502186/

Guest oldlugger

Even Halifax King Cross had points which stopped the engines traversing at slow speed. Could P4 points be an issue? ( I will duck and run here). Perhaps it's just me putting off the engines.

My P4 layout runs very well, especially over the points. I wouldn't contemplate taking it to Scaleforum unless everything was running like a Swiss watch; I'd spend a day prior to the show running stock up and down; up and down; up and down, checking for stalling and leaving any locos that performed below par, behind.

All the best

Simon

.....A special thanks to Brian for an excellent demonstration of P87 wheels (a gauge I have absolytely no interest in) and that must have been pretty obvious as I was far more interested in the lathe!

I spent much of my time using that lathe! Very addictive. There is a Swiss C5/6 which now has front pony wheels that will go through P87 crossings. Just the rest of the engine and tender to do......

Brian's Proto450 / Proto-T demonstration track was sheer madness, though.... Flangeway gaps of 0.1mm????

As Rod Cameron remarked: "When people get older, they go to larger scales. Brian goes the other way....."

• RMweb Premium

My P4 layout runs very well, especially over the points. I wouldn't contemplate taking it to Scaleforum unless everything was running like a Swiss watch; I'd spend a day prior to the show running stock up and down; up and down; up and down, checking for stalling and leaving any locos that performed below par, behind.

I'm sure that most layout owners do that regardless of gauge or scale - the problem is that you then have to break down the layout, transport it in car, van or trailer, build up again in a hall that may not be as level as home with different temperatures and humidity and hope (pray) that it still all works just the same - most times everything will be OK but we have to accept that for whatever reason there will be times when things go wrong.

• RMweb Premium

Some modern Sports Halls seem to have a bit of a 'curse effect' on layout running. Perhaps Leatherhead was old enough to behave itself with regards to this? 

Thanks for the brilliant photo's so far. I particularly like the ones from Phil Parker and Black and Decker Boy, your level crossing shot is for MRJ I suggest!

Anyone lucky enough to be going today please say hello from me to Geoff of Comet Models. Thanks.

Guest oldlugger

I'm sure that most layout owners do that regardless of gauge or scale - the problem is that you then have to break down the layout, transport it in car, van or trailer, build up again in a hall that may not be as level as home with different temperatures and humidity and hope (pray) that it still all works just the same - most times everything will be OK but we have to accept that for whatever reason there will be times when things go wrong.

I wish I'd not bothered breathing a word on this apparent "sensitive" issue! My few words were merely to say that just because track is built to tight tolerances doesn't mean it's any less difficult to run stock reliably. I've exhibited at loads of shows (by the way). My layout sits on an ironing board at home with no fancy trestle or levelling devices; an uneven exhibition hall wouldn't affect the layout in the slightest. I also live in the south of France; it is incredibly dusty (more than any hall or car) all the time, due to the Mistral and fine airborne limestone dust. It is one of the hottest and driest parts of Europe, but my layout works just fine. Temperatures here can regularly hit 40°C+. Now, why don't the armchair modellers amongst you and the others who've posted on my comments, bring your magnum opuses down here to Provence mid Summer and run them at an exhibition and see if the work beautifully?

No need for me to bring St. Mary Hoo to the UK then, as the critics will be lined up in force waiting for the first train to stall or go wrong, or for the third rail to lose its current. Then the orchestrated hysterics will ensue; that alone would justify the entrance fee for the cognescenti. I'll keep it firmly in France, even though it has a future Scaleforum invite.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Well I woke up this morning (to quote an oft used lyric) and realised just how much I spent yesterday on the bring and buy stand. Don't think there were any frivolous purchases but I'll go and have a quiet look before SWMBO works out how many bags I was smuggling in last night...

Hats off to the organisers. I thought the new show was excellent. Seemed a bit strange not being in Leatherhead but just as Expo EM moved from Bletchley a few years ago things change. It's the people that make the show anyway and I thought the quality and range of layouts was good. Blackgill was particularly impressive (got to see the Crosti 9F with the Consett ore train) although like most layouts there were a few Saturday morning running issues. Maybe the S4Soc should do a tea towel, I'd have one...

Traders seemed happy and I thought the presence of a Cheltenham Models a welcome addition.

I know the venue has parking issues but the stewards (from the Risborough club I think) were doing an excellent job of cramming quarts into pint pots. We were directed to a bijou alcove without fuss. OK, for some the new location is going to mean a traverse around the M25 but for others (me included) it means no more traverses around the M25 :sungum:

All in all an excellent show in the new home and congratulations to all involved.

Definitely worth the trip if you're contemplating how to spend your Sunday.

Things go wrong for no reason, good old Murphy's Law.

I agree with the veracity of Murphy's law - some things are down to luck - snagged wires, items dropped etc. but remember that the definition of Murphy's Law is "What can go wrong will go wrong".

Cruel experience has taught me (and keeps reminding me) the truth of Gary Players'* observation that it's a strange thing but the more he practices, the luckier he gets.  :nono:

* Or was it Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino or Ethel Merman?

Ian

• RMweb Premium

(got to see the Crosti 9F with the Consett ore train) 

Can you imagine what it would be like to have a really good sound programme for that particular train?

As discussed with friends at Newark last week, we think the future of sound is more in the 'round' rather than in the loco. This means you get the train sound not just a bit of a chuff, chuff + some other hissing and a few clanks.. On a layout like Blackgill it could work. There is 'scenic/background' sound being used already, in fact I think I've seen a layout  on here that has experimented with this 'trains in the landscape' sound?

If the film and theatre can have superb syncsound then there must be technicians around that can create the equipment to create this' train approaching/ passing/going away' illusion?

I think someone once mentioned the recordings of Peter Handford in this respect. I have one L.P. (yes L.P.) of steam on the Devon banks. There is a superb track of a double headed express climbing Dainton that starts with 'almost' silence, apart from some crows and 'country' atmosphere and then the train is heard in the far distance. The train approaches (sound is magnificent as you can imagine) passes and enters the tunnel, there is a whistle and then the peg goes on and the country sound returns with just the faintest of receding train sound; gone all cold just thinking about it! What we need is the P4/EM FSOO approach to sound (other scales are available :mail: )

I'm almost convinced to not buy any more sound for any of my loco's and wait and see!

Apologies for being somewhat OT but what super scale modelling is missing IMHO is super scale sound.

P

Hello

I had a great time yesterday operating Aylesbury Town and talking to various people about the layout. 

Plus our Test Track also saw some use.

Below are some shots from the balcony

post-7053-0-77918600-1380451119_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-61963200-1380451136_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-28172600-1380451152_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-23096600-1380451169_thumb.jpg

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

Archived