Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling Pet Hates

• RMweb Gold

...might be a bit of a commute Pat but why not travel to Lincolnshire, stand in a safe place where your eye can follow the alignment of the track from rail level and then compare the track height relative to 10 or 15 adjacent ground heights....it ain't flat!!

When modelling the bland and featureless (generalism...no specific target) the emphasis is much more on picking out these fewer features/details and ensuring that you have faithfully replicated them.

Dave

Well, I was thinking of Lincolnshire myself, and then contradicted myself (as you do) as I've undulations going on on a part of the layout near the gates at Wainfleet. To be fair though, a lot of the layout is flat and rectangular at the moment.

Does anyone do a vet's surgery in 4mm, with a walking figure carrying a cat basket?

I'll get my coat....

Hornby does a pet food shop. And you can make / adapt a whicker basket for the cat. If you are up for adapting them this would help you along.

Just found this Thread,My pet hate is Wheels,People put their spare wheels onto layouts,you would never have seen loco driving wheels by the trackside,even see it in Thomas the Tank,(not that i watch Thomas the tank as im 55)  Garry

...might be a bit of a commute Pat but why not travel to Lincolnshire, stand in a safe place where your eye can follow the alignment of the track from rail level and then compare the track height relative to 10 or 15 adjacent ground heights....it ain't flat!!  

When modelling the bland and featureless (generalism...no specific target) the emphasis is much more on picking out these fewer features/details and ensuring that you have faithfully replicated them.

Dave

But surely such an impeccable source as Lord Peter Wimsey could not be wrong ;).

Some companies had to bend the goods sheds, never mind the tracks; e.g. the L&Y in the Pennines...

attachicon.gifbendy shed.jpg

Picture of former L&Y goods shed, Halifax from Google Maps.

Are you sure it didn't just warp in the northern damp 'cos the contractor was too cheap to use proper exterior grade stone? ;)

My pet hate is people who tell you something is wrong on a model despite evidence to the contrary.

I've had that.  An "Expert Professional Model Builder" once told me that the rock in this picture was compeltely unrealistic and never appears in nature:

2012_02_24_0159.JPG

Now there are all sorts of things wrong with that bit (and some, done by my Railway Civil Engineer father, completely right) but the bloke had plainly never been to Dawlish.  He's not spoken to me since I pointed this out!

I may also have mentioned before that Dad is normally very calm, but several times I've nearly had to haul him off a "railway enthusiast" who has been holding forth (generally at a beer festival or the like) using all the railway jargon but slightly wrongly, before starting to chest-poke Dad saying he couldn't have a clue about some engineering issue because the Enthusiast was currently building it on his layout/had read about it in Model Rail/heard about it from a bloke called Bernard at the Model Railway Club who has a really big collection of books etc. ;)

I have passed on the remarks about square and level baseboards to my "tame joiner/cabinet maker " and his comment was **** *** followed by an observation to the effect of "those who so complain are those who cannot build square and level baseboards!" That's why I have a "tame joiner/cabinet maker"!    :declare: 

I remember seeing a layout of Dawlish once and I too was struck by the redness of the rock and it was only later that I discovered that it really did look like that.The worst thing however was the unrealistic locomotive stock,you won't believe this, but they had ugly big square fireboxes and boilers that were a strange almost conical shape.Nothing like proper real NER locomotives at all.Someone told me they were GWR loco's and this is what they looked like,but I just can't believe that,surely not. :jester:

I have passed on the remarks about square and level baseboards to my "tame joiner/cabinet maker " and his comment was **** *** followed by an observation to the effect of "those who so complain are those who cannot build square and level baseboards!" That's why I have a "tame joiner/cabinet maker"!    :declare: 

You couldn't let me have his phone no. could you?

Iainp.

Surely the object of the exercise is to create the illusion of the railway in the landscape. If you can do that whilst retaining regular shaped & sized boards (ie reasonable to transport) then you have success.

As to pet hates, mine has always been backscenes. How many fantastic layouts have a backscene that looks ass if it was painted by a chimpanzee with a paintbrush stuck up its **** ? Of course this observation causes me personal stress as I have to come up with a way to make the backscene of our new layout look like I haven't painted it with a brush up said orifice or face the criticism / Michael removal. I always prefer 3-dimensional backscenes where possible and I'm not a great advocate of half- or low-relief buildings. I'm up a gum tree really.

.....and that is why he is a cabinet maker and not an informed railway modeller. Railways weren't built across flat and level assemblies of wood....they were driven through landscapes....which were just about anything but flat & level.

Dave

.....and that is why he is a cabinet maker and not an informed railway modeller. Railways weren't built across flat and level assemblies of wood....they were driven through landscapes....which were just about anything but flat & level.

Dave

If you insist:

AUSTRAINtrain2.jpg

;)

Calm down Dave, you'll blow a gasket, and we get the picture - you prefer open frame, but as I always say 'each to their own', a lot of modellers like me just model what inside the railway fence so there's not too much scenic work especially if it's an urban scene, then a 'flat earth' is sufficient. :sungum:

Or maybe if you were to build your baseboards in the shape of a large sphere 1/76th the size of the earth in 4mm scale and fully scenic the lot,dead easy.Might take a while if built to P4 standards though.

You don't need the whole sphere, just as far as the horizon...

people criticizing a perfectly good layout for using the "Wrong shade of NSE red" (Personal story that one!) :nono:

Just ask them what colour perspective they think you should be using. That should shut them up because unless they're artists they've almost certainly never head of it. I'm convinced that a lot of models look more toylike because they're painted the "correct" colour but that's too intense when we're looking at it from the equivalent of at least fifty and more often several hundred feet away.

Hornby does a pet food shop. And you can make / adapt a whicker basket for the cat. If you are up for adapting them this would help you along.

Thanks.  Not sure that the pet food shop would really help in this instance.  My cat is quite happy to eat food.  It's just the trips to the vet that she isn't too keen on. :jester:

Archived